Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 2, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #346 of 2,966

I'm curious if you'd try it just for grins and giggles.  I find it hard to imagine that the extra power from the balanced LC will not make the HD650 sound SIGNIFICANTLY better than just using the Mojo alone.  The amp section on the Hugo is nothing to write home about and I think the Mojo uses the same setup.

Will do - only must state up front that work schedule has kept me busy. I have barely had time to login and keep up with Head-Fi. The soonest I will be back to significant listening is after next week.

Just to keep the facts straight there is no 'amp section' in the Hugo/Mojo. It's the discrete analogue output of the DAC. The Mojo is essentially full time variable line-out and there is no traditional amp section. If you don't like the 'amp' you are directly saying you don't like the DACs analogue output. You can't separate the two. Rob Watts has posted extensively on this.

Sorry for the OT.

No worries - not OT as it relates to the original question of Mojo. However when I consider the line-output from the Mojo, I am also considering how it interacts with standard external amplifiers. Most line outputs have very high impedance values, to better interact with an external pre-amp or amplifier. High impedance means it sends voltage and not much current, right - I forget? But due to the low impedance value, I think I will likely still prefer its sound directly connected to my headphones versus sending it through an external amplifier.

If I recall correctly, when trying this on the demo of the Carbon, the sound just did not seem as clear to me as it did directly from the Mojo. It was as-if I were listening to a lesser DAC, versus the detailed sound of the DAC I heard when connected directly to Mojo. This was with the demo, and I did not connect to my final version of the Liquid Carbon (having just completed burn-in before work schedule picked up).

If you have an amplifier that is specifically matched to a low impedance input source, that would likely provide a different scenario. But I suspect most amplifiers, the Liquid Carbon included, expect their source to have a high impedance characteristic. I'll let you know in about a week and a half.

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #347 of 2,966
FYI, as I was asking for an update on my order, I did confirm that the website will say "Sold Out" once the last unit is gone. Still available as of 12/2. Those still on the fence should make a decision soon.

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #348 of 2,966
I like listening on my bed, but don't think it would be very comfortable on the fence, hahahahaha :D

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #349 of 2,966
Thinking of getting a DAP to use just as a music player for the LC to streamline things a little vs. using laptop. Will be using the Ifi Micro as DAC initially so not concerned about the amp or DAC capabilities of the DAP.

Would the FiiO X5 be a good choice? Any other recommendations or any reason a DAP in general as a music player would be inferior to using a laptop w/ Jriver?
The Fiio X3 also has optical out and it's cheaper.  The X5 works fine, though, I have one and used it to drive the DAC-19 and LC at RMAF.

You might also consider getting a Raspberry Pi and using something like Volumio.  That's probably your cheapest bet for a solid transport.  Just make sure the ifi drivers are supported in linux.

FiiO DAPs are a great choice if you're ok with the interface. The X5 with its two mSD slots and seperate coaxial jack will be my preferred choice as a transport. Actually it's what I intend on using.

All FiiO DAPs use coaxial output, not optical.

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #350 of 2,966
FiiO DAPs are a great choice if you're ok with the interface. The X5 with its two mSD slots and seperate coaxial jack will be my preferred choice as a transport. Actually it's what I intend on using.

Duh, I was thinking one thing and wrote another.  Sorry, I blame my newborn.

I prefer coaxial to optical given the choice because the cables are more resilient.

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #351 of 2,966

I prefer coaxial to optical given the choice because the cables are more resilient.

Newborns are MUCH more fun and fulfilling!! Congrats btw! :D

I hate being the bean counter but it helps other members who otherwise didn't know. :wink_face:

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #352 of 2,966
Newborns are MUCH more fun and fulfilling!! Congrats btw!
biggrin.gif

I hate being the bean counter but it helps other members who otherwise didn't know.
wink_face.gif

Thanks for the congrats and thanks for the corrections.  I like to think that everything I post may come up in a search sometime when someone is looking for info.  I hate to think that I may post something that's factually incorrect so I definitely appreciate the corrections.

beerchug.gif

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #354 of 2,966
I'm using my Pono Player for my DAP. It has both line out and woo-hoo balanced outputs. Mine holds 264gb. It's MY end game DAP. I got my MacBook to stay awake and have been burning in the LC continuously (without headphones) for two days. I think the LC sounds amazing as is. I'm a little worried about changing it's most excellent sound, but i'm gonna let it go for the full six days. I'm stupefied there are still some available. Can we please sell out this run so I won't be tempted to get a second one?

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #355 of 2,966
  I'm using my Pono Player for my DAP. It has both line out and woo-hoo balanced outputs. Mine holds 264gb. It's MY end game DAP. I got my MacBook to stay awake and have been burning in the LC continuously (without headphones) for two days. I think the LC sounds amazing as is. I'm a little worried about changing it's most excellent sound, but i'm gonna let it go for the full six days. I'm stupefied there are still some available. Can we please sell out this run so I won't be tempted to get a second one?

Don't do that. Once you reach 150 hours you must cryogenically cool it, to lock in the good sounding electrons. The next time you power it up you must leave it on..............forever.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #356 of 2,966
1+ on Pono as digital source, it's what I listen to most often, line out into amp, straight into headphones, even have a balanced cable for driving HE-1000 directly, which it does well. Currently in kazillion hour LC break in, listening a bit here and there, using iPod Touch on shuffle/repeat for music during break in. (my PC set up, Regen/Geek Out Special Edition, sounds better, but is finicky, not working at present, and, most importantly, IS NOT AT MY BEDSIDE!)

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #357 of 2,966

Congrats on the newborn...I bet you have no problem placing the baby in space with great, precise imaging during nighttime crying sessions :)

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #359 of 2,966
Congrats on the newborn...I bet you have no problem placing the baby in space with great, precise imaging during nighttime crying sessions
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, VERY precise.  Her treble is a bit peaky though.  I might have to start calling her "Sennheiser" as a nickname.

I'm sat hear with my new born. Three and a half days old . Feeding and listening to big single driver headphones. Eclipse T-D speakers . Can wait for my Liquid Carbon to come.
It's 3.30 am and he's happy:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:.

Congrats!  
beerchug.gif

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #360 of 2,966
Congrats to you both...been there, done that (my youngest in 17, so it's been a while, but I remember it well). Enjoy! Good Headphones will be more crucial than ever, you never want to wake a quite, sleeping darling baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back