Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon 2.0 - Owners Impressions
Feb 9, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #211 of 233
My LC is a gen 2.0 that I bought used. Best $550 I have spent. Mated it to a Cord 2Qute DAC for my computer hi Rez headphone system. No problems (knock on wood}. It really sounds great with my Senn HD 800S and Mr Speakers Ethers/Flow. I no longer have the urge to swap out with my Schiit stack.
I wonder why one of you posters with a dead LC has not sent it in for repairs yet. That would be better information other than its just broke. I bet when the Massdrop folks finally ship their LC clone, it will not sound as good as a real LC.

I’m
Not here to jinx you, but get ready....

Feb 10, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #212 of 233
@koeneo i see your in england. Did this repair cost included shipping or just the repair cost of the amp?

musicguy

I still need to submit mine for repair. If it cost $210. I might have a new 600 dollar paper weight!!

Just the repair excluding shipping costs (twice) which is really expensive from the UK. That’s why I haven’t sent it back for repair @claud W

Or would you spend $500 in total on a repair?

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #213 of 233
My LC is a gen 2.0 that I bought used. Best $550 I have spent. Mated it to a Cord 2Qute DAC for my computer hi Rez headphone system. No problems (knock on wood}. It really sounds great with my Senn HD 800S and Mr Speakers Ethers/Flow. I no longer have the urge to swap out with my Schiit stack.
I wonder why one of you posters with a dead LC has not sent it in for repairs yet. That would be better information other than its just broke. I bet when the Massdrop folks finally ship their LC clone, it will not sound as good as a real LC.

I have not sent mine in for repairs. I bought mine used for $670. Few days later Cavalli goes under. Shortly after that I sell it for $550. I loose $ on the transaction plus PayPal and shipping. The buyer receives it and says left channel is dead. It worked fine for me using balanced in/out. I did not test single in/out. I refund money and buyer ships it back. Sure enough single ended is foobar. I keep using it balanced then the volume pot fails completely. Will cost me over $150 to get it repaired.

I'm going to take a look at the board to see if I can repair myself. If not I will ship it for repairs and list it for sale for $800 until it sells.

Feb 10, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #214 of 233
I have not sent mine in for repairs. I bought mine used for $670. Few days later Cavalli goes under. Shortly after that I sell it for $550. I loose $ on the transaction plus PayPal and shipping. The buyer receives it and says left channel is dead. It worked fine for me using balanced in/out. I did not test single in/out. I refund money and buyer ships it back. Sure enough single ended is foobar. I keep using it balanced then the volume pot fails completely. Will cost me over $150 to get it repaired.

I'm going to take a look at the board to see if I can repair myself. If not I will ship it for repairs and list it for sale for $800 until it sells.

So, what can we learn from all this? Is it really worth repairing? Will someone pay $800 for it? If you do spend over $150 to get it repaired, how long till it breaks again?

If I were you I would try to repair it myself. If I could not repair it, then I would just get rid of it. I would not keep throwing money at it.

Feb 10, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #215 of 233
I guess its more fun belly aching on HeadFi than listening to music. You guys must have several better amps than the LC or you would not be talking about tossing it rather than repair. If its your only amp, buy a Schiit Magni 3 to use while its being fixed.

Feb 10, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #216 of 233
The left channel on my SE is dead as well. And on balanced, the left channel is not as loud as the right (at least, it’s very noticeably softer when I first turn it on). I doubt this is worth fixing especially since Massdrop is selling LCXs which will presumably sound the same.

Feb 11, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #217 of 233
I guess its more fun belly aching on HeadFi than listening to music. You guys must have several better amps than the LC or you would not be talking about tossing it rather than repair. If its your only amp, buy a Schiit Magni 3 to use while its being fixed.
Because, in many cases, the amps break shortly after being repaired. My input board fried 3 times in a period of 6 weeks, and after the last go-round, I asked for and was granted a full refund. This was days before Cavalli closed. I can see why Some would say trash the amp rather than repair. Good money after bad and all...

Feb 11, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #218 of 233
What is ashame is, I get cavalli is closed. But to not honor your product warranty to a point. Especially considering you coming out with 2 new amps with massdrop. Not even a offer to exchange the old liquid carbon for a new one. Even if it isn't the same quality at least i would have something that works. It also obvious the repair amps are still failing. Minium repair cost is about is about dollars? Thats crazy. I spent 600 dollars on a amp that lasted less than 100 hours. I think everyone here can see why many of us are so bitter.

musicguy

Mar 8, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #221 of 233
Just got back my Liquid Carbon from the repair center. Avenson Audio . I emailed them and they told me the rates and where to ship and details they like. It was easy to send it off. And it was shipped back. Today is the first time firing it back up. Sounds good. So? I very happy with the repair. So hour 1 begins.

Musicguy

Mar 18, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #222 of 233
Does anyone else's amp have a ground wire connected to the power jack? I bought a liquid carbon used for parts, because one channel was dead, but when I got it, everything seemed to work fine. The previous owner said that they got it at CanJam 2015. I guess they were sold a demo unit since the amp has no screws and the amps serial number is 00801. Does anyone know where to secure the ground wire to the enclosure? Thanks!

Mar 18, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #223 of 233
Man I've spend like $180 on repairs from Avenson Audio the first time around repairing a channel imbalance issue where the line balance oamps died so they had to replace it. It died again just now with the 4pin XLR. 1/4 jack seems to work fine for now.

Think I'm just going give up and buy another amp :\

Mar 20, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #224 of 233
Man I've spend like $180 on repairs from Avenson Audio the first time around repairing a channel imbalance issue where the line balance oamps died so they had to replace it. It died again just now with the 4pin XLR. 1/4 jack seems to work fine for now.

Think I'm just going give up and buy another amp :\

I’m sorry to hear that, but as you seem to suggest, it’s probably best to move one. This thing is a timebomb.

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #225 of 233
Cut your losses and don't look back ... I currently replaced my LC with a Vioelectric model ... I like having both a tube and an electronic headphone amp in my setup ... Using a set of y cables

LC is on a shelve as a back up for now ... Resale value does not intice me to sell it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back