Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 3, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #376 of 2,966
I use my Pono line out into my amps, find it works fine. Will try on the LC when the kazillion hour break in is completed...
(have the X3, didn't love it, gave it to my daughter, got the DX90, better than the X3 but like the Pono best of the 3)

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #377 of 2,966
Just got the Carbon today. I have heard it several times before for extended sessions. This is a very good, versatile amp. I guess the most encouraging statement that I can make about it, is that it has the Cavalli house sound. What that means to me, in a word, is "engaging." All the Cavalli amps that I've heard have that same ability. 

It's very early on, so I won't say much more than I like the Carbon very much. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #378 of 2,966
  Just got the Carbon today. I have heard it several times before for extended sessions. This is a very good, versatile amp. I guess the most encouraging statement that I can make about it, is that it has the Cavalli house sound. What that means to me, in a word, is "engaging." All the Cavalli amps that I've heard have that same ability. 

I see you didn't forget the powercord 
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #379 of 2,966
Got my #137 LC on 18 Nov delivered to Singapore.

Always on (whole chain except N6), burn-in with music playing for >200hrs

Cayin N6 -> Coax - > Schiit Gumby -> Balance XLR -> Cavalli Liquid Carbon (Unity Gain) -> DUM XLR -> MrSpeakers Ether

The vocals were a little bright for my taste right out of the box. That tamed over time (most obvious change for me). The rest I can't really describe, except it sounded a little, slightly better ... a little more ... smoother ... a little more ... sucking me in.

All I can say was the I'm loving this setup more and more each day. Most of the time I stop thinking of what setup I have and enjoy the music.

It's very much beyond 150 hours ... so the sound should be stable. Maybe it's just my brains burning in now.

One thing I love about the LC is how well it plays at very low volume. I typically play at 1x gain with the volume pot at 9-10 o'clock.

Sometimes, I listen at 8.30 o'clock and I can still clearly enjoy the whole song ... every nuances and notes clearly. Of course, the room is fairly quiet with doors, windows closed and curtains drawn (aircon on). But I do have a waterfall about 25m away just beyond my windows/curtains.

I have not found the need to go beyond 11 o'clock when using the Ether. If I switch to the Alpha Prime, I'll have to go beyond 12noon to about 1pm. Maybe a little more.

Have not done an A/B with the iFi iCan Micro yet so I don't want to comment on the differences. Now, need to find more time to listen to music 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #380 of 2,966
Dec 3, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #381 of 2,966

When you say "engaging".  Is it the Woo Audio WA5 or Ether kind where you literally "feel" and are immersed in the music or the Schiit Audio or Grado kind where the music is forward and lively? 

Quote:

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #382 of 2,966
Taking a listen while I'm on kazillion hour break in, sounding pretty nice. Source is an old iPod touch on shuffle/repeat, so not sounding source the best available (but good for continuous break in). Kinda fun-haven't used the Touch in a while, so the music on it was loaded a while back. Fun to hear some of this stuff I haven't heard on a while. Weekend I'll get to plug into a better source and listen SERIOUSLY!

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #383 of 2,966
Taking a listen while I'm on kazillion hour break in, sounding pretty nice. Source is an old iPod touch on shuffle/repeat, so not sounding source the best available (but good for continuous break in). Kinda fun-haven't used the Touch in a while, so the music on it was loaded a while back. Fun to hear some of this stuff I haven't heard on a while. Weekend I'll get to plug into a better source and listen SERIOUSLY!
I took my Macbook Pro and created a Playlist of all my favorite music. The list lasts 6 days. So the amp gets burned in with the music it is going to be used with. I'm using Audirvana Plus set to max upsampling. This is plugged into my Emotiva Stealth Dac1 via USB. Then the Emotiva balanced outs to the Liquid Carbon balanced in. The full Monte! So the idea of Burn-In isn't just to warm up the amp but to give it some input, some music to exercise those little chips. Make them do their work. But here is the question. Is an ipod touch, as capable of Burning - in, as my full - blown setup is? Probably nothing to worry about.

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #384 of 2,966

Lol, I almost feel like "Liquid Carbon Kazillion-Hour Break-In" should be a thread in and of itself... because you know, we don't have enough threads.  
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #386 of 2,966
I didn't think it mattered what the source of music was for break in, just that sound was going in (there are wire noise break in tracks out there, which some say are best for break in, others say make no difference). Balanced vs single ended input also shouldn't make a difference, because of the splitter.

And, yes, I'll be starting "The kazillion hour break in" thread and the "Impressions on the impressions on the Liquid Carbon" threads any day now. I may also start "Getting your hearing tested before getting a dac and having impressions on the Liquid Carbon" about the same time. Can't have too many Liquid Carbon threads! :)

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #387 of 2,966
I didn't think it mattered what the source of music was for break in, just that sound was going in (there are wire noise break in tracks out there, which some say are best for break in, others say make no difference). Balanced vs single ended input also shouldn't make a difference, because of the splitter.

And, yes, I'll be starting "The kazillion hour break in" thread and the "Impressions on the impressions on the Liquid Carbon" threads any day now. I may also start "Getting your hearing tested before getting a dac and having impressions on the Liquid Carbon" about the same time. Can't have too many Liquid Carbon threads!
smily_headphones1.gif

Please do this. Please: they can always get deleated later!

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #388 of 2,966
I really need to stop reading this thread.

I haven't even got my shipping confirmation yet and all I want to do is start burning in my Liquid Carbon...
frown.gif

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #389 of 2,966
OK, but first, I'll start "What to have for Dinner before listening to and developing impressions on the Liquid Carbon", which will have to follow my "What to have for breakfast before deciding on what to have for dinner before listening and developing impressions on the Liquid Carbon" thread, but, before that...
:rolleyes:

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #390 of 2,966
  I really need to stop reading this thread.

I haven't even got my shipping confirmation yet and all I want to do is start burning in my Liquid Carbon...
frown.gif

Tell me about it 
triportsad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back