Cavalli Audio - Liquid Lightning
Jun 15, 2012 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 209

runeight

Member of the Trade: Cavalli Audio
Gents, I'm starting this thread to have a fresh start with Liquid Lightning comments, quick reviews and impressions from owners, and feedback.

Also, feel free to ask questions about the LL and I'll answer if I can.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 209
The LL hits the all the right notes in terms of dynamics, extension, soundstage and separation... so long as it has 130+ hours on it. Mine came with 100, and, while it sounded good out of the box, it lacked some of the characteristics that made the LF my favorite dynamic amplifier. I left it to burn in some more, without listening in the meantime, and tonight I was in for a very lovely surprise - the Cavalli substance started to manifest itself once again. I've posted some impressions on the other LL thread, and will post back after some more hours.

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 209
Quote:
I've posted some impressions on the other LL thread, and will post back after some more hours.

popcorn.gif

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 209
SUSCRIBED!!

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 209
Some specific details would be appreciated.

Quote:
Hi, friends.
Currently owning the WES, BHSE and LL, have to say the LL is the one I find best for the 009.
Truly recommended.
Regards,
Erico

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 209
Quote:
Hi, friends.
Currently owning the WES, BHSE and LL, have to say the LL is the one I find best for the 009.
Truly recommended.
Regards,
Erico

Yep.. you have my attention... your thoughts on why the LL & 009 would be good

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #9 of 209
Quote:

Yep.. you have my attention... your thoughts on why the LL & 009 would be good

[size=medium]About the 009 and LL, that's my conclusion for now...[/size]
[size=medium]Please notice that my sonic preferences may be different from yours.[/size]
[size=medium]Well, to begin with, the LL outputs more power at low volumes. [/size][size=medium]The mids and trebles are very clean, even cleaner and brighter than the BHSE, but not as harsh as presented in STAX’s 727A (which I do also own and can't listen for more than half an hour straight). [/size]
[size=medium]The bass simply shines. The[size=small] bass extension (which is, for me, the biggest downside of the WES) is very deep[/size]. Some people may find that, as a solid state amp, it has to necessarily sound bright. I don’t think it’s that bright. It just comes more alive in comparison to the other two amps. If I had to choose just one amp for the 009 of the three, I’d pick the LL without regret. [/size]
[size=medium]For the Omega 2, the LL is also able to drive it without effort.[/size]
[size=11pt]I’m enjoying the LL very much. Couldn’t expect different after owning the Liquid Fire.[/size]

[size=11pt]Best regards,[/size]
[size=11pt]Erico[/size]

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #10 of 209
Quote:

[size=medium]About the 009 and LL, that's my conclusion for now...[/size]
[size=medium]Please notice that my sonic preferences may be different from yours.[/size]
[size=medium]Well, to begin with, the LL outputs more power at low volumes. [/size][size=medium]The mids and treble sare very clean, cleaner and brighter than the BHSE, but not as harsh as presented in STAX’s 727A (which I do also own and can't listen for more than half an hour). The bass simply shines. [/size][size=medium]The[size=small] bass extension (which is, for me, the biggest downside of the WES) is very deep[/size].[/size][size=medium] Some people may find that, as a solid state amp, it has to necessarily sound bright. I don’t think it’s that bright. It just comes more alive in comparison to the other amp. If I had to choose just one amp for the 009 of the three, I’d pick the LL without regret. [/size]
[size=medium]For the Omega 2, I still would pick the BHSE.[/size]
[size=11pt]I’m enjoying the LL it very much. Couldn’t expect different after owning the Liquid Fire.[/size]
[size=11pt]Best regards,[/size]
[size=11pt]Erico[/size]

Couldn't agree with you more.
The bass on the SR009 with the WES just didn't seem right.
Thanks. 

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #13 of 209
Let me second what Erico do Brasil had said; the LL has very tactile and deep bass. Very much akin to the LF (once the JJ drek comes out and is replaced with Siemens), there's a clarity to the presentation that has to be heard. Mind you, all of it wasn't there at 100 hours as shipped, but once at 130 hours or so the improvements start lining up at the door. Mids are creamy (hello googleli) yet detailed, not harsh in any way. High mids and highs are natural, not one bit overdone nor receeded. 

All and all, this amp is growing on me. Great job Cavalli Audio. I'll report back once at the 200 hour mark (EDIT: with specific song listening notes)

Jun 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #14 of 209
Erico,

I believe the BHSE is also a recent addition and you're probably still evaluating but any more detailed comments on how it presents music differently from LL while driving the 009 (and 007 if you get a chance)?

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #15 of 209
Quote:
Erico,
I believe the BHSE is also a recent addition and you're probably still evaluating but any more detailed comments on how it presents music differently from LL while driving the 009 (and 007 if you get a chance)?

Hi, Arnaud.

Indeed, owning both for not even 2 weeks and being able to listen to them only during weekends I think it's still early to post final impressions.

Regarding the BHSE, I still have a bunch of different tubes to try (Mullard XF2, SED, GE Fat Boys etc), but I'm currently using the new production stock Mullards.

I'm able to switch to any amp thorugh passive switches or even the BHSE loop, so what I'm saying is that I'm using the same sources, DAC, cables etc to judge them.

While driving the 009, the first thing I can easily notice it's that the LL can output more details in lower volume levels.

The second one is that the music is brought more alive, what I mean, but maybe cannot express, is that the presentation is cleaner, without being harsh.

The BHSE seems more balanced regarding how it amplifies the music, everything is there (bass, mids and trebles). The LL seems to present deeper bass, softer mids and cleaner highs, yet not harsh in any way imho, but I'm still evaluating this.

They're both excellent for the 009. While it's a question of personal preference and how people like music to be presented, right know I'm having a more enjoyable time with the LL/009.

Regards,
Erico 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back