Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Mar 4, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #1,621 of 2,966

I can't compare to the Micro, but I'd be willing to bet somebody has in the Mojo thread. FWIW, I enjoy it far more than the similarly-priced Bifrost Multibit. I've used the Mojo extensively with the Carbon, Crimson and Gold, and it is just fantastic with all three of them. 

I just came to that same conclusion...

Right?? Bimby seems a little flat and boring, in comparison. I find it tough to go back. I planned on having one for work and one for home, but I've just been carting the Mojo back and forth!

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #1,622 of 2,966
I can't compare to the Micro, but I'd be willing to bet somebody has in the Mojo thread. FWIW, I enjoy it far more than the similarly-priced Bifrost Multibit. I've used the Mojo extensively with the Carbon, Crimson and Gold, and it is just fantastic with all three of them. 

Well I just cancelled my Bifrost Multibit order and am now going to do a little more research on the Chord Mojo to pair with my LC. I just now realized that I would probably like the fact that I can have a top tier dac that I can travel with and also use as a Liquid Spark source too!

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #1,623 of 2,966

Well I just cancelled my Bifrost Multibit order and am now going to do a little more research on the Chord Mojo to pair with my LC. I just now realized that I would probably like the fact that I can have a top tier dac that I can travel with and also use as a Liquid Spark source too!

Yeah, the portability is really the icing on the cake. FWIW, I found @Currawong's video review to be pretty helpful when I was researching the purchase. He answered pretty much everything I wanted to know about the product and his observations proved to be pretty much spot on across the board. Can't wait to pair it up with the Spark. A fully portable, reference quality system? Yes, please!

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #1,624 of 2,966

I haven't heard either, but I've read plenty about both.  If I was considering buying one of the two, I'd get the Mojo easily.  If I already had the ifi, I don't know that the improvement would be worth the money/effort.  I'd take Dave's advice and check the Mojo thread for more info.

Unrelated:  I just moved to a new city and I've been without any of my desktop gear for a week now.  Really wishing I had something like the Mojo right now.  The Crimson sitting in a box over there is just taunting me!!!  I should probably get off Head-fi and unpack some more...

Thanks, definitely people in the Mojo thread favoring it over the Micro.  Some people in the Micro thread naturally favoring it over the Mojo.  Seems like the Mojo is more popular, but doesn't seem like enough reason to switch. I might switch to try a standalone DAC as while I love the idea of tranportability, I hardly ever use the Micro that way.  Maybe when it gets a little warmer I'll take it out to the deck.

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #1,625 of 2,966

Thanks, definitely people in the Mojo thread favoring it over the Micro.  Some people in the Micro thread naturally favoring it over the Mojo.  Seems like the Mojo is more popular, but doesn't seem like enough reason to switch. I might switch to try a standalone DAC as while I love the idea of tranportability, I hardly ever use the Micro that way.  Maybe when it gets a little warmer I'll take it out to the deck.

Mojo works outstanding both mobile and desktop…takes 1 minute to switch either way...

MBP → SDragon → Mojo → AQ Sky → LC

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #1,626 of 2,966
So I moved to a new city last weekend and most of my stuff is still in boxes.  That includes most of my audio gear and the tables where I plan to put it.  As good as my portable rig is (AK100ii or QP1R and Noble4C or Westone ES60 currently), I miss my desktop rig.  Tonight I decided to dig out my LC at least and run it right from the line out on a DAP into my HD800.  It's no DAC-19 + Liquid Crimson, but it should scratch the itch.

Well damn, I forget sometimes how GOOD the LC sounds.  I settled on the AK100ii for the DAC (the QP1R is more resolving but it's brighter and the HD800 doesn't like it as much) and this is just a really really good combo.  For most sane people (i.e. people not willing to spend three grand or more on a big brother Cavalli), the Liquid Carbon could easily be endgame.  I know as soon as I plug my Crimson back in I'll remember why I bought it, but for now I know that if a cash crunch should hit, I could sell the Crimson and be perfectly happy with the LC alone.

Fun fact:  I listened to the "Akira" symphonic suite (OST) two+ times through and now I'm jamming to some Bonobo.  Having a wonderful evening of listening thanks to the LC.

jecklinsmile.gif

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #1,627 of 2,966
My carbon is in its box right now for space reasons.  When I was switching back and forth from Crimson to Carbon, the Crimson was (almost barely) noticeably "better."  Enough so that I am glad I bought it, and especially glad I got lucky and found a rare used one in absolutely mint condition.  Still, the Carbon has this thing going on that I can't really describe, that can make it almost more enjoyable to listen to.  I will say that in my opinion, the Carbon should be used balanced.  If you are going to use the Carbon, get your headphones terminated balanced.  The Carbon is a heck of an amp for sure.

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #1,628 of 2,966
My carbon is in its box right now for space reasons.  When I was switching back and forth from Crimson to Carbon, the Crimson was (almost barely) noticeably "better."  Enough so that I am glad I bought it, and especially glad I got lucky and found a rare used one in absolutely mint condition.  Still, the Carbon has this thing going on that I can't really describe, that can make it almost more enjoyable to listen to.  I will say that in my opinion, the Carbon should be used balanced.  If you are going to use the Carbon, get your headphones terminated balanced.  The Carbon is a heck of an amp for sure.

Yes I agree with your impressions, the Crimson beats the Carbon, by a hair or two. I mostly use my Crimson to watch TV and to Game. However I do switch to the Carbon, now and then, because its a lot of fun to listen too. I am glad you were able to find a used Crimson, it is a great amp.

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #1,630 of 2,966
Yes I agree with your impressions, the Crimson beats the Carbon, by a hair or two. I mostly use my Crimson to watch TV and to Game. However I do switch to the Carbon, now and then, because its a lot of fun to listen too. I am glad you were able to find a used Crimson, it is a great amp.

You got a chuckle out of me. You have the Glass, so the Crimson is relegated to TV and gaming.  Kind of like using the F-40 to go get the mail because you have a McLaren for "real" driving, lol.  I understand.  I find I like what tubes add to the sound, but I find tubes fiddly.  The Crimson is a nice compromise (one tube, designed to be left alone), and of course the Carbon dispenses with tubes completely.....  Still, the glass does sound wonderful.

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #1,631 of 2,966

You got a chuckle out of me. You have the Glass, so the Crimson is relegated to TV and gaming.  Kind of like using the F-40 to go get the mail because you have a McLaren for "real" driving, lol.  I understand.  I find I like what tubes add to the sound, but I find tubes fiddly.  The Crimson is a nice compromise (one tube, designed to be left alone), and of course the Carbon dispenses with tubes completely.....  Still, the glass does sound wonderful.
All of you are making me chuckle.

Oh, and lately, TV soundtracks meet or exceed the quality from a lot of audiophile recordings. It feels weird to write that, but TV audio has gone up a few notches over the past decade. The Crimson probably isn't wasted at all!

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #1,632 of 2,966

Oh, and lately, TV soundtracks meet or exceed the quality from a lot of audiophile recordings. It feels weird to write that, but TV audio has gone up a few notches over the past decade. The Crimson probably isn't wasted at all!

If @reddog was listening to the last GOP debate through Crimson, it probably got really dirty and is in need of liberal cleaning.

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #1,633 of 2,966

If @reddog
 was listening to the last GOP debate through Crimson, it probably got really dirty and is in need of liberal cleaning.
I cannot Trump that joke...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back