Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Apr 14, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #856 of 2,728
I am getting the Cascade on Monday. The only portable closed I have is the B&W P7, which is superbly built and sounds nice but the mid range is a bit too recessed. It can also be harsh in the treble at times.

I plan on using the Cascade at home too. I’ve been looking for something with some weight to the low end but still refined and crisp sounding. The Cascade seems to fit that profile.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #857 of 2,728
I am getting the Cascade on Monday. The only portable closed I have is the B&W P7, which is superbly built and sounds nice but the mid range is a bit too recessed. It can also be harsh in the treble at times.

I plan on using the Cascade at home too. I’ve been looking for something with some weight to the low end but still refined and crisp sounding. The Cascade seems to fit that profile.
You're in for a treat. But they do need the time to burn in so plan ahead. Once they get to around 150 hours of play they turn into black magic.

Apr 14, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #858 of 2,728
Ahhh, I am sort of burn in skeptic but will keep an open mind. I am just not one of those people who put headphones on a shelf to burn in for like two weeks before listening. I plan on listening that first day and if it is supposed to improve over time, all the better.

Apr 14, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #859 of 2,728
Ahhh, I am sort of burn in skeptic but will keep an open mind. I am just not one of those people who put headphones on a shelf to burn in for like two weeks before listening. I plan on listening that first day and if it is supposed to improve over time, all the better.
By all means listen on day one but these really hit a sweet spot later on and may slightly change your stance on burn in. If you remember to leave them on overnight; all the better. But im with you...headphones not shelfphones.

Apr 14, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #860 of 2,728
Hi , once again i would like to know if the cascade works good with a warm player? If a take the silver cable can i have better performance with my ar-m2 ?
Oriolus and vega are in the same league ? What about oriolus and cascade ?
If someone have the answers i will very appreciate.
Thanks.

Apr 14, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #861 of 2,728
Anyone compare the mojo and the black label ifi micro side by side with the cascade?

I've compared the Mojo with the new xDSD.

Hi , once again i would like to know if the cascade works good with a warm player? If a take the silver cable can i have better performance with my ar-m2 ?
Thanks.

I've used it with a warm system (Audio-gd R2R 7 and Master 9) but I'd probably stick with the stock cable for portable use. You can adjust the balance enough with the filters IMO.

Apr 15, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #862 of 2,728
Apr 15, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #863 of 2,728

Use 4t and 2t filters until you finish burn in. Burn in for this headphone is a must

I am at 40 hours burn in and I simply love it. And use no filters anymore

There is a reason why Ken mentioned burn in of 150 hours. This is the only time I believed in burn in

Apr 15, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #864 of 2,728
I’m pretty impressed by how much they scale with better gear. They are bigger ear pads and a normal headband away from an excellent full-size pair of headphones.

This shocked me as well. I was mostly testing them with portable type gear and threw them on a high end setup and was rather surprised how good they sounded.

Apr 15, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #865 of 2,728
Use 4t and 2t filters until you finish burn in. Burn in for this headphone is a must

There is a reason why Ken mentioned burn in of 150 hours. This is the only time I believed in burn in
In my review i tracked and made notes throughout the burn in process.
It is quite noticeable.

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #866 of 2,728
Took the time to go through all the filters this weekend after @ExpatinJapan 's call to action. Hiby R6--->iBasso PB3 Mockingbird (SE)---stock cable.

To start filter 1T is the darkest sounding filter of the bunch. The top end is very much subdued while the low end is front and center. The strong bass presence bled into the mids leading to less refinement than the other filters but but a benefit to crowded tunes that could use some smoothing over. I found most of the Heavy hitting needle piercing dubstep I listen to paired well with these or compressed tracks.

The 2T cleans up the bass a bit by releasing some of the sub-bass for upper bass/lower mids reducing the bleed and increasing instrument separation. There is also a noticeable increase in clarity and presence in 1k - 5k area that really brightens up the presentation.

The 3T seems to turn back towards the 1T in regards to sub-bass but with a full clean, clear, and crisp bass presentation. The 1k - 5k jump seems slightly recessed for those who prefer a darker sound,

The 4T is very similar to the 3T but the 1k - 5k presences is back making it a brighter sound.

And all natural lessens the bass slightly in comparison to the 3T and 4T but leaves a crystal clear balanced tone between the mids and highs.

My personal choice is 4T. it adds just enough bass without taking anything away. Having five sound signatures to choose from is such a luxury; I can't say enough good things about these headphones.

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #867 of 2,728

Same.
I thought some detail was lost in stock form.( O.C.D audio cues,) Tried the filters and #4 gave me what my brain deemed awesome. If i lost or damaged the #4 I would try and buy them again. Very subtle like filters built into a DAC...subtle but there

Apr 16, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #868 of 2,728
Took the time to go through all the filters this weekend after @ExpatinJapan 's call to action. Hiby R6--->iBasso PB3 Mockingbird (SE)---stock cable.

Hey mate, just wondering if you're keen to share how the Cascades perform out of the Hiby single ended and if you get a big difference by adding the iBasso amp? Already have the Hiby and looking at the Cascades but not sure I wanna go through stacking, but I'll consider it if it means a noticeable upgrade in sound quality.

Apr 16, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #869 of 2,728
Same.
I thought some detail was lost in stock form.( O.C.D audio cues,) Tried the filters and #4 gave me what my brain deemed awesome. If i lost or damaged the #4 I would try and buy them again. Very subtle like filters built into a DAC...subtle but there

That is interesting coming from you. Isn’t it the lower the number (1T for example), the higher the frequency response? Am I backward in thinking that this would give he deeper bass? Me brain is trying to think back and I discerned deeper bass with the 1T, bit did enjoy the 4T too.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I just find it interesting that a bass-lover such as yourself likes the filter with the lowest bass emanating from the headphone. To me that speaks volumes about the bass quality. And, the Cascade is quite the critter. I miss it, having to drink several cups of high-test coffee to “calm my longings.” It doesn’t work very well, and I wander ‘round the house muttering something about mountains and needing to but those mountains...:triportsad:

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #870 of 2,728

I've had the same experience. I've but the Cascades through about... I'd say 50 hours or so of use, and I find the pads are no longer needed. Sound is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back