Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Mar 1, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #451 of 2,737
...still waiting (im)patiently for a comparison to Sony Z7... :thinking:

Mar 1, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #452 of 2,737
Initial impressions straight out of the box <30 minutes - the bass is very impressive. Not crazy overpowering but wow. Very detailed and textured. These are smoooth and very musical! I want to say it feels like an intermediate in terms of sound sig between the aeon opens and emu teaks. Currently going through a little burn in :)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #453 of 2,737
10077671.jpg

Mar 1, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #456 of 2,737
...still waiting (im)patiently for a comparison to Sony Z7... :thinking:

No Z7, but got a Z1R. Will be ordering the Cascade real soon, so I can make a comparison if the Sony's are not very different.

Mar 1, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #457 of 2,737
No Z7, but got a Z1R. Will be ordering the Cascade real soon, so I can make a comparison if the Sony's are not very different.
I believe the Z7 is bassier, so closer to the Cascade...
Having said that - I would still appreciate your comparison (and will keep hoping for a Z7 comparison...) :wink:

Mar 1, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #458 of 2,737
I did a 30 min vid and was man handling it pretty good and no sounds then or at anytime. Take a vid of it and send it to ken. Build quality is top notch so gotta be an anomaly
Yeah i watched the vid! Yeah my headphones are making a bunch of clanky noises when moving the earcups back and forth. Like the components inside the headband are shifting or moving around

Mar 1, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #459 of 2,737
Yeah i watched the vid! Yeah my headphones are making a bunch of clanky noises when moving the earcups back and forth. Like the components inside the headband are shifting or moving around

If nobody else is getting that, I'm not, send Ken a PM. Campfire Audio has a big quality image so it has to be a unit specific thing.

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #460 of 2,737
Just a quick update - 8 hours of burn in with pink noise, otherwise brand new.

Just listened to male / female vocals (Seal - Seal US version) and (Basia - Time and Tide) thru tidal on my mac, no dac/amp.

Wow. I love how the vocals are so present, smooth and big. I've always liked Basia, but she can be somewhat harsh on other HPs. On the Cascades her voice is just beautiful, front and center, without a hint of harshness. Seal's "A Kiss From a Rose" is right in the sweet spot of upper bass and mids. The most fun listen I've had in a long time.

I can't wait to see what 3-4 days of burn in do, and adding the mojo into the mix...

Mar 2, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #461 of 2,737
Demoed these and the bass is a little too big and not the right texture for what I'm looking for. I'm going with the Aether Flow.
FWIW, the retail owner said he rated the Cascade at the same level as the AetherFC.

Mar 2, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #462 of 2,737
The filter pads do made a difference to the sound as well, so worth trying out if you demo these cans. I'm a fan of the unfiltered signature, but I'm finding filter 4 just tips the overall sound into my personal sweet spot a little more. Great sounding set of cans.

Mar 2, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #463 of 2,737

Unfortunately I seem to be experiencing a similar issue. Just on one side. I rotate the right cup and it's perfectly smooth, no noise whatsoever. The left and there's this intermittent clank. Not always, but when held in my hands at a certain position and rotated, it's pretty easily replicated. And if the left cup moves slightly when walking, the clanking sound, while infrequent, is enough to be distracting. I think I'll return them to the dealer for a look, loathe as I am to part with them - I'm enjoying the sound that much.

Mar 2, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #464 of 2,737
I know it hard to compare as you don't have the P9, but detail retrieval and overall clarity in the mids, is the Cascade a good step up from what you remember? :)
I definitely think so. I just remember everything taking a back seat to the low frequencies in the case of the P9. The mids in the Cascade are stellar.

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #465 of 2,737
If nobody else is getting that, I'm not, send Ken a PM. Campfire Audio has a big quality image so it has to be a unit specific thing.
I noticed in your video that you never have the head band sliding adjustments pulled out, when I pull mine out they have some looseness and make some noise when flexed, sounds like the same issue as BuddhaBruce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back