Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon 2.0 - Owners Impressions
Sep 15, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #182 of 233
So I see Massdrop have the Massdrop X Alex Cavalli Liquid Carbon with the following specs:

• Massdrop x Alex Cavalli
  • Chassis: High-grade CNC-milled aluminum with bead-blasted finish
  • Gain: 1x (0 dB) and 3x (10 dB), hot switchable from front panel
  • Maximum power: Balanced 2.8W RMS into 50 ohms, single-ended 0.7W RMS into 50 ohms
  • Inputs: 1 x XLR (balanced), 1 x RCA
  • Outputs: 1 x 4-pin XLR, 1 x TRS
  • THD: 0.004% at 1 kHz/500 mW (4 VRMS) into 32 ohms (resistive)
  • Input impedance: ~10 kohms
  • Output impedance: ~0.12 ohm balanced, ~0.08 ohm single-ended
  • Dimensions: 8.3 x 9.1 x 2.2 in (210 x 230 x 57 mm)
  • Weight: 3.6 lbs (1,625 g)
  • Individually serialized
How close is this to the one sold on the Cavalli Audio Website for $799? I have Beyer T1's (1st gen) and HD800S, and I am trying to determine if these are pretty much just as good with these two headphones, or I should skip it and save for the originals?

Sep 16, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #183 of 233
Anyone have listened to LC with Sennheiser HD800S? Good pairing? Any impression would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #184 of 233
Anyone have listened to LC with Sennheiser HD800S? Good pairing? Any impression would be appreciated. Thanks!

I had LC for almost a year and HD800 SDR mod for more than 2 months now. Personally, I like the combo. Tighter bass, a tad larger soundstage, great mids and treble response. I thought it was great combo and I can never imagine it could get any better. Although, I favor my modded HD6XX more than the LC+HD800SDR mod combo because of the laid back signature. At first, I thought, maybe I am not a fan of HD800 by looking at how much I favor the modded HD6XX combo with LC. But, as I upgrade my amp, things changed drastically. The HD800 is wayyy better than how it was now and I can easily pick the HD800 over HD6XX anytime.

LC is a great combo with HD800s especially for under $1000 but there's always something better out there if you go pass $1000.

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #185 of 233
Well, it appears as though my LC 2.0 is going to need to visit the repair shop for the second time. Thankfully, I'm still within the warranty period.

Recently, powering on the amp in high gain has caused a relatively noisy "pop" in the headphones. Additionally, adjusting the pot now produces static/noise in the left channel. I assume the pot has gone bad, but I'm not sure about the popping noise. Also, the sound is weak and there is a channel imbalance (this is basically what happened to the amp back in March/April at around 3 weeks of ownership).

Second time in the shop during the warranty. Hope these massdrop units have a better build quality. "High end" gear should not fail twice in a year. Terribly disappointed.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #186 of 233
I had my LC 2.0 repaired twice within a month or so of the original delivery for reasons similar to yours. It's been great ever since, and I use it daily. I agree with you about upper end gear shouldn't fail twice. Cavalli is not the only one. Last year a friend of my end bought a high end Integra AV Receiver with high expectations of musical and video bliss. Unfortunately, it was replaced twice before he found it. I wish you luck on you 2.0. I know you're going to miss it while it's off to the shop.

Sep 23, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #187 of 233
Hi,
I have LC v2 & HD800S or HD6xx but didn't use so much so beside "burning in" maybe I used several hours in total mostly to check one track when it was sounding weird on speakers (Being extremely busy I mainly listen some hours in weekend and almost only on speakers).
Recently I realized that to have proper listening levels the volume must be almost at max (3-4 o'clock) and I do not listen music at extremely high volume usualy. All at high gain setting because at low gain setting is not listenable at all. The LC signal is from Holo spring DAC balanced connection.
Is this normal for LC2?
It will be appreciated if some of people with similar setup could share their experience regarding the volume setting for LC2 with HD800S.

Sep 23, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #188 of 233
Hi,
I have LC v2 & HD800S or HD6xx but didn't use so much so beside "burning in" maybe I used several hours in total mostly to check one track when it was sounding weird on speakers (Being extremely busy I mainly listen some hours in weekend and almost only on speakers).
Recently I realized that to have proper listening levels the volume must be almost at max (3-4 o'clock) and I do not listen music at extremely high volume usualy. All at high gain setting because at low gain setting is not listenable at all. The LC signal is from Holo spring DAC balanced connection.
Is this normal for LC2?
It will be appreciated if some of people with similar setup could share their experience regarding the volume setting for LC2 with HD800S.
with my Hugo DAC at 3V output (single ended) the gain set to low and volume at 40% my Ether C Flow deliver volume almost too high to sustain for long listening.
The Spring in balanced outputs 5V so no, I don't think it's normal.
Not sure about the sensitivity of the HD800 but seems not normal to me

Sep 23, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #189 of 233
Forgot to mention about Massdrop LCX. Really disapointed. Not about Massdrop but about Cavalli. I understand high discount of a product that was available through the normal distribution channels but LC was available only based on preorder, payed in advance with a big waiting time so basically same as Massdrop and most important advertised as being the lowest possible price, mostly done as a sign of recognition for the comunity role in Cavalli brand success. Then in ~ 1 year you find out that is available at less than half of the price, in same conditions and volumes. Thinking that in this price, beside the Massdrop profit, is also a Cavalli royalty payment included I must say that the feeling is not good at all.
For me this is extreamly disapointing in regards with Cavalli's attitude as a brand towards his "esteemed" customers. It is not about the fact that the amp is good or not, it is not the fact that the price is low or high, it is about the credibility and trust. For me the credibility and trust in Cavalli brand is at the lowest possible levels and these are two things that I value the most!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #190 of 233
Forgot to mention about Massdrop LCX. Really disapointed. Not about Massdrop but about Cavalli. I understand high discount of a product that was available through the normal distribution channels but LC was available only based on preorder, payed in advance with a big waiting time so basically same as Massdrop and most important advertised as being the lowest possible price, mostly done as a sign of recognition for the comunity role in Cavalli brand success. Then in ~ 1 year you find out that is available at less than half of the price, in same conditions and volumes. Thinking that in this price, beside the Massdrop profit, is also a Cavalli royalty payment included I must say that the feeling is not good at all.
For me this is extreamly disapointing in regards with Cavalli's attitude as a brand towards his "esteemed" customers. It is not about the fact that the amp is good or not, it is not the fact that the price is low or high, it is about the credibility and trust. For me the credibility and trust in Cavalli brand is at the lowest possible levels and these are two things that I value the most!

What was the RRP and what was the MassDrop price? I would apreciate if you could let me know.

Did anybody tried LC2 with Denons D7200?

I was considering LC2 but I got a bit scared of with all the faults that unit can develop?

Would any of owners had a chance to compare LC2 to Gustard H10? I would appreciate any impressions.

With many thanks,
seb

Dec 5, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #191 of 233
Cavelli designated Avenson Audio as his repair shop. I would be willing to bet that they also assembled the Cavalli amps too.If mine has issues, that's where its gonna go.
I bought my LC 2.0 used a couple of months ago. Its my computer HiRez music amp, using a Cord 2Qute as a DAC. Super nice combo with Senn HD 800S or Ether C headphones.

Feb 7, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #193 of 233
Well my second liquid carbon has failed. Very disappointed. Neithr one lasted more than 100 hours.

Musicguy

Why disappointed? They will fix it or give you a new one!

"Effective immediately, all original Liquid Carbon owners now enjoy a lifetime warranty for their Liquid Carbons!"

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/☯️-cavalli-audio-➜-liquid-carbon-lifetime-warranty.796889/

It looks a bit cheap and cheerful to me. I wonder how they could provide a lifetime warrantee on something like that:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back