Cat-Fi
Feb 22, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #181 of 1,403
duh, that's what my tin foil hat is for...

Quote:
When your cat develops cancer, you won't have to look far for an explanation. If you really love your pets, don't put a radio-frequency emitting device on them. In fact, if you love life, don't use radio-frequency emitting devices at all.

I always find it wonderful how people never question how technology works and the effect it has the living cell on the long term. They just think, hey, it makes life easier!

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #182 of 1,403
Sure, I'm a over-zealously prudent fool.

And there's isn't much conclusive material on PubMed or similar sources. There isn't enough data yet, and the time frame isn't long enough. Besides, the causes of cancer are nowadays so numerous, it gets more and more difficult to pin-point one source as a contribution to it.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #183 of 1,403
The rats in their natural habitat...(Read: Indoors, mostly camouflaged, and stealing valuable bed space.) Stubby to the left, Brownie to the right. Last time I checked, they massed a whopping 9 lbs combined.

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #184 of 1,403

Quote:
Sure, I'm a over-zealously prudent fool.

And there's isn't much conclusive material on PubMed or similar sources. There isn't enough data yet, and the time frame isn't long enough. Besides, the causes of cancer are nowadays so numerous, it gets more and more difficult to pin-point one source as a contribution to it.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

this product contains a chemical known to the state of california to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #185 of 1,403
I won't speculate about cancer because I'm not a doctor or vet. However, I know the RF exposure limits discussed by the ARRL (I'm an amateur radio guy) and am not terribly worried about low-level exposure. When I key up a transmitter, however, I go by the book with exposure limits.

Anyhow, another kitty turned up. I don't have pics yet, but will try to get some out.

Pathetic little thing out in the alley. She seemed completely lost and was starving. She ate a can of food almost as big as she is. I'd say she's about six weeks old. A little calico; she's almost an orange tabby, but it looks like she was dusted with black spraypaint. (No cats were painted in the making of this post. :)) Very cute, lively and has a sweet disposition. She likes to be held and petted and always purrs. I think she will be a terrific lap cat.

However, I think we might try to find her a new home. My family and I are at the cat saturation point (ten amongst us all) and Mai Tai is deeply offended at having another cat around. Mai Tai is really spoiled (I pulled her out of the same alley when she was wretched and pathetic) and now she's used to exclusive use of my lap and attention.

So if anyone wants a healthy, happy little kitty that's loving and would make a great pet, I'd be happy to pass her along. Drop me a PM. I can get her to Arizona or people in LA. Oh, and I've trained her to use a box (hasn't missed yet) and she eats regular food. It'd be a smooth transition.

And no, there's NO way I'll dump the kitty or put her in a shelter. If a home can't be found, one of us will keep and love her. I'd like to see her go somewhere she can have undivided attention without competing with other cats.

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #189 of 1,403

And this is her sister, Maya.  She's also an Egyptian Mau, but the genetically rarer "Smoke" variety. 

I spent approximately 25 years wanting an Egyptian Mau, so I've been pretty excited to finally get these two.  
wink.gif

I make their food, since they're on a raw food diet. But we alternate with the better canned food for variety.

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #190 of 1,403
What beautiful cats!

I found a home for my kitten. I send a few photos to my cousin to see if she knew of a home and my cousin fell for her. We had a family brunch today and my cousin came by after. She loves the kitten and will pick her up tomorrow.

I'm thrilled that the kitty will stay in the family! My cousins are wonderful. About ten years ago, a pregnant stray showed up at my parents' place and had one kitten. The kitten wasn't well (we took it to the vet) and it unfortunately died after a few days. But my cousins took the mama and have completely spoiled her. This kitten is about to get the same. :) They still have that stray and a little doggie, but they should all fit in. The kitten will be able to lounge around a nice house, get tons of attention and sleep on their bed every night. A happy ending and a good life for a little kitty that probably wouldn't have made it down in the desert.

Mai Tai will be happy, too. Though she's OK with the kitten now, she will once again be the center of attention.

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #191 of 1,403
Thought I'd post this if any of you haven't seen it.  Don't want to start some big controversy, so if you don't agree, don't expect me to wage some battle of words.  Just putting it out there for people's info:

http://www.catinfo.org/

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #192 of 1,403
Thanks for the input; I always wanted to know more about cat diet, and my suspicions seem confirmed. Time to change my cats' diet, even if I am buying one of best dry food for them. That water issue had been worrying me, since I wasn't under the impression they always drink enough.

Now I understand why a good friend of mine goes to so much trouble to prepare her cats' food, actually taking better care of her cats than herself! But that's another story :p .

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #194 of 1,403
I'll take a hard look at the raw food diet. Looks like it can be prepared in bulk and is reasonable. Don't think I'll have much trouble getting Mai Tai to eat it - she spent a few weeks dumpster-diving before I rescued her and she's practically a garbage disposal when it comes to table scraps. (Yes, I give her high-quality food otherwise.) She plowed through leftover turkey tonight and, surprisingly, sampled an unguarded martini tonight. :D I didn't think she'd actually drink from it, but she did. I got her away from it.

Gypsy the kitten was handed off to my cousin this afternoon. She saw vet this afternoon and all is well. I spent the morning with her curled up on me while I was online. I miss the little kitty, but she's in a great home and I'll get to see her regularly.

Mai Tai seemed more relaxed without the kitten around. Or maybe that was just the martini she had tonight.

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #195 of 1,403
My folks just got a kitten, I believe they called it a flame-tip siamese or somesuch. Unfortunately because of my wifes allergies I have to stick to dog-fi, and because of the apartment I only have small dog-fi. Hopefully I can upgrade soon though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back