Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 4, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #406 of 2,966
Have you received your mini yet? 95% of my music is now streamed and been looking for a small streamer (Tidal ideally) and was looking at the various RaspberryPi streamers but they didn't seem todo internet based steaming. This hpwever maybe exactly what I'm looking for.

I just ordered today.  I have not used any streaming service to this point.  I was going to get a notebook to keep in the bedroom to use as a homeshare on ITunes.  Now I will get to stream from my desktop(all music ALAC ripped from CD) and find out what all the fuss about Tidal is about.  I know several people who rave about Tidal.  Audio Advisor has the white version in stock.  The black is supposed to come in on 12/08.  I ordered black so it will be about 11/14 days before I receive it.  Also already have an Ipad for the Lightning app so this made much more sense than buying another laptop.

I use TIDAL, like the sound (though, tbh, haven't really done a one on one comparison with Spotify or others. Do find the sound to be really good, though). User interface, not so good. Doesn't have good playlists like some others do, hard to find things on it. My daughter, who doesn't care if it sounds better or not, keeps bugging me to get Spotify, and I keep looking for other high resolution options, but haven't changed as of yet.
I was tempted by the streamer as well, but there are really enough ways to stream these days, and I'm expecting LH Labs stuff that should stream (one of these days...)

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #409 of 2,966
  Do you guys think this will power the he5le well? 

I can't recall the power requirements for the he5le

I know its not enough for the he-6

38 Ω
Efficiency88.0 dB SPL/mW

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #411 of 2,966
  The fine folks from RHA introduced me to good Scotch whiskey at RMAF.  Now I have a bottle of whiskey that cost way too much and I know what all the fuss is about.  I still can't stand bourbon and such tho.

I'm going to bring them a bottle of mezcal when I see them at CES.  

That was some fine drink they had with them, for sure. I've been occasionally enjoying two fingers of Caol Ila while listening to the LC. I have to thank Dan Clark for introducing me to that brand.

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #412 of 2,966

Yes, it has more than enough power for the he5le. At 88.0 dB SPL/mW, you'd need 0.5 watts to hit 115 SPL, which would be extremely (uncomfortably) loud for most music. I believe that Alex said the Carbon will do up to 1.5 watt sustained, and 2.8 watt peaks...

Please read:
http://nwavguy.blogspot.ca/2011/09/more-power.html

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #413 of 2,966
Mine has completed the burn in process.  The Liquid carbon does resemble many sound characteristics of the GS-X MKII but to a lesser degree.  Through the balanced headphone output, this amp exhibits wide soundstage, reasonably depth, and generous bass output with very nice clarity.  It is very transparent and scale well with higher end source.  However, it can't quite match the "sense of power" of larger amps and falls a little short in the depth of the soundstage department when directly compared to my Headroom Balanced Ultra Desktop & Ultra Desktop amplifiers with a dedicated power supply unit.  Overall this is a great great sounding amplifier for the price.  I highly recommended it to anyone.  

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #414 of 2,966
The fine folks from RHA introduced me to good Scotch whiskey at RMAF.  Now I have a bottle of whiskey that cost way too much and I know what all the fuss is about.  I still can't stand bourbon and such tho.

I'm going to bring them a bottle of mezcal when I see them at CES.  

That was some good whiskey that they had.

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #415 of 2,966
CES sounds like fun, I'm jealous.

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #416 of 2,966

I don't (yet, if ever). I'm going to try it. Just ordered some used HE-6 off Audiogon. Will report back after 1) phones arrive, 2) LC arrives, 3) a gazillion hours of burn-in. If it don't work, they have the speaker tap adapter included. Or one of you will buy them!

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #417 of 2,966
Oops! Wrong LC thread! :xf_eek:

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #418 of 2,966
It's been covered so many times. The amp is capable of both SE and BA output, but if you use SE more than 15% of the time, it sends a secret signal back to Cavalli HQ through the tiny wormhole build into the Kobiconn connector (nobody looks there!), and Dr. Cavalli dispatches a squad of ninjas to come steal your Carbon and give it to somebody more deserving who won't waste 3/4 of its power. 

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #419 of 2,966
It's been covered so many times. The amp is capable of both SE and BA output, but if you use SE more than 15% of the time, it sends a secret signal back to Cavalli HQ through the tiny wormhole build into the Kobiconn connector (nobody looks there!), and Dr. Cavalli dispatches a squad of ninjas to come steal your Carbon and give it to somebody more deserving who won't waste 3/4 of its power. 

:)

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #420 of 2,966

this is my choice for POST OF THE YEAR!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back