Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Mar 1, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #1,591 of 2,966

Yeah, the problem is I'd need to upgrade the USB chip to the XMOS board which adds another ~$200 or so (the current chip requires a driver on OS X which I just won't install). At that price I'd probably go for a refurb Oppo HA-1 which has that cool looking display.

The HA-1 is a DAC/Amp combo so you're payng $1200 for a DAC plus an amp you won't use and a flashy display that doesn't contribute much if you're not using the full combo.  If you wanted a similar DAC to the one in the HA-1, the Audio-GD NFB-1DAC is significantly cheaper and should sound about the same.  It's not an American company but it's got an XMOS interface, balanced, yadda yadda.  

Just throwing it out there.  I'm a value-oriented kind of guy and it's like fingernails on a chalkboard to pay $1200 for a DAC (plus stuff I won't use) vs $650 for the same DAC chip in a standalone unit.  And FWIW, I find that Audio-GD has one of the better Sabre DAC implementations I've heard.  So in my humble opinion, it's also a better dac for half the price.  

I realize though that we all have our own value preferences so good luck with whatever you choose! 

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #1,592 of 2,966

The HA-1 is a DAC/Amp combo so you're payng $1200 for a DAC plus an amp you won't use and a flashy display that doesn't contribute much if you're not using the full combo.  If you wanted a similar DAC to the one in the HA-1, the Audio-GD NFB-1DAC is significantly cheaper and should sound about the same.  It's not an American company but it's got an XMOS interface, balanced, yadda yadda.  

Just throwing it out there.  I'm a value-oriented kind of guy and it's like fingernails on a chalkboard to pay $1200 for a DAC (plus stuff I won't use) vs $650 for the same DAC chip in a standalone unit.  And FWIW, I find that Audio-GD has one of the better Sabre DAC implementations I've heard.  So in my humble opinion, it's also a better dac for half the price.  

I realize though that we all have our own value preferences so good luck with whatever you choose! 

Thanks for the suggestions, the HA-1 is actually $950 as a refurb, and probably < $850 used. But yeah still quite a bit.

I've had an Audio-GD in the past, other than the awful volume changing buttons, no complaints. But I've heard some recent troubling talk about their QA + lack of usable warranty support and they've been kind of out of my list of candidates. I'd consider buying a NFB28 (since that one seems to have the same DAC + volume control + a and isn't much more) used from someone in the US, but just not risking getting a dud and having to deal with that.

The Gustard X12 via Massdrop is something I could see myself trying as well, seems at least spec wise to be a better value than the NFB-1DAC.

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #1,593 of 2,966

Yeah, the problem is I'd need to upgrade the USB chip to the XMOS board which adds another ~$200 or so (the current chip requires a driver on OS X which I just won't install). At that price I'd probably go for a refurb Oppo HA-1 which has that cool looking display.

Do you have a Mac?  If you do optical might be an option depending on which Mac...

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #1,594 of 2,966

Thanks for the suggestions, the HA-1 is actually $950 as a refurb, and probably < $850 used. But yeah still quite a bit.

I've had an Audio-GD in the past, other than the awful volume changing buttons, no complaints. But I've heard some recent troubling talk about their QA + lack of usable warranty support and they've been kind of out of my list of candidates. I'd consider buying a NFB28 (since that one seems to have the same DAC + volume control + a and isn't much more) used from someone in the US, but just not risking getting a dud and having to deal with that.

The Gustard X12 via Massdrop is something I could see myself trying as well, seems at least spec wise to be a better value than the NFB-1DAC.

The HA-1 is one of the brightest DAC's ive heard. To a point where I couldn't listen to the HE-560 with them and had to sell it. Got the DAC-19 and it is SO much better. I'd really suggest you reconsider the HA-1 for the DAC. Gustard X12 has great reviews indeed.

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #1,595 of 2,966
The HA-1 is one of the brightest DAC's ive heard. To a point where I couldn't listen to the HE-560 with them and had to sell it. Got the DAC-19 and it is SO much better. I'd really suggest you reconsider the HA-1 for the DAC. Gustard X12 has great reviews indeed.

I can agree with this 100%.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #1,596 of 2,966

Do you have a Mac?  If you do optical might be an option depending on which Mac...

I do and it is, just feels silly to spend that kind of $ and getting a "useless" port (though I've certainly done sillier things).

Thanks for the warning, will cross it off the list. The DAC-19 is interesting, have been curious to find out what R2R is all about.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #1,597 of 2,966
  The old DAC thread got discontinued and I was wondering if there were some new options out there that I have missed.

Here's what I want.

Requirements:

1. Balanced (I know its not supposed to matter much but the heart wants what the heart wants)
  2. Physically close in size to the LC (Not the Gungnir)
  3. Modern USB input, at least async 24/192, preferably something like an XMOS
  4. Sold by a company with a US presence
  5. Doesn't try to sell $500+ USB cables

Nice to have:
  1. Digital volume control
  2. Not ridiculously expensive
  3. No headphone amp component 

So far the only ones I've found that are pretty close are:
  1. Violectric V800 with XMOS board
  2. Emotive Stealth DC-1
  3. Oppo HA-1
  4. Teac UD-50x
  5. DacMagic Plus

Other than the price, the Violectric is probably the closest, but man that price hurts. Am I missing any?

I'm also considering a standalone DAC and have similar requirements.  Currently using the iFI Micro as DAC.  I have no complaints with it, just never tried a better DAC.  Seems like the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 is quite popular with the LC.  It's a good bit larger than the LC, though perhaps not a deal breaker for me.  Would the DC-1 be a significant upgrade from the Micro?

Also considering an alternative to my Toshiba laptop as a music player.  May just go with a better laptop, but any suggestions on a more compact music player?  Budget would be $1k-$1500 depending on whether the music player has it's own DAC that's at least equal to the Micro.  Do not need streaming capability or CD from a music player, would prefer ability to connect to external hard drive, large internal storage would be an option. 

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #1,598 of 2,966

I can agree with this 100%.

I owned the HA-1 and Bifrost Uber at the same time. They were virtually indistinguishable when played through the same amp. Compared to my current audio-gd Dac-19, the HA-1 is significantly brighter to my ears. Fwiw...

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #1,601 of 2,966

Would the DC-1 be a significant upgrade from the Micro?

I've not heard the Micro, but the DC-1 is smooth sounding, almost to a fault. While it gets most things right, you won't quite get the sense of performers in an acoustic space with the Emotiva.

One interesting option is the Pono Player. You could run it in balanced mode to the Carbon and Surf Cables sells a pair of 3.5 mm to XLR that would do the trick. Ayre Acoustics of Boulder, CO did most of the circuit design.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #1,602 of 2,966
I use the Pono lawyer (single ended) with the LC ask the time, makes a great source imo. Well get balanced cable to use for line out one of these days, but sounds great as is (using the LC less, though, since I got balanced cables for the acs Encore ciem, more than enough power. Still a good amp for the HEK). Pono can be had for $250-$300

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #1,604 of 2,966
What about the Balanced TEACs, anyone try one with the LC?

I'm leaning towards the V800, I know its super expensive but light their philosophy and seems to have reasonable set of features I'd want.

I will throw this out just as a suggestion, even though it doesn't meet all your requirements. When I was waiting for my LC, I was looking for a similarly priced dac with balanced outputs, and hopefully R2R. When the Chord mojo was announced, I stumbled on that thread and finally took a chance. It is pretty amazing and worth at least an audition, I think. Balanced does not matter (so much, at all?) with the LC, it has digital volume control, and they do have a dealer presence in the US. As a benefit, you get a great portable dac/amp also.

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #1,605 of 2,966
I will throw this out just as a suggestion, even though it doesn't meet all your requirements. When I was waiting for my LC, I was looking for a similarly priced dac with balanced outputs, and hopefully R2R. When the Chord mojo was announced, I stumbled on that thread and finally took a chance. It is pretty amazing and worth at least an audition, I think. Balanced does not matter (so much, at all?) with the LC, it has digital volume control, and they do have a dealer presence in the US. As a benefit, you get a great portable dac/amp also.

I can highly recommend that Mojo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back