Casework: Share Your DIY Enclosures
Jul 24, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #348 of 400
Many thanks guys
smile.gif

Now, hurry up and get to your casework so we can see you beautiful creations!

Jul 24, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #349 of 400
zkool - spectacular work - easily your best yet (to my eyes) and I expect it'll be a source of pride for years to come. You make me realize how much I have to learn about woodworking.
wink.gif

The only thing I would have done differently is counterbore the holes for the fastening screws on the top plate so that the heads don't protrude, but that's my personal aesthetic rearing its head.

I hope to have the casework on my Bijou completed in the next month or so, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jul 25, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #350 of 400
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You make me realize how much I have to learn about woodworking.
wink.gif

If you have the tools that I have, I promise you can do it. Yes counterbored holes would look quite nice indeed, I’d consider it definitely it’s just I wanted to keep the look consistent with my CTH and SOHA II tops.

Please post up pics of your Bijou once it’s done!

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneplustwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ZK - what are you planning on doing with the top as far as finish? Also, how are you attaching the top to the rest of the case? I'm trying to figure out what to do with the top of mine.

oneplustwo, FYI note that I didn’t go with my original plan with triangle blocks for corner mounting since I had limited space. Instead I used L-brackets with threaded nuts (J-B welded underside screw holes). Just another option to mount the top lid.
zkbijoucornermounts.jpg

Jul 25, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #352 of 400
Quote:

Originally Posted by danobeavis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a couple of preamp enclosures I'm working on. Wood and finished aluminum from basic stock.

Neat.

Are you intending that they remain open-frame like this even when finished?

k

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #353 of 400
This thread can't be dying off already! Here's some progress against the front panel for a Buffalo32S I'm working on:

3810815474_54820b55ea_b.jpg

It's just a piece of birch from HD. Planning on tung oil and polyurethane finish after rounding over the edges.

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #354 of 400
awesome work on the Bijou zkool448, what is the model number of that LED switch you used if you dont mind?? and where did you get it?? its little finishes like that thet I would like to use for my B32 build. also do you have any experience getting wood laser-cut?? wondering if there is anything in particular I need to be aware of. of course with your skill its unlikely you have bothered to get any done, but thought I would ask you and the thread. i'm making a mixed media case with diecast, clear acrylic and some Amboyna that I have left over from some denon cups. so I wont be doing the work, but I have designed all the panels in illustrator and cad. does that count??
wink.gif
_

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #356 of 400
Quote:

This thread can't be dying off already!

hi oneplustwo, perhaps some folks are just a bit shy to post their DIY enclosures
wink.gif
or mostly just hold off until their builds are finished before sharing their tips and pics.

Quote:

Here's some progress against the front panel for a Buffalo32S I'm working on:
It's just a piece of birch from HD. Planning on tung oil and polyurethane finish after rounding over the edges.

Nice work there. I think you're pretty lucky since my local home depot don’t even carry birch, just some maple, oak, and pine
mad.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
awesome work on the Bijou zkool448, what is the model number of that LED switch you used if you dont mind?? and where did you get it?? its little finishes like that thet I would like to use for my B32 build. also do you have any experience getting wood laser-cut?? wondering if there is anything in particular I need to be aware of. of course with your skill its unlikely you have bothered to get any done, but thought I would ask you and the thread. i'm making a mixed media case with diecast, clear acrylic and some Amboyna that I have left over from some denon cups. so I wont be doing the work, but I have designed all the panels in illustrator and cad. does that count??
wink.gif
_

Quote:

Originally Posted by suo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
zkool that bijou cannot possibly be DIY. Phenomenal work.

Thanks guys
smile.gif

Gusp, I believe the switch is the same latching stainless Bulgin illuminated switch that most folks here have. The part number from Mouser is 117-MP0045/1E2BL012

Sorry you're right I’ve never really looked into getting wood laser cut. You’re enclosure sounds like a good project, it sure does count especially if you are designing the panels yourself -- I really think the best results come out of well thought out designs IMHO. Please post some before and after pics!

After a nice two week vacation, here is something new I quickly put together before I returned to work this week, a Flexy rack (sorry, not casework related) which idea I stumbled upon from this post over the weekend. The rack I think is definitely one of the simplest, easiest solution, and attractive build that anyone can easily do. It only took 1 hr to cut the shelves, drill the holes and sand, another 30 minutes to stain, then 1 hr to level/assemble = 2.5hrs total.

zkampsflexyrack.jpg

I do feel however that I need to add one or two more shelves to it ready for my next projects down the road (anticipating release of the Cavalli EHPA
biggrin.gif
)

p.s. In case some of you missed it, I did post a youtube video a few days ago with the Bijou vu meters in action. cheers.

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #357 of 400
Here is the case I am going to build to put a gainclone in. I kept it simple since it will be my first fully DIY enclosure and I am still designing the panels/jacks (hopefully I can get more accurate than usual on the drill press by printing out the design and taping it to the panel).

BTW, the gap is for airflow since it will be made out of MDF.

Aug 16, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #358 of 400
3825673686_e6e47538f1.jpg

Some progress on the front panel for a Buffalo 32S (same panel as the one I posted previously.) Rounded the edges and got some tung oil on it. Still gotta polyurethane. (Will be my first time with it so I'm hoping it goes well.)

Rear panel:
3824869925_db35573f88.jpg

Still have to make the holes for the USB and Toslink... darn square holes.

The guts:
3824870351_86dafcc96a.jpg

3 channel beta with encapsulated toroid, speaker and preouts, switched RCA inputs, stepped attenuator, and switched headphone jack.
3825673426_c72f295f4c.jpg

3824871411_662e9a3286.jpg

This is my first Sumner toroid so I want to verify the wiring before I put power to it. It's already been tested with another toroid so it should be straight forward from there on out.

The guts:
3825672636_8dbd501821.jpg

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #360 of 400
Here are some pictures of my finally finished AMB M³.
Took me about one and a half year to finish it because I just didn't have the time.

Front:

Front:

Back:

M³ and his companions
dt880smile.png

Material is walnut wood and stainless steel.
The front panel was done on a cnc machine, some of the wood-work was done by a carpenter.
I am working in the workshop of my grandfather, his machines aren't accourate enough sometimes.
If I had the machines I would have done all of the woodwork, there's nothing really difficult about it.

The SOHA II you see is only a guest, it belongs to my father and came here for some repair.
(But it's also built be me.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back