Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Mar 2, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #481 of 2,737
So quick question to the owners of the Cascade, so is it truly worth getting the upgrade cable? Does it do a massive difference? I know upgrading the cable on my new Primacy made a big difference but damn, that upgradr cable for the Cascade is very nice but I could buy myself a Massdrop plus or a Isine 10 with that money....
I'm very happy with ALO SXC 8 cable (balanced with 4.4mm Penticonn). Perfect match with WM1Z. It's really worth upgrading to my ears.
BTW, as Ken said, it is extremely important to give 150+ hours burn in. I was a bit skeptical about it. But the magnitude of sound difference is tremendous. Bass is now fast and tight without overwhelming. Truly amazing sound. Do not judge Cascade without burning them in.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #482 of 2,737
So quick question to the owners of the Cascade, so is it truly worth getting the upgrade cable? Does it do a massive difference? I know upgrading the cable on my new Primacy made a big difference but damn, that upgradr cable for the Cascade is very nice but I could buy myself a Massdrop plus or a Isine 10 with that money....

I think it is a good upgrade. Cable quality is also fantastic

Mar 3, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #483 of 2,737
20180303_022426_edited.jpeg

Loving the pairing of the Cascade fully balanced with the ALO RX MK3B and the Cayin N5 MK II, have to say this balanced portable set up is a serious dream come true! Props to both @KB and ALO/Campfire Audio and @Andykong with Cayin, I've owned a custom modfied Audio Technica ES10 for years now. And I love it with my Head Amp Pico power and HM901, but that set up is really a relic of the past. While it sounds amazing, it's not too functional, I can't really carry it around because the Digital/Analog line out of my HM901 is soo fragile, and the UI is so exhausting to navigate

I'm currently setting up my laptop with WIndows 10 for tommorow's meet here in TN, and my experience has been just phenomenal! Amazing clarity from the N5 MK II paired with a resolving/engaging presentation from both the ALO AMP & Campefire Audio Headphone!

In watching the interview with Ken today from CanJam NY 2018, he mentioned that their team really wanted to create a headphone that connected to the emotion of the music! An I can say, that while my heavily custom ES10 and HeadAMp pico power aren't the best match with many Modern DAPS, the Cayin N5 MK II and Cascade are phenomenal! Cascades emotional and charming presentation pairs prefectly with Cayin's clean linear output I highly recommend any one looking to drive this unit portable to pick an an X5 and a balanced amp OR cable if you can! This headphone really opens up nicely with balanced amps as @KB himself has also experienced

An as some one who owns a LOT of balanced portables of both the stock and heavily modified variety, this set up is really quite eye opening! I've been looking for headphone/Dap config with the same level of sound I'm used to without all the frustration an limitations of using such an Old player with such a heavily modded headphone, and I'm fairly confident this might be my next portable reference system!!

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #484 of 2,737

Loving the pairing of the Cascade fully balanced with the ALO RX MK3B and the Cayin N5 MK II, have to say this balanced portable set up is a serious dream come true! Props to both @KB and ALO/Campfire Audio and @Andykong with Cayin, I've owned a custom modfied Audio Technica ES10 for years now. And I love it with my Head Amp Pico power and HM901, but that set up is really a relic of the past. While it sounds amazing, it's not too functional, I can't really carry it around because the Digital/Analog line out of my HM901 is soo fragile, and the UI is so exhausting to navigate

I'm currently setting up my laptop with WIndows 10 for tommorow's meet here in TN, and my experience has been just phenomenal! Amazing clarity from the N5 MK II paired with a resolving/engaging presentation from both the ALO AMP & Campefire Audio Headphone!

In watching the interview with Ken today from CanJam NY 2018, he mentioned that their team really wanted to create a headphone that connected to the emotion of the music! An I can say, that while my heavily custom ES10 and HeadAMp pico power aren't the best match with many Modern DAPS, the Cayin N5 MK II and Cascade are phenomenal! Cascades emotional and charming presentation pairs prefectly with Cayin's clean linear output I highly recommend any one looking to drive this unit portable to pick an an X5 and a balanced amp OR cable if you can! This headphone really opens up nicely with balanced amps as @KB himself has also experienced

An as some one who owns a LOT of balanced portables of both the stock and heavily modified variety, this set up is really quite eye opening! I've been looking for headphone/Dap config with the same level of sound I'm used to without all the frustration an limitations of using such an Old player with such a heavily modded headphone, and I'm fairly confident this might be my next portable reference system!!
Interesting pairing, the HM901 and Pico Power; have them both and agree with the HM901 being a relic (the line-out connection is hit or miss). The Pico Power is great. I listened to the Cascade w/a Pico Power/AK120II rig and it's a great combo.

Mar 3, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #485 of 2,737
I did it..

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #487 of 2,737
I'll provide some more when they arrive.

Mar 4, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #488 of 2,737

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #489 of 2,737
I'll provide some more when they arrive.
Some people post their opinions without actually auditioning the product - why do you have to be special?! :wink:

Mar 5, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #491 of 2,737
Some people post their opinions without actually auditioning the product - why do you have to be special?! :wink:
I prefer to wait a few weeks before commenting, just to be sure I'm hearing what I'm hearing.

Mar 5, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #492 of 2,737
20180303_132710.jpg
20180303_113351.jpg
20180303_132928.jpg
20180303_144234.jpg
20180304_172121.jpg
20180303_083804.jpg

Some cascade action from the last 2 meets I attended.

Long story short people really dig it! I'll be sad to see it go but @Wiljen myself & @drbluenewmexico are still taking sign ups for the US Cascade tour so if you'd like to hear it definitely sign up! This one is a game changer for sure!

As for the cable upgrade, I personally like the Cascade off balanced amps. So as @KB and his team move forward hopefully we will see a 4pin xlr or 2.5mm cable from them in addition to the 4.4mm balanced they have now!

And @DanDorn I'm surprised to hear that! I actually have a moon audio black dragon adapter just 4 my hm901s ... its a nice step up for line out use

An my issue with that combo is more the dac/dap than the amp, I run my 901 in vintage mode and it's ultimately to much of a good thing with the cascade, as the Hifiman DAP imo sound has always been very analog & natural with big powerful bass,

An while there's a HD filter on the 901 I find it lacks a little resolve. That said, I'm not surprised at how well the Pico does with a more modern linear DAP and such an engaging headphone like the Cascade

Attachments

• 20180303_131847.jpg
    20180303_131847.jpg
    834.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 5, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #493 of 2,737

Long story short people really dig it! I'll be sad to see it go but @Wiljen myself & @drbluenewmexico are still taking sign ups for the US Cascade tour so if you'd like to hear it definitely sign up! This one is a game changer for sure!

As for the cable upgrade, I personally like the Cascade off balanced amps. So as @KB and his team move forward hopefully we will see a 4pin xlr or 2.5mm cable from them in addition to the 4.4mm balanced they have now!

And @DanDorn I'm surprised to hear that! I actually have a moon audio black dragon adapter just 4 my hm901s ... its a nice step up for line out use

An my issue with that combo is more the dac/dap than the amp, I run my 901 in vintage mode and it's ultimately to much of a good thing with the cascade, as the Hifiman DAP imo sound has always been very analog & natural with big powerful bass,

An while there's a HD filter on the 901 I find it lacks a little resolve. That said, I'm not surprised at how well the Pico does with a more modern linear DAP and such an engaging headphone like the Cascade

By the way, I wave the same BD adapter cable you mention for the HM901. The main problem I have with it is that the connection to the player is very tenuous; it disconnects at the slightest movement.

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #494 of 2,737

What cable is that with the cascade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back