Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Jun 7, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #2,656 of 2,728
Hey guys just got a pair of 2020 cascades that came with just 2 filters. Is that normal?

Also what’s everyone’s recommendation for filter and pads? I’m a basshead I love especially mid bass thump. my previous favorite headphones were the VModa M100 masters because of the mid bass. Looking forward to all your guys expertise
There should be 4 filters.

Jun 7, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #2,657 of 2,728
I read the filters are supposed to lessen the bass. Can you maybe explain your thoughts on how they changed the sound and why you choose to use no filter ?
The cloth pads definitely have less bass. Basically an open pad. The filters would raise the mids. It literally makes them sound like different headphones. Just did it to change things up.

I also thought the XL pads made them sound bassier and bigger. But after several months, it was just messier. I popped the stock pads back on and it was like, "Oh yeah!" Nice clean, sharp sound with a great measure of bass.

I have had these for a few years and am never getting rid of them. They are not a top five in my collection, but when I am in the mood, they are Awesome! :L3000:

Jun 7, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #2,658 of 2,728
I’ve been listening to my Cascade 2020’s and have the 4 different filters and after using them all day and swapping out filters it’s pretty dang hard to hear any real audible difference. Placement of ear cups and different pads are the real audible difference. Kind of like my Focal Clear Mg, there’s a placement that dials them in, though not as much as swapping to leather utopia pads. My ZMF headphones to my ears are more forgiving with placement, maybe It’s due to the lack of angles on the ZMF 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #2,659 of 2,728
I’ve been listening to my Cascade 2020’s and have the 4 different filters and after using them all day and swapping out filters it’s pretty dang hard to hear any real audible difference. Placement of ear cups and different pads are the real audible difference. Kind of like my Focal Clear Mg, there’s a placement that dials them in, though not as much as swapping to leather utopia pads. My ZMF headphones to my ears are more forgiving with placement, maybe It’s due to the lack of angles on the ZMF 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Hey guys just got a pair of 2020 cascades that came with just 2 filters. Is that normal?

Also what’s everyone’s recommendation for filter and pads? I’m a basshead I love especially mid bass thump. my previous favorite headphones were the VModa M100 masters because of the mid bass. Looking forward to all your guys expertise

My 2020 Cascade, serial 13xx, came with the 4 filters. I can't remember now which I'm using, and I can't locate the other 3 at the moment, so I guess that speaks to how much they really affect the sound. Whatever minor tuning changes they might make could just as easily be achieved with subtle EQ.

Pads do make a much more significant difference, I have a strong preference for either the cloth or XL leather pads. To me the stock ones have a compressed boxed-in sound that I find fatiguing after an hour or so. The cloth ones soften the sound significantly which I find much easier to listen to, with a small sacrifice to detail. The XL leather pads expand soundstage rather significantly while maintaining a good level of detail.

It's coming up on 3 years now since I got these, and I still really like them. I've heard a few of CFA's other bass-blast IEMs like Dorado2020 and Trifecta, but I've had zero interest in getting either of them. I believe Cascade is more than enough to enjoy this kind of sound signature at a much more attractive price point.

Jun 7, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #2,660 of 2,728
My 2020 Cascade, serial 13xx, came with the 4 filters. I can't remember now which I'm using, and I can't locate the other 3 at the moment, so I guess that speaks to how much they really affect the sound. Whatever minor tuning changes they might make could just as easily be achieved with subtle EQ.

Pads do make a much more significant difference, I have a strong preference for either the cloth or XL leather pads. To me the stock ones have a compressed boxed-in sound that I find fatiguing after an hour or so. The cloth ones soften the sound significantly which I find much easier to listen to, with a small sacrifice to detail. The XL leather pads expand soundstage rather significantly while maintaining a good level of detail.

It's coming up on 3 years now since I got these, and I still really like them. I've heard a few of CFA's other bass-blast IEMs like Dorado2020 and Trifecta, but I've had zero interest in getting either of them. I believe Cascade is more than enough to enjoy this kind of sound signature at a much more attractive price point.
While we have opposite taste in pads, I couldn't agree more with the rest of your comments. :grin:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #2,661 of 2,728
I read the filters are supposed to lessen the bass. Can you maybe explain your thoughts on how they changed the sound and why you choose to use no filter ?
I am not that guy, I personally use the max bass filter because I like the way it jiggles my brain

Jun 10, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #2,662 of 2,728
Yesterday i received my 2020 Cascade and can confirm there is just the 1T and 4T filter included!

One thing i instantly noticed is the earcups are much more down then on other headphones so it feels like its gonna slide off my head at any moment. Also sometimes when i look to the right or left i feel the seal dissapearing making bass sound weird. Is there anything i can do to fix that ?

Jun 10, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #2,663 of 2,728
Yesterday i received my 2020 Cascade and can confirm there is just the 1T and 4T filter included!

One thing i instantly noticed is the earcups are much more down then on other headphones so it feels like its gonna slide off my head at any moment. Also sometimes when i look to the right or left i feel the seal dissapearing making bass sound weird. Is there anything i can do to fix that ?
I use a head pad designed for aviation headsets. It's more comfortable and stationary than those I've tried for regular headphones. It also looks like it belongs on the headphones.

Jun 10, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #2,665 of 2,728
how did you put it on? and can you maybe link where you bought it or how it looks like ? thanks
Here's the Amazon title:
Headband Pad Soft Foam Head Pads Headband Cushions for David Clark H10, Rugged,Zulu,Faro Pilot Aviation Headsets

I first bought them for the Hifiman Edition XS, then for the Casecades. They make both fit perfectly. They fasten around the headset with a snap. It's almost too small. but it's held on both headphones for year now. I was going to build a suspension strap for them, but this works fine and it's only $15.

Attachments

• headset.png
    headset.png
    544.3 KB · Views: 0
  • casecade.jpg
    casecade.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #2,666 of 2,728
Here's the Amazon title:
Headband Pad Soft Foam Head Pads Headband Cushions for David Clark H10, Rugged,Zulu,Faro Pilot Aviation Headsets

I first bought them for the Hifiman Edition XS, then for the Casecades. They make both fit perfectly. They fasten around the headset with a snap. It's almost too small. but it's held on both headphones for year now. I was going to build a suspension strap for them, but this works fine and it's only $15.
thank you ordered the same

Jun 22, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #2,669 of 2,728
Finally picked up a set of XL pads that CA had in stock last week. Everyone here was right! Enjoying the physical extra space as well as the bit extra soundstage. Out of the 4 pads I have tried (original, original with white filters remove, cloth, and XL) these are my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back