Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon Now Available
Dec 12, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #1,156 of 1,195
I am 1194 and got address verification today with tentative shipping date of "week of December 18."

On a related note, I am freaking out about power cable.  It does not come with one, so I have searched related threads and the ones people recommend here in general (not for this amp) range from about $150 to, well, thousands.  I don't want to start a whole different thread, but can people just give me some direction on what to do to make sure I have a reasonably decent power cable when this baby shows up?

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #1,157 of 1,195
  I am 1194 and got address verification today with tentative shipping date of "week of December 18."

On a related note, I am freaking out about power cable.  It does not come with one, so I have searched related threads and the ones people recommend here in general (not for this amp) range from about $150 to, well, thousands.  I don't want to start a whole different thread, but can people just give me some direction on what to do to make sure I have a reasonably decent power cable when this baby shows up?

Get a good quality power cable 12 or 14 AWG from Amazon for $5.  You really don't need boutique exotic power cables. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #1,158 of 1,195

I got the MAP1 from Morrow Audio.

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #1,159 of 1,195
"Get a good quality power cable 12 or 14 AWG from Amazon for $5.  You really don't need boutique exotic power cables."

+1

I have a box of extension cords and power cables. I selected one that came with a computer.  It's plugged in an waiting for the LC.

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #1,160 of 1,195

The best advice I can give you is to avoid those threads entirely to be honest.

sling5s has the right idea, but if you seriously want to start looking at the typical boutique power cables (absurdly expensive..) IMO avoid the the hyped sellers and look at cheaper cables/ebayers. Before you spend hundreds on a power cable consider:
1. There's not a lot (well, I haven't seen any at all actually..) of science that supports cables making clear sonic differences.
2. The wiring in your house is most definitely not "audiophile grade"
3. You've purchased an affordable product -- most have chosen the Liquid Carbon due to it's relative cost in performance. It seems silly to jack the price up spending large amounts of money on cable which ultimately is not going to make much more than a very subtle difference in the best case.

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #1,161 of 1,195
Even Jude himself uses $5 Amazon power cables. Mentioned in some thread somewhere. Long as its got good shielding and thick AWG. 
Worry more about quality interconnects and headphone cables. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #1,162 of 1,195
Thanks guys.  I am feeling a lot better.  Those power cable threads made me sweat.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #1,163 of 1,195
On the other hand, I do see a $200 balanced cable purchase in my future for my HD650s....

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #1,164 of 1,195

Fancy power cords are unnecessary.  Here is why.  Open up your outlet and look at the romex wire in your walls.  How can a $1000 fancy power cord at the end of many, many feet of plain jane wire do anything meaningful to the electricity?  The "cleansing" happens inside your Liquid Carbon when the AC gets converted to DC to power the amp components.  Dr. Cavalli can explain how.

A reference for you:  http://sound.westhost.com/cables-p4.htm#power

Stick with shielded, heavy gauge power cords.  Some bang-for-the-buck cords I use are Pangea, Belden 19364, and Belden 83803.  Good luck.

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #1,165 of 1,195
Fancy power cords are unnecessary.  Here is why.  Open up your outlet and look at the romex wire in your walls.  How can a $1000 fancy power cord at the end of many, many feet of plain jane wire do anything meaningful to the electricity?  The "cleansing" happens inside your Liquid Carbon when the AC gets converted to DC to power the amp components.  Dr. Cavalli can explain how.

A reference for you:  http://sound.westhost.com/cables-p4.htm#power

Stick with shielded, heavy gauge power cords.  Some bang-for-the-buck cords I use are Pangea, Belden 19364, and Belden 83803.  Good luck.

Spend about $100 max on a power chord. I don't see the point of spending $3000 on a power chord, you're better off investing that in a better DAC/headphone etc. Cables should be the last upgrade in your system.

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #1,166 of 1,195
You're better off speding that money on some power conditioner/surge supresion/protector.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #1,167 of 1,195

monoprice.com

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #1,169 of 1,195
  I got the MAP1 from Morrow Audio.

Nice I also got the :

Used MA3, 1/2 mtr pair, Standard RCA's        
Used MAP1, 1 meter with standard  Wattgates

during black friday...both for under 170 usd should be getting them next month as it was a day late delivered to my folks house after I left.

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #1,170 of 1,195
Nice I also got the :

Used MA3, 1/2 mtr pair, Standard RCA's        

Used MAP1, 1 meter with standard  Wattgates

during black friday...both for under 170 usd should be getting them next month as it was a day late delivered to my folks house after I left.

Yeah I think I picked them up for around $95 shipped. Let me know how the MA3s are. I found a Nordost Blue Leif RCA a while back for $100 but now I've got the chance to pick up Heimdall 2s for around $300. Wondering whether I should jump on those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back