Cavalli Audio - Liquid Fire
Jun 13, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #46 of 148
^^ Great read Alex. Thanks!

Since my LF arrived (and my platinum Siemens E88CC quad), I've stopped worrying about amplification for my headphones. Amazing how well it pairs with my very sensitive Audio Technica W3000ANVs right through my HD800s and T1s and simply a blast with my LCD-3s.

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #47 of 148
Honestly, I don't find my W3000ANV to sound best when connected to the Liquid Fire... I feel that the headphone out of my Weiss DAC202 and Antelope Zodiac Gold fare better with the W3000ANV. Maybe it's tube synergy, and the Telefunkens are a bit too thin sounding for W3000ANV. In any case, I now utilize the W3000ANV for portable use, so the LF is no longer in the picture as far as my W3000ANV is concerned. My LCD3 sounds wonderfully with the LF though. 

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #48 of 148
Quote:
Honestly, I don't find my W3000ANV to sound best when connected to the Liquid Fire... I feel that the headphone out of my Weiss DAC202 and Antelope Zodiac Gold fare better with the W3000ANV. Maybe it's tube synergy, and the Telefunkens are a bit too thin sounding for W3000ANV. In any case, I now utilize the W3000ANV for portable use, so the LF is no longer in the picture as far as my W3000ANV is concerned. My LCD3 sounds wonderfully with the LF though. 

Could be the tubes. I really like the W3000s through my LF. That said, they are also outstanding on my GS-1 (w/DACT attenuator) too. Maybe a quad of Siemens tubes in your future?
smile.gif

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #49 of 148
He's pretty proud of the tubes he's got now. I don't see him replacing them anytime soon. :wink:

Quote:
Could be the tubes. I really like the W3000s through my LF. That said, they are also outstanding on my GS-1 (w/DACT attenuator) too. Maybe a quad of Siemens tubes in your future?
smile.gif

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #50 of 148
LF Design II

One of the very earliest LF customers, icenine2, sent me a photo soon after getting his LF. We had not talked at all about the design elements in the LF. But, when the picture arrived I couldn't help but think that it said pretty much what I had in mind. I'm not making this up. It's exactly what happened.

Light and Fast.

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #51 of 148
I use my LF in an office environment and it fits in quite nicely, much better than the" exposed tube" amps I had previously.  Just my two cents.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #52 of 148
Quote:
Any chance there will an upgrade path from LF v1 to LF v2?  (Other than buying a whole new amp?  LOL)

[size=13.0pt]I second the idea of having ‒ if possible ‒ an upgrade path for the original Liquid Fire production run owners.  If Revision 2 of the Liquid Fire involves significant changes, conceivably, optional upgrade paths could be selected to customise both aurally and financially an owner’s unit, like…[/size]

[size=13.0pt]Optional Upgrade Path #1: $, or[/size]
[size=13.0pt]Optional Upgrade Path #2: $$, or[/size]
[size=13.0pt]A Full, Complete Optional Upgrade Path #3: $$$, effectively making it a like‒new Revision 2.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]Otherwise, I, too, like the Liquid Fire as it is.  I am only interested in aural improvements when they become available (tube dampers?).[/size]

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #54 of 148
Is it possible to make a future Cavalli Audio product in Silver or in brushed aluminum as option? I would love to upgrade to the LF2 if silver is an option as i like my equipment all match in color :D 

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #55 of 148
You know, I'd like to be able to do this someday. The primary restraint now is the small number of units that I build in one production run. It's just more expensive to split a small run into two completely different finishes and would probably increase the cost per unit. Something I'd prefer not to do. But, I'm listening to all of the input and will try to incorporate as many ideas as I reasonably can. Thanks.

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #56 of 148
I seem to be in the minority here.  I haven't seen any suggestions for balanced inputs / outputs.  This is only a suggestion from me because I re cabled all my headphones for my balanced B22. I'm not a LF owner at the present time.  However, in preparing for the LF-2 this is something I would like to see.  

Darryl

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #57 of 148
Quote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but what's the big deal about the LF (or any headphone amp, for that matter) having preamp outputs? Don't most people with a speaker setup already have a preamp?

I agree with you on this mwilson.  I love my speaker rigs, I love my headphone rigs just as much.  However, my preamp for my speaker rig is one thats designed just for that.  Anyway my speaker and headphone rigs are in different parts of the house.  So it's a mute point for me anyway.

Jun 16, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #58 of 148
Quote:
I seem to be in the minority here.  I haven't seen any suggestions for balanced inputs / outputs.  This is only a suggestion from me because I re cabled all my headphones for my balanced B22. I'm not a LF owner at the present time.  However, in preparing for the LF-2 this is something I would like to see.  

Darryl

Unless the amp was designed with a balanced topography, balanced inputs/outputs wouldn't really do anything. That's likely the reason.
smile.gif

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #59 of 148
May not provide balanced output but having the input/output would mean larger market for those who already have the balanced cables.  Wiring a XLR for single ended use, not hard :wink:

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #60 of 148
Quote:
May not provide balanced output but having the input/output would mean larger market for those who already have the balanced cables.  Wiring a XLR for single ended use, not hard :wink:

But most DACs have both balanced and un-balanced outs....so getting a pair of RCA interconnects isn't that hard.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back