Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Mar 11, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #586 of 2,737
It says on the pamphlet:

"The lower number value of the acoustic dampener, the higher the level of mid AND low frequency response will be."

If it was just mids, it would have been great, but the fact they add even more bass to an already bassy headphone is an odd decision...

I love bass, but I'm more of a sub-bass guy. I prefer my mid-bass lean and tight. The TH-900 have spoiled me on what I now expect from bass headphones.

Try the #4 filter that should have the least bass and mid response based on their statement

Mar 11, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #587 of 2,737
Try the #4 filter that should have the least bass and mid response based on their statement

It's still more bass than no filter. Looking back, they even state here that the dampeners add more mid and low frequencies compared to the default.

Mar 11, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #588 of 2,737
I'm interested in the Cascade but am worried that the bass might be too much for my taste - can someone compare to Meze 99 Neo to DT-770 80 please? For reference, I think the bass on DT-770 is good but lacks low frequency extension - in fact, I could do with a little more bass - and the Neo's bass is overpowering, loose, lacks low frequency extension.

Mar 11, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #589 of 2,737
Hi, I'm looking at getting these. Does the 4.4 termination cable comes with the purchase or need to buy from CA?

Pradeep
The standard cable that comes with the Cascade is a 3.5mm litz cable. The SXC 8 with 4.4mm termination is an extra cost option.

Mar 11, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #590 of 2,737
Forgot to mention,

The burn in on the Cascade is HUGE, so please connect them to any source and play them at normal listening volume and run them for 3 days straight. They really open up after about 72 - 200 hours+ Right out of the box they sound good but improve a lot after burn in.

Thanks

Ken

Just wanted to bump this post from earlier and was curious how many hours everyone has on the Cascade so far?

I had a listen to them on the first day and they sounded good. Two days later had another listen and it almost sounded like the bass increased and the mids began sounding quite thick as well which was concerning (this was just yesterday). I'm going to continue burning in (not using the filters yet as I want to hear how the default setting sounds fully burned in). I am not getting that Vega sound & feeling yet...

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #591 of 2,737
3FFCE55B-9A4E-43CC-864D-972F3FF29592.jpeg FE86666C-42E7-443D-A4A0-9A7D080276D6.png My head is around 58-59cm in circumference horizontally.

Over the top from the top of each ear to the other around 28/29cm.

Of course heads are often more oval in shape - bit hopefully this gives an idea of fit.

*Ken Ball mentioned that they are thinking and/or developing a larger headband.

CF4AAE4D-8F56-4915-B3F2-FC5218E13907.jpeg
Caleb of CA

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #592 of 2,737
10082568.jpg

I think the filter values are relative to one another.
I think the #4 reduces bass a tad. If the non filter config is allowing unfettered air flow...which it is... and the filters on micron hole level of various sizes are limiting that flow..I think the #1-4 values are described in relation to one another not in addition to un filtered

Beyer C.O.P. and Senn 630VB are 2 sets with airflow control that relate to back of driver/cup area... and adjusts that allowed more air = more bass

Mar 12, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #593 of 2,737
I think this might be one of those headphones that need a severe amount of burn in, lol. Sounding better today.

Mar 12, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #594 of 2,737
Friend of mine was nice enough to let me borrow these while he’s out of town; saved me from an impulse buy. Ken did a fantastic job in the product design area, very elegant yet stealth. The comfort has been a slight issue from the friend who lent these to me but I find them to be just fine (not the best but not too shabby). Far as sound, it’s been a slight odd experience, at first I felt they were more tuned on the cool side with a revved up left side of the spectrum. After going back and forth there are some tracks I went back to the cascades and really enjoyed what was coming out of them, though some songs it left too much veil in the presentation. I don’t have the filters as I forgot them at my friends house so this is only with a filter-less cascade.

I took these out to the coffee shop to get some work done, the setup was Tidal hifi > Chord Mojo > Cascades and really enjoyed them with the Mojo a lot. I didn’t mind the stock tuning and the Mojo really helped enjoy the cascades that much more. I listened to mostly bass guitar heavy metal, some old school funk and edm, 80-90s hip hop, acoustic live (might not be for everyone if you like live music) and some chamber music; created a playlist just for the cascades. I don’t have much experience with IEMs as the seal/pressure doesn’t take well to my left eardrum so I can’t compare to their Vegas. Subjectively speaking, I will be picking a pair up as my new travel/co-working/coffee shop headphone with the Mojo. A nice all day tuned headphone.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #596 of 2,737
4B6253DF-0222-4D0A-BDAA-A8D3D5864C6C.jpeg

Reaching over 225 hours now.

After about 200+ hours the bass suddenly drastically tamed (more so than at 150 hours), and was less boomy than earlier, more controlled and the decay was much faster. Still ample enough bass, but not the defining feature as at first listen. Refined.

Using the upgrade cable, but I did first test it at about 150 hours with the upgrade cable and took some notes and then put it on the burn in.

Going to go back to the stock cable tomorrow and recheck my findings.

200+ certainly seems to find the sweet spot.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #598 of 2,737

After about 200+ hours the bass suddenly drastically tamed (more so than at 150 hours), and was less boomy than earlier, more controlled and the decay was much faster. Still ample enough bass, but not the defining feature as at first listen. Refined.

Using the upgrade cable, but I did first test it at about 150 hours with the upgrade cable and took some notes and then put it on the burn in.

This is in line with my experience. Like WM1Z/A, Campfire should state this clearly in the User's Manual. It requires at least 200 hours burn in. More preferably, "Please do not judge the sound signature before 200 hours burn in process."

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #599 of 2,737
Friend of mine was nice enough to let me borrow these while he’s out of town; saved me from an impulse buy. Ken did a fantastic job in the product design area, very elegant yet stealth. The comfort has been a slight issue from the friend who lent these to me but I find them to be just fine (not the best but not too shabby). Far as sound, it’s been a slight odd experience, at first I felt they were more tuned on the cool side with a revved up left side of the spectrum. After going back and forth there are some tracks I went back to the cascades and really enjoyed what was coming out of them, though some songs it left too much veil in the presentation. I don’t have the filters as I forgot them at my friends house so this is only with a filter-less cascade.

I took these out to the coffee shop to get some work done, the setup was Tidal hifi > Chord Mojo > Cascades and really enjoyed them with the Mojo a lot. I didn’t mind the stock tuning and the Mojo really helped enjoy the cascades that much more. I listened to mostly bass guitar heavy metal, some old school funk and edm, 80-90s hip hop, acoustic live (might not be for everyone if you like live music) and some chamber music; created a playlist just for the cascades. I don’t have much experience with IEMs as the seal/pressure doesn’t take well to my left eardrum so I can’t compare to their Vegas. Subjectively speaking, I will be picking a pair up as my new travel/co-working/coffee shop headphone with the Mojo. A nice all day tuned headphone.

Do you know how many hours were on the cascade ? I'm looking at picking one of these up for office use.

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #600 of 2,737

The pair I have came to me with 133hrs. I have put approximately 20 hours on, and I will be honest...the bass does seem to be of less boomy, but it also might be brain burn in as some profess. I have become used to the critter, and do rather enjoy them. They are quite good. I will be over 200hrs by the weekend, though (time will afford me long listens...).

Running through my Opus#2, is a very good matchup, complimenting each other nicely. I’m not sure I would call this end-game anything as some have here (unless you are extremely happy with them, then congrats!), but rather an excellent first endeavor into the world of headphones. One in which I very much look forward to seeing fruit further. This is an excellent attempt, indeed. And I mean that in the most respectful way.

This certainly makes me revel in and respect my Jupiter’s more, as the “forerunner” to what @KB and CO are pursuing. Well done.

And, @ExpatinJapan, you look surprising like Tom Hanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back