Cavalli Audio - Liquid Lightning
Oct 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #183 of 209
The Ayon beat it. In my system anyway. Al thinks it's too smoothed over with his HE60. The Cambridge would probably beat it in an 007 system.

I'm looking at a few models 'above' his though. His CD-1 is quite old.

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #186 of 209
Just got my LL and I'm really enjoying it so far with my 009s.  I haven't heard the 009s with any other amps, but this setup is revealing across the board--though subtle--improvements over my LCD-3/LF combo.  The most noticeable improvements are an increase in clarity, a more expansive and 3-D soundstage, and a seemingly much wider dynamic range (i.e., the contrast between softer and louder passages in music).  Whereas the LCD-3's tonal balance may have been tilted to the darker side of neutral, the 009's tonal balance seems to slant towards the brighter side of neutral, to the point where I'm experiencing a vague sense of fatigue during long listening sessions (and I don't consider myself to have treble-sensitive hearing at all).

With the 009s, I feel the power of crescendos more viscerally than I ever did with the LCD-3s, to the point where I often find myself fumbling for the remote to my PWD so I can tone the volume down.  This increase in perceived dynamics may be due, in part, to the 009's slightly bright nature, which might be making the higher frequencies pop out a bit more at louder recorded volumes.

As was the case with the LF, I'm not able to turn the volume dial on my LL very much before it gets too loud.  I'm using the balanced output of my PWD, which, granted, seems to have a high output level.  However, if I set the PWD to 60 volume (which is PS Audio's minimum-recommended level to avoid loss of resolution), I can only set the LL at a few very slight turns above 0 for most of my computer audio collection.  

Is this extremely low volume level limiting the extent to which the LL can produce dynamics or resolution, or am I just being paranoid?  Am I better off using the LL's single-ended inputs to lower the gain and get a wider volume range?

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #187 of 209
I didn't experience that at all, including with balanced connection at 4.6Vrms.  This says a lot about the way your music has been mastered - it's most likely very compressed.  If you're worried about being able to get those dynamics, I'd look around for better releases (if they exist.)  The other option would be to see if Alex can adjust the gain, but it's really not worth it.

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #188 of 209
dj, I can't speak to your exact situation, but I have PW DAC2 and Transport. With my LLs and 009s and off the shelf CDs, I have lots of rotation on the vol pot even if I put the DAC higher than recommended.

Using the SE inputs will reduce the LL's gain, but I prefer the balanced inputs for almost all situations.

Radiohead's thoughts are probably more relevant than mine though. :)

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #189 of 209
Well, my source is computer audio from USB, mostly ripped from CDs (I don't have a high-quality CD player).  And while I do get more volume range with recordings that are well-produced*, even on the stuff with the most dynamic range I'm still not able to go very far up on either the PWD or the LL.

I guess it's a combination of the baseline recorded volume level of my audio files, the high output of the PWD and the LL, and the relatively sensitive 009.  It's not a big deal, since the end result still sounds great, but I was just wondering if there are any potential drawbacks to having to set the LL on such a low volume?

*I'm referring to stuff by the usual suspects:  MA Recordings, Stockfisch, Living Stereo, Analogue Productions, Chesky, etc.

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #191 of 209
Greetings All,

I've been fascinated reading these threads . . . so many mysteries (why is [size=11.0pt]sridhar3[/size] & others get banned? . . . why did Mwilson sell his SR009/LL? . . . how can Erico possibly afford all those stats? . . . LOL . . .) . . . .  so much anticipation . . . will I fall in love with the LL / 009 if and when I get one? . . . 

Anyway, I think I'm subscribed for the April LL release . . . I wonder how classical music will sound on this? 

Rich

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #192 of 209
Ha. Lots of good questions. I didn't know that sridhar3 was banned. When did that happen? Who else is banned? Mwilson has explained why he sold his stat rig though and Erico, well I don't know...

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #193 of 209
Quote:
Ha. Lots of good questions. I didn't know that sridhar3 was banned. When did that happen? Who else is banned? Mwilson has explained why he sold his stat rig though and Erico, well I don't know...

Well, maybe I'm wrong about sridhar3 since it says he was online a minute ago, but it says 'banned' where others have 'industry Insider', or 'head fI'er'.  Hopefully not true !!  But you do see the intrigue here?

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back