Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Nov 8, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #1,381 of 2,728
I only just got my cascade, what DAP would you recommend in general? Or am I better off with a DAC/AMP? Currently using mostly streaming tidal or Spotify (in the past) from my Samsung s9 plus and potentially looking at upgrading to a balanced cable.

I heard good things about the Ibasso DX200 and QPR2 :)
I probably prefer the Ibasso because it can run either streaming services and local music :)

Hard to go wrong on the DX200 as it is a great DAP by pretty much all measures. The Cascade doesn't really need a ton of power so no need for the most potent amp module to push them which conserves a bit on battery life too. I know @ngoshawk has the QPR so you might ask him for his take on the pairing as I haven't heard that one to speak to it. The Shanling M3s or M5s would make good options as well. I had the M3s paired with the cascades for awhile and found it to be quite good. I'm using mine mostly with the Opus #1s or desktop setup (Ifi iOne with Burson Fun amp) as I am not a big user of streaming services so that pairing works for me but will likely be less than good with your choices in source.

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #1,382 of 2,728
Hard to go wrong on the DX200 as it is a great DAP by pretty much all measures. The Cascade doesn't really need a ton of power so no need for the most potent amp module to push them which conserves a bit on battery life too. I know @ngoshawk has the QPR so you might ask him for his take on the pairing as I haven't heard that one to speak to it. The Shanling M3s or M5s would make good options as well. I had the M3s paired with the cascades for awhile and found it to be quite good. I'm using mine mostly with the Opus #1s or desktop setup (Ifi iOne with Burson Fun amp) as I am not a big user of streaming services so that pairing works for me but will likely be less than good with your choices in source.

Thanks I'll continue testing with eq on phone for now and cloth pads. Might end up getting DAP eventually! :)

Edit: Should note I really like them a lot and use it for almost everything

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #1,383 of 2,728
Thanks I'll continue testing with eq on phone for now and cloth pads. Might end up getting DAP eventually! :)

Edit: Should note I really like them a lot and use it for almost everything

The QP2R replaces my Opus #2 as my top DAP, even though it is only a “music player.” Both Sound really good, but I favor the QP2R now, because to me is sounds a bit more neutral. If I want a bit warmer sound, then the #2 or my M3s.

People I know have and love the DX200, so in my mind you cannot go wrong with either. Many like the DX150, as well. Pick a budget, go and try them with the Cascade if possible or go to meets and try them. That way you will be sure. There are quite a bit of good to excellent DAPs at the $400-1500 range.

Good luck.

Nov 8, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #1,385 of 2,728
I only just got my cascade, what DAP would you recommend in general? Or am I better off with a DAC/AMP? Currently using mostly streaming tidal or Spotify (in the past) from my Samsung s9 plus and potentially looking at upgrading to a balanced cable.

I heard good things about the Ibasso DX200 and QPR2 :)
I probably prefer the Ibasso because it can run either streaming services and local music :)
Ifi Black

Nov 8, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #1,386 of 2,728
Well the headband is stupid, it feels like a golf ball on top pressed onto my skull. But extending the headband so it doesnt press down too hard helps. Another thing is its bass, I love bass but the Cascade has a lot of it so best to match the Cascade with a very neautral dac. The Cascade can sound really great on some recordings and soso on other recordings.

I am planning to listen to rnb, hiphop and pop music that's like 90 % of my library

Nov 8, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #1,387 of 2,728
I'd say that the Cascades get 90% of my headphone usage at home (music, movies, games where I don't need/want a mic), with around 6% of my usage to the Aeon closed (audio/video editing), and the rest of my home usage split between the Vegas (rarely used at home, mainly for commuting/subway) or Sennheiser PC350SE (used when headset/mic is needed for games or phone/video calls). I probably could edit audio using the Cascades, but putting on the Aeon kind of puts me into work mode. HA! For me, the Cascades out of the box had the perfect highs and lows, that makes everything a joy to listen to. My only gripe is that they don't isolate that well, but given that they are meant to be a portable headphone, that makes sense. With any luck the new, larger earpads that are supposed to be out soon will add a bit more isolation. If not, I'll still get them for the comfort factor (the cups on the Cascades don't leave much, if any, room for my ears), although I'll probably start looking for a headphone with a similar sound but with better noise attenuating/isolating qualities.

You can't really go wrong with the CFA Cascade if you like a "V" shaped sound.

To be honest V shape is fine as long as its done right i am not quite familiar with the audiophile terminologies but what I can tell you is that i enjoyed my se846 for 2 years then i bought lyra ii and took some time getting used to the treble but with a nice foam tip i am fine with it my he 400i only got 10 hours use out of them in 2+ years because they lacked bass and preferred shure over everything else because of the bass now I want something more not just physical bass but a good quality over all and when i looked up Vega seemed to be a logical upgrade to se846 and now we have atlas that's what caused all the confusion I think cascade will suit me better than the other two IEMs maybe they are what i am truly looking for

Nov 9, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #1,388 of 2,728
I am planning to listen to rnb, hiphop and pop music that's like 90 % of my library
Cascades are perfect for that! Especially hiphop pop and any type of electronic.

I keep getting sucked into the Solaris hype but every time over the last couple weeks I put the Cascades on to decide if I should sell and put towards a $1500 IEM and I keep getting sucked into the fun exciting sound of the Cascades over and over

Nov 9, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #1,389 of 2,728
Cascades are perfect for that! Especially hiphop pop and any type of electronic.

I keep getting sucked into the Solaris hype but every time over the last couple weeks I put the Cascades on to decide if I should sell and put towards a $1500 IEM and I keep getting sucked into the fun exciting sound of the Cascades over and over
I agree that the cascade works well with those styles of music.

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #1,390 of 2,728

Hehehe its funny as i am also saving a bit on the side for solaris

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #1,394 of 2,728
I'm sure it'e been mentioned before...

However I've got to say removing the White Filters on the Cascade does wonders for their tonal balance!!!!!! Running one with no Filter on Full Silver and it's quite nice,

4bXIjnQ.jpg

I'm a bit irked I didn't think to remove them my self, and sooner. I'm wrapping up Aeon Flow C review now and... with those filters in I can't say the Cascade won my over VS it. However removing them is quite noticeable and favorable for what I like! Oh well, doing another review now in which I'll likely discuss the changes removing the filter introduces!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back