Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 1, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #332 of 2,966
Plus looking at the Mojo it doesn't seem compatible with external amps... double amping so you can't possibly fully distinguish the internal amps effect on the LC. 

See my PS edit above. All DACs have to have some analog out. Mojo has just integrated it into not only the line out, but the whole "amp" implementation, with no noise (yeah, drinking the Chord koolaid here, but it sounds really good)!

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #333 of 2,966
Plus looking at the Mojo it doesn't seem compatible with external amps... double amping so you can't possibly fully distinguish the internal amps effect on the LC. 

Not double amping. Looks like you missed my post on the previous page.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/787608/cavalli-audios-liquid-carbon-owners-impressions/315#post_12124470

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #334 of 2,966
Not enough? I know you feel Vibros needed lots of power, but I swear the Mojo drives them great - Respeghi Pines of Rome (Catacombs) was deafeningly wonderful!

The vibro does need power but you said he-6... If you can't throw at least 800mw into the t50 driver its bass won't gel up right. I think it should get ≤1w
There is no way you can get enough power from the LC to push that HE-6 even close to right.
1.5w into 50ohms is great for the Vibro
See my PS edit above. All DACs have to have some analog out. Mojo has just integrated it into not only the line out, but the whole "amp" implementation, with no noise (yeah, drinking the Chord koolaid here, but it sounds really good)!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/787608/cavalli-audios-liquid-carbon-owners-impressions/315#post_12124470

gotcha...tired.. overtime

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #335 of 2,966
I didn't think that I would ever convince myself to feel like I needed to own a balanced headphone to more thoroughly enjoy music with; but owning the LC has made me revisit all that. I found that sending out any of my single-ended current headphones to be converted to balanced would be at least $300.00. I figured for another $200.00 I could get another headphone all together! So I ordered a pair of Alpha Dogs (w/ the DUM cable terminated in XLR 4 pin) specifically for balanced use with the LC. I haven't heard the Alpha Dogs before but most reviews say it's a neutral closed headphone that needs sufficient power to sound their best. Has anyone heard these two together? I hope they synergize well with the LC and my HiFi M8.

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #336 of 2,966
I didn't think that I would ever convince myself to feel like I needed to own a balanced headphone to more thoroughly enjoy music with; but owning the LC has made me revisit all that. I found that sending out any of my single-ended current headphones to be converted to balanced would be at least $300.00. I figured for $200.00 I could get another headphone all together! So I ordered a pair of Alpha Dogs (w/ the DUM cable terminated in XLR 4 pin) specifically for balanced use with the LC. I haven't heard the Alpha Dogs before but most reviews say it's a neutral closed headphone that needs sufficient power to sound their best. Has anyone heard these two together? I hope they synergize well with the LC and my HiFi M8.

I have a balanced Alpha Dog waiting for my Liquid Carbon.  Other balanced headphones I have are HE-500 and HE-6.  I need to pick up a balanced cable for my HD650.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #339 of 2,966

Question on the LC's gain settings....if I use 1x gain, does that mean the amp is not amplifying the signal at all, but just acting as a vol pot and , if connected to balanced headphones, doing the conversion from SE to balanced? I realize there are other impedance changes, etc, but if you are using only with 1x gain, would that imply you don't really need an amp for your setup? Or am I missing something? Thanks!

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #341 of 2,966
Dec 2, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #342 of 2,966
Thinking of getting a DAP to use just as a music player for the LC to streamline things a little vs. using laptop. Will be using the Ifi Micro as DAC initially so not concerned about the amp or DAC capabilities of the DAP.

Would the FiiO X5 be a good choice? Any other recommendations or any reason a DAP in general as a music player would be inferior to using a laptop w/ Jriver?

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #343 of 2,966
Thinking of getting a DAP to use just as a music player for the LC to streamline things a little vs. using laptop. Will be using the Ifi Micro as DAC initially so not concerned about the amp or DAC capabilities of the DAP.

Would the FiiO X5 be a good choice? Any other recommendations or any reason a DAP in general as a music player would be inferior to using a laptop w/ Jriver?

The Fiio X3 also has coaxial out and it's cheaper.  The X5 works fine, though, I have one and used it to drive the DAC-19 and LC at RMAF.

You might also consider getting a Raspberry Pi and using something like Volumio.  That's probably your cheapest bet for a solid transport.  Just make sure the ifi drivers are supported in linux.

EDIT - Derp

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #344 of 2,966

Some might think a DAP would be better, there are USB issues (the REgen is supposed to work for this, I use it, other similar gear is out there as well), also "dirty" computer power, noise. And the dac in the computer is likely not the best, unless you use an external dac. And, now, you're slipping down that slippery audiophile slope...

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #345 of 2,966
Thanks, will be using IFi Micro as DAC so not worried about the computer's DAC (which isn't good).

As far as 'dirty noise,' is something that's always obvious or can it be subtle. Haven't noticed any issues using laptop->IFi Micro-> BH Crack, but haven't compared it to anything except iPhone using Tidal.

Some might think a DAP would be better, there are USB issues (the REgen is supposed to work for this, I use it, other similar gear is out there as well), also "dirty" computer power, noise. And the dac in the computer is likely not the best, unless you use an external dac. And, now, you're slipping down that slippery audiophile slope...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back