Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
Jan 17, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #2,266 of 2,306
I am always happy with mine. Funny you should bring it up today. Yesterday I bought a Marantz SA-8005 which has an internal DAC. The LF has stock tubes and connected to the new Marantz it is like getting a new headphone amp. Wonderful. I've never rolled tubes; I just roll DACs.

D7000 in use here.

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #2,267 of 2,306
Thats a nice setup you have there :)

I pair mine with a schiit gungnir, they sound great together but unfortunately they dont stack well. Been looking at av racks for a while now and have finally settled on the bamboo atacama evoque SE. Hopefully that will be my next audio purchase.

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #2,268 of 2,306
  I am always happy with mine. Funny you should bring it up today. Yesterday I bought a Marantz SA-8005 which has an internal DAC. The LF has stock tubes and connected to the new Marantz it is like getting a new headphone amp. Wonderful. I've never rolled tubes; I just roll DACs.

D7000 in use here.

Clayton!  Looks great.  Hope all is well.

Keith

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #2,269 of 2,306
Any more feedback from other liquid fire owners out there? Im curious to hear how you feel about your (almost) 5 year old amp and how you think it compares with the more modern amps out there.

I have mine loaded with the philips SQ tubes and am very content with the sound signature. It sounds so smoooth! I have been running a pair of GS1ke's and lcd 2.2's through it, but a surprise hit I've just found is a set of fidelio x2's. These headphones can sound a bit shrill at the high end, but with the liquid fire the sound is rounded out nicely, eliminating the 'jaggy' treble.

Result - Awesome bass, warm mids, liquid noise!! I honestly dont think a set of <£200 cans have ever sounded so good!! Some awesome synergy going on here!

I had the Liquid Gold for a few weeks at home that Alex was kind enough to let me try out.  It was truly spectacular.  That being said the LF is still quite capable for me and still holds up quite well.

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #2,270 of 2,306
I also upgraded my outlet to a Furutech GTX and the cheapo Venom power cords with great results.

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #2,271 of 2,306
Listening to my Liquid Fire this evening. Here's an interesting observation: whenever I turn the volume up on this amp the sound gets larger, bigger, without any distortion. It almost doesn't sound loud, just big. I don't know how to explain this phenomenon.

I bought my amp in August of 2011 and have been enjoying it ever since.

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #2,272 of 2,306
I also upgraded my outlet to a Furutech GTX and the cheapo Venom power cords with great results.

Ive often wondered about upgrading my power cables from stock. But I just cant bring myself to do it.. I have all my plugs going into a 4 socket extension, would I need to upgrade that also? And the wiring in my house is old too, where would I stop?? Maybe one day..

Listening to my Liquid Fire this evening. Here's an interesting observation: whenever I turn the volume up on this amp the sound gets larger, bigger, without any distortion. It almost doesn't sound loud, just big. I don't know how to explain this phenomenon.

I bought my amp in August of 2011 and have been enjoying it ever since.

Ive been A>Bing my Liquid fire with a woo audio 7. The wa7 has clearer definition, and the imaging seems sharper. It actually stands up quite well to the cavalli. But the liquid fire just has a BIGGER sound. Not necessarily soundstage, but its warmer, more enveloping, like youre getting a big cuddle!

Have you considered upgrading the tubes yet Clayton? I would say its a worthy investment, Im sure others will back me up here

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #2,273 of 2,306
Ive often wondered about upgrading my power cables from stock. But I just cant bring myself to do it.. I have all my plugs going into a 4 socket extension, would I need to upgrade that also? And the wiring in my house is old too, where would I stop?? Maybe one day..
Ive been A>Bing my Liquid fire with a woo audio 7. The wa7 has clearer definition, and the imaging seems sharper. It actually stands up quite well to the cavalli. But the liquid fire just has a BIGGER sound. Not necessarily soundstage, but its warmer, more enveloping, like youre getting a big cuddle!

Have you considered upgrading the tubes yet Clayton? I would say its a worthy investment, Im sure others will back me up here

I've thought about upgrading the tubes but read somewhere that upgrading doesn't affect the sound much. You think otherwise, yes?

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #2,274 of 2,306
I think its absolutely worthwhile. Ive had the opportunity to try out 4 types of tubes in my unit and would say each type has different merits. Out of the four I would rank the jj tesla bottom - they sound good but in comparison they seem a little 2 dimensional.

My amp came with a matched quad set of philips SQ, and these are a very nice tube. Very warm, extended bass, and smooth treble, they sound liquid!

Recently curiosity got the better of me and I snatched up a deal on ebay for another set - 4 matched quad Mullard cv2492. These turned out to be the Ediswan military grade tubes, and again they are a big improvement on the stock. They are very airy, not quite as much bass as the philips, but a wider sound and great detail on the mids and treble.

I also came across a matched quad set of siemens A-frame. They have a date stamp from the 60s. Unfortunately they are microphonic, the first time I have experienced this phenomenon, with the volume turned down you hear every slight tap on the amp cabinet magnified through the headphones. With the volume up, the music takes over and everything they say about the Siemens tube is true. It is just a marvellous all-rounder. Detail, width, attack, bass to treble, they have stayed in my system since. 'Attack' is where I would place the Siemens above the philips, my music seems to come through a little more punchier. (Im making these terms up now lol)

So there you go, yes, I whole-heartedly agree on an upgrade of the e88cc stock tube. Unfortunately they are expensive to buy from a reputable dealer, but there are deals out there if you are willing to negotiate the minefield that is ebay. Just keep an eye out, be patient, and do your homework so you know what to look for. There are pleeenty of fakes out there.

And yeah probably best just to get the Siemens.

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #2,275 of 2,306

Listening to Dr. John tonight.  Picked up this five CD set for $16 on Amazon.  DR is killer good.  This is just pure enjoyment on the LF

Mar 22, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #2,278 of 2,306
Howdy Icenine2!
Still burning the LF I see!
It is such a great amp!

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #2,279 of 2,306
Hi

Since going to CanJam London 2016 and listening to Liquid Gold and Liquid Tungsten, I am in love with Cavalli Audio.

My question to the owners of LF, if I can source an immaculate used unit, do you think its a good move?

Oh, at this time I do not have a headphone amplifier at all. I would like to get into high end though.

Many thanks in advance.

Aug 16, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #2,280 of 2,306
  Hi

Since going to CanJam London 2016 and listening to Liquid Gold and Liquid Tungsten, I am in love with Cavalli Audio.

My question to the owners of LF, if I can source an immaculate used unit, do you think its a good move?

Oh, at this time I do not have a headphone amplifier at all. I would like to get into high end though.

Many thanks in advance.

I would think you'd be able to find one.  Post a WTB in For Sale Forum.  Keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back