Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Apr 19, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #916 of 2,728
Agree about the iDSD BL; it's a stellar piece of gear. I haven't tried the Cascade with mine yet because it sounds spectacular with the ALO V5, which makes me think the Cascades really like tubes... the V5 tames the treble a bit and just lets the Cascades shine.

i tried feeding my ifi pro can with both ifi micro dsd black label and mojo to be used as dacs

the mojo as a dac sounded way better with stellar mids and details compared to ifi black label, mojo is a way better in everything as a dac when fed into my ifi pro can, this totally surprised me

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #917 of 2,728
And I think the Cascade is very reasonably priced at $799. Considering the build, comfort and high quality sound, it could justify $1K plus. Thankfully, it's in the right price bracket and seems to be an early success considering it's on back order already.

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #918 of 2,728
TL/DR CASCADE

I owned the TH900 and the treble was off. It is pretty much a "V" sig. 10Khz is a freq range where IEM and sometimes maybe closed back have a peak that gives a psycho acoustic sense of space.
Like putting an eq notch on a studio tuned set at the end of the fundamental bass range before harmonic stage (exactly there) to give an illusion of space between kick drum and bass guitar which occupy same freq at the same time. It should not really work but it does trick the brain and pro's use that and the 10Khz trick...which is not what Fostex did with the TH900 I had and they desperately needed that because of the elevated bass .
Bass was great, mids are dipped and treble is odd.
Collectors item for the guy who has money to burn. Not a set for critical listening or long term relaxed listening.

Cascade all the way.
Awesome!! Thanks for the input!

Apr 19, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #919 of 2,728
Truth be told, I'm not using the Edition X V2 much lately (contemplating selling), but the best pairing for me has always been the WA8 Eclipse (Audirvana+).

hmmm i have on the way he x v2, i hope i will not be disappointed

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #921 of 2,728
And I think the Cascade is very reasonably priced at $799. Considering the build, comfort and high quality sound, it could justify $1K plus. Thankfully, it's in the right price bracket and seems to be an early success considering it's on back order already.
I was supremely lucky and was able to purchase the last pair available on the last day of CanJam SoCal for $699. I almost didn't purchase it as the payment phone was not available and I needed to wait until it arrived. I had another appointment scheduled and ended up late, but needless to say I was so glad I waited. Now if only I would have picked up a Mojo while I was there :wink:

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #923 of 2,728
Based on two of Campfire Audio products, Andromeda and the Cascade now, I get a sense that Ken tunes the sound to reduce sibilance(which I'm all for personally to be more friendly to wide range of music with vocals). Both of them hardly has any sibilance. Both are tuned to be on the warm side, but of course Cascade's bass much much more significant. It's for those that love a lot of bass. Bass doesn't sound like it's the very low woofer bass, but the kind that has much weight in the mid-bass region, but very very significant in impact and the quantity. Bass isn't the kind that has much textures, but just really elevated kind that when you push drivers to the limits in bass, and it starts to sound a bit bloomy kind. I guess this is attributed to being a closed back.

Other than the bass being so significant, it does sound a bit characteristically like Andromeda in the upper portions(like the reduction of sibilance, and overall smoothness of the treble), but with Andromeda have slightly more lower treble peak. I don't hear treble frequency that peaks significantly above other parts in transition to sound a bit sparkly or grain sounds sticking out.

Although, the bass doesn't seem to be too overwhelming the mids, but mids sounds a bit on warm side that can sound a bit less articulated with a bit of a bloomyness. Overall, mids to lower seems a bit on the bloomy side. My personal taste is a bit different from this tuning(although I knew what kind of headphone it was going to be going in). I'm not a bass-head, and prefer the mid-bass more linear with the nearby frequencies in the bass, with slight reduction in warmth. Bass can be bit more on the tighter side, it's a bit on the looser side for my taste, and it does effect the mids to some degree due to the added warmth from sound that is closer to neutral(although I understand this tuning isn't intended for that given the level of bass). I do like the treble smoothness though. It's the kind of signature that the treble will not get fatiguing.

If you are one of those people that tend to say, so and so sounds bright pretty often, Cascade maybe the one for you given you are not against significant bass. The bass in some tracks like hip-hop has the woofer sound(which is a particular bass characteristic), and yeah, woofer can sound fun(depends on the type of woofer sound of the track, if the Cascade responds well to the particular woofer effect).

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #924 of 2,728
hmmm i have on the way he x v2, i hope i will not be disappointed
No, I don't think you will be disappointed. My affections just happen to be split right now between the Cascade and the Aeon Flo Open. The EX2 is a great headphone to be sure.

Apr 20, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #926 of 2,728
Apr 20, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #927 of 2,728
So just joined the club. Out of the box the bass is very boomy. Pretty well controlled. I'm not a big believer of burn in, but I'm playing them around the clock with the hope that the sound settles down.

Apr 20, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #928 of 2,728
Just posted my review of the Cascade up on the blog I write on - link is below if anyone is interested (as always, any feedback or comments very gratefully accepted):

https://audioprimate.blog/2018/04/20/campfire-audio-cascade-substance-with-style/

TL;DR - I REALLY like these cans...
Nice review. You say you did 200 hours of burn in. That's about 40 days of play at 5 hours per day. Did you really do this? I'm asking because they are really boomy out of the box for me, and I'm skeptical about burn in, especially large quoted times like 200 hours. Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at you. I liked your review.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #929 of 2,728
Nice review. You say you did 200 hours of burn in. That's about 40 days of play at 5 hours per day. Did you really do this?

I would offer that the tour pair came to me with 135hrs fro @Wiljen, and after my first night of listening I left them on all night for three nights. That alone provided another 24hrs. I would also esimate solidly, that I listened for 150 hrs in my three+ week audition. If one leaves the critter on every night, that would easily amass 50-60hrs...so yes, I believe he did.

Apr 20, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #930 of 2,728
Nice review. You say you did 200 hours of burn in. That's about 40 days of play at 5 hours per day. Did you really do this? I'm asking because they are really boomy out of the box for me, and I'm skeptical about burn in, especially large quoted times like 200 hours. Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at you. I liked your review.

No offence taken - and yes, I did leave them burning in for about 40+ hours every three days or so. Basically left them on overnight each night, gave then a 1 hr break to top up the charge on my sony A36 or ZX300 and then stick them back on while I was in work. Off for a few hours (charge the ZX300/A36), on for listening then leave on all night again. Rinse and repeat for a few weeks.

Also, I've had these since February, but unfortunately been slammed in work recently, so took me a lot longer than usual to get my thoughts written up.

I have to say I'm not a huge burn in believe myself, but @KB was pretty clear on how many hours he thought this needed, and the ZX300 comes with similar instructions, so was killing two birds with one stone.

Glad you liked the review, anyway! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back