Case-it-yourself DAC kit
May 12, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #16 of 50
I wonder if its worth the cost of jensen transformers? they used to make pro-audio grade balanced trans.

btw, you can't be a true tweak-head unless you are dissatisfied with a final output stage. so I take that with a grain of salt
wink.gif

May 12, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #17 of 50
Yeah, once they mentioned the transformers that pretty much ended the tweaking of the output stage. I plan on swapping out the primary opamp and taking the second opamp out that they use as a 'buffer' and putting a real buffer in there to see what that does for it.

I just want the sound to be as flat as possible out of the DAC. If anything is going to color my sound I want it to be my amps, not my source.

May 12, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #18 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if its worth the cost of jensen transformers? they used to make pro-audio grade balanced trans.

btw, you can't be a true tweak-head unless you are dissatisfied with a final output stage. so I take that with a grain of salt
wink.gif

Maybe not the cost of Jensen, but there are a few other lower cost options..

May 13, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #19 of 50
ive had this dac for a few months now, ive alwasy wondered if it would be possible to add an optical switch to it. i share between 4 sources and dislike having to pull out optical cablesbles

May 14, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #21 of 50
I'm tempted to get one to play with it as I have a bunch of HDAMs sitting around.

May 17, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #24 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the schematic and plans are coming, for that spdif thing. still some testing needed and some changes in the circuit to make it smaller/cheaper. plans will be posted here when its complete (boards and all that, too).

Can't wait for this optical switch!

Also, has anyone managed to compare this DAC to others?

May 19, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #25 of 50
The vendor also offers another DAC based on the CS4397, which comes with PSU but no transformer. Lukasz Fikus (the lampizator guy) talks quite a bit about both of these, plus I read what seemed like the worlds longest thread on DIY Audio about these two DACS.

My Marantz already has the CS4398, so I thought I'd give the CS4397 a try. It was about $50 including shipping. I want to try it as-is, and then with either transformer coupling via Lundahl LL7902s, or maybe do a lampizator-esque tube stage.

I only got the thing mounted up on a breadboard with a little power transformer recently, and have minimal listening in at this time. I've got to say that it's pretty nice sounding as-is; shocking considering how cheap it is. I even rolled in a couple different op-amps, and it sounds best so far as it arrived.

I'll post up some detailed impressions later, but so far it's certainly a fair bargain. The soundstage feels somewhat intimate {ie, it's not as open/wide a soundstage as the Marantz(CS4398) or Ally DAC(pcm1793) has}, but the detail and clarity is excellent. A lot nicer than your average CD player.

Of course there is a lot more to a DAC and it's sound than the chip itself, but this guy's CS4397 DAC is so far and awesome platform to start from. You could hack this into a $50 player and it would be a pretty sweet source for $100.

May 21, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #28 of 50
got mine today!

the unboxing:

3552694640_0340f725da_o.jpg

3551885701_dc7bfae88f_o.jpg

3551886133_ca6cca68d0_o.jpg

this was from gigawork.

have not connected it to power yet - I didn't order the trafo from them so I have to find something of my own.

the box was well packed and things did arrive safely. so far so good.

I've also uploaded all the files he included on that cdrom:

http://www.netstuff.org/lm_gigawork_dac3/

May 21, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #29 of 50
It looks like there's no add on clock circuit which fits where those jumpers are.

Thanks for those manual files. Also, do you have any dimensions? HxWxD?

May 21, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #30 of 50
there's an add-on circuit, it came in its own bubble wrap.

I plan to try it without the circuit, first. smoke test without things plugged in - that includes expensive little plug-in cards
wink.gif

my toslink jack didn't come with a plug/cover, though. I don't care - but its a detail they missed. and its not the shutter type, either.

I'm reviewing the included schematic now. I don't like the fact that they skimped on the pulse transformer. this means the coax input is not floating, as per the spdif spec. its one thing I'd change if I were modding this.

I also see they are using a 12v relay and that relay is controlled by the spdif receiver 'valid' (or 'signal ok') pin. I like the fact that there's a muting relay here, but I might change this to a 5v latching relay and get its coil off the private op-amp dual 12 bus..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back