Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon Now Available
Dec 8, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #1,128 of 1,195
  Check with Trevor at Norne Audio - he will likely be able to set you up and he makes top quality stuff. 

Alternatively you could check with Luna Shops over in China (look on eBay for them) - they'll make you whatever you want for pretty cheap - it just takes a while to ship. 

Cheers 

Thanks for the recommendation. Order placed yesterday.

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,129 of 1,195
Dec 8, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #1,130 of 1,195
  I just placed an order for the liquid carbon.  They advise that stock is very low and will only take orders via email for the remaining batch. Shipping is said to be by the end of this month.

I placed my order today through Cavalli sales. Sounds like there are not too many units left. Hopefully, they will finish all shipping this month.

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #1,132 of 1,195
If anyone with a Chord Mojo hasn't tried it with their Liquid Carbon yet, well get going and hook it up! Both of these things are quite amazing beasts for $599 (they're price-twins!). I might even consider getting a second Mojo to use as my desktop DAC if I wanted to downsize. Even though the Mojo's output is not balanced Alex's phase splitter in the LC does a good job getting ready for balanced output. I'd put this at the top of the list for portable/transportable DAC duty for anyone with an LC as well as strong consideration for desktop duty as well. Cheers 

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #1,133 of 1,195
  If anyone with a Chord Mojo hasn't tried it with their Liquid Carbon yet, well get going and hook it up! Both of these things are quite amazing beasts for $599 (they're price-twins!). I might even consider getting a second Mojo to use as my desktop DAC if I wanted to downsize. Even though the Mojo's output is not balanced Alex's phase splitter in the LC does a good job getting ready for balanced output. I'd put this at the top of the list for portable/transportable DAC duty for anyone with an LC as well as strong consideration for desktop duty as well. Cheers 

I did and the two compliment each other perfectly.  I strongly second this.

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #1,134 of 1,195

Hi, if you don't mind can you explain how the LC improves on the Mojo? I currently own a Mojo + Ether C and really enjoy the setup, currently listening to Deadmau5 via UAPP / Tidal as I type. I cancelled my LC order a month ago to pay / fund the Ether Cs and you know what's it like you always have that lingering thought in the back of your mind should I have kept it on order...

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #1,135 of 1,195
Hi, if you don't mind can you explain how the LC improves on the Mojo? I currently own a Mojo + Ether C and really enjoy the setup, currently listening to Deadmau5 via UAPP / Tidal as I type. I cancelled my LC order a month ago to pay / fund the Ether Cs and you know what's it like you always have that lingering thought in the back of your mind should I have kept it on order...

I'm in the same boat. I cancelled my LC order to fund the Mojo. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #1,136 of 1,195
How does the LC compare with the Vorzuge pure II+ which is the best portable amp I have yet heard?

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #1,137 of 1,195
  How does the LC compare with the Vorzuge pure II+ which is the best portable amp I have yet heard?

The LC really isn't a portable, it's a transportable, meaning it's pretty small, but still has to plug into an outlet. However, Alex does have a real portable version coming out sometime next year. I've heard it and it's wonderful - very, very close to the quality of sound of the LC, if not the same. 

Based on my experience the LC is the best transportable amp I've ever heard. I haven't played with the Vorzuge very much, so can't make a direct comparison. I'm sure someone else here has more experience than me. 

Cheers 

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #1,138 of 1,195

Let's see - how does the LC improve the Mojo. In my opinion (and please pipe in Relic and Purk and others who have the Mojo/LC combo) the LC takes the wonderfully high level of resolution and musicality that the Mojo puts out and gives it a bit more weight, authority (and power of course) but also finesse. That's the tricky part. Even though the LC is simply taking the "line-out" signal (which is pretty powerful) from the Mojo and amping it up, it does make it even more enjoyable to listen to. It's like how the ALO CDM adds just that extra bit of tube-goodness to the Mojo, the LC imprints Alex's great ability to amplify in a way that is really easy to listen to, but not 100% neutral/sterile. 

If I had to choose between the Mojo or the LC I'd go with the Mojo as it is more useful IMO as it can be used in many ways, but the pairing is great. I can only imagine that it would be awesome with the Ether C's as well. In fact I know the LC and the Ether C's go well together as I played with that combo for quite a while at RMAF/CanJam a few months ago. 

Cheers and enjoy the music!

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #1,139 of 1,195
I really have to like the PCB layout (from what I can see!).

The symmetry of the amplification stages, 

You can see the PSU is in the top left, with the audio transformers top right supplying signal coming into the two symmetrical amplification stages in the middle lower third via two large DC blocking electrolytic caps. Pause to admire the symmetry and exact placement of the solid state gain stages including the power transistors and finally the multiple VIAs in groups to guarantee ultra-low impedance to high currents for the drive. Finally exit through the XLR in the middle bottom precisely aligned with the two amplification stages - clearly by design!

A lovely sight.

Matthew

(PS All thoughts on what is where are my own and not based off any actual knowledge!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back