Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Feb 22, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #376 of 2,727
I'm considering buying a wool cover for the headband, similar to this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wool-Headp...726477?hash=item33b1b477cd:g:lMAAAOSw5cNYLwPw

Any recommendations? Any other ideas I should be pursuing?

Painful? Hotness? How big's your head? Please elaborate.

After reading some more about the Cascade I started wondering about such. I've got a big noggin. Not Gunness book or anything, but 61.5cm. And according to my daughter, my ears are 3in tall.

My soul container may not be suited.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #377 of 2,727
Painful? Hotness? How big's your head? Please elaborate.

After reading some more about the Cascade I started wondering about such. I've got a big noggin. Not Gunness book or anything, but 61.5cm. And according to my daughter, my ears are 3in tall.

My soul container may not be suited.
Haha! It's purely for the selfish reason of not getting any pomade on the headband. The headband sits on top of my head and the clamping force is moderate. No comfort issues at all on my end.

Not sure about the dimensions of my head, but I'm 6ft 2in tall with a moderately sized head for the height, and the pads fit mine.

Feb 22, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #378 of 2,727
How do these compare to something like the Mrspeakers Aeon Open and Audeze LCD2C? Do the Cascade scale well with a amp? Please give impressions after a good burn in period. I am considering these as they are portable but i'll only get them if they can put on a fight and if the sound i'll be getting is worth it. I don't own the LCD2C and Aeon Open but they are the other headphones i'm considering. I'll be using a Fiio Q5 for portable and when at home i'll be using the Q5 as a dac with my Elemental Watson as a amp : )

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #379 of 2,727
How do these compare to something like the Mrspeakers Aeon Open and Audeze LCD2C? Do the Cascade scale well with a amp? Please give impressions after a good burn in period. I am considering these as they are portable but i'll only get them if they can put on a fight and if the sound i'll be getting is worth it. I don't own the LCD2C and Aeon Open but they are the other headphones i'm considering. I'll be using a Fiio Q5 for portable and when at home i'll be using the Q5 as a dac with my Elemental Watson as a amp : )

The Cascade and the Audeze LCD2C are kind of similar in sound quality but the sound signature is different. The LCD2C have less bass and less highs, so you would find the cascade with more bass and clearer highs. Another big difference is that the cascade are very easy to drive and the LCD2C are not. Comfort wise the LCD2C are more comfortable but also are huge and not portable. I think it's hard to factually determine one as better than the other because they are very different and are made for different use cases. Well the only point where I'm sure the Cascade are superior is in the cable, the Cascade have a very nice cable. But in sound quality overall both are kind of similar, I think at the end depends in what you want/like.

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #380 of 2,727
20180223_112957_001[1].jpg

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #381 of 2,727
The Cascade and the Audeze LCD2C are kind of similar in sound quality but the sound signature is different. The LCD2C have less bass and less highs, so you would find the cascade with more bass and clearer highs. Another big difference is that the cascade are very easy to drive and the LCD2C are not. Comfort wise the LCD2C are more comfortable but also are huge and not portable. I think it's hard to factually determine one as better than the other because they are very different and are made for different use cases. Well the only point where I'm sure the Cascade are superior is in the cable, the Cascade have a very nice cable. But in sound quality overall both are kind of similar, I think at the end depends in what you want/like.
Well now you have seriously got my attention, how about soundstage and instrument separation and detail retrieval, I was seriously considering the LCD2C but if it is similar I may as well just go for the Cascade, I have small to average ears so earpads should be no issue :).

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #382 of 2,727
How do the mids of the two headphones compare?

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #383 of 2,727
Can anyone compare the Cascade to the Audioquest NightOwl?

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #384 of 2,727
Well now you have seriously got my attention, how about soundstage and instrument separation and detail retrieval, I was seriously considering the LCD2C but if it is similar I may as well just go for the Cascade, I have small to average ears so earpads should be no issue :).
Soundstage is better in the LCDs, detail and instrument separation are better in the cascade.

How do the mids of the two headphones compare?
Low mids are recessed in the cascade but high mids are pretty good. Overall the LCD2C feel flat and the cascade have emphasis in the lows and highs with low mids recessed. Female voices sound better in the cascade, and male voices sound better in the LCD2C.

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #385 of 2,727
Disagree

Good meaty sounding chunk of guitar fundamental region is in early mids and most of the singers I listen to....Gordon Lightfoot ....today and lots of rock singers are at times in Gordo's range and he is not in the back at all. He is forward a tad.
My ref IEM are the EX1000 and those are stable from 30Hz to 2Khz ( ideal balanced bass to mid and mid to treble transition).

If the chart were God..and thank God they are not, the early mids would appear elevated due to a bass that is still coming down. That would back up why the guitars to many, so far, that have piped in have echoed my thought that they are thick and resonating, decay is great. These are actually totally awesome for Electric guitar and if they had scooped early mids that would not be possible.

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #386 of 2,727
Disagree

Good meaty sounding chunk of guitar fundamental region is in early mids and most of the singers I listen to....Gordon Lightfoot ....today and lots of rock singers are at times in Gordo's range and he is not in the back at all. He is forward a tad.
My ref IEM are the EX1000 and those are stable from 30Hz to 2Khz ( ideal balanced bass to mid and mid to treble transition).

If the chart were God..and thank God they are not, the early mids would appear elevated due to a bass that is still coming down. That would back up why the guitars to many, so far, that have piped in have echoed my thought that they are thick and resonating, decay is great. These are actually totally awesome for Electric guitar and if they had scooped early mids that would not be possible.

You are right, that Gordon Lightfoot sounds pretty good on the cascade, better than in the LCD2C, but Andrea Bocelli sounds better on the LCD2C. I also found the guitars sounding good, but I still feel there's something missing in the Cascade midrange, maybe it's just an effect of the emphasized bass.

Feb 23, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #389 of 2,727
I've been using the #2 filter and really liking what it does for reducing just a bit of that mid-bass hump - the #1 was a bit more colored than I wanted and the #2 seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #390 of 2,727
You have quite a nice selection of headphones.

Would you mind ranking them in order of overall personal enjoyment, so I can get an idea of where the Cascade falls in your list of personal favorites.

Thanks.
Hey, sorry for the delay in responding. Actually, in response to your question, I went back to my profile and arranged my headpnones in order of preference (as we all know, this list is not carved in stone, hana). The only one I might consider moving a notch up is the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. I've always considered that to be the best headpone value for the price and one of the most underappreciated. On the planar magnetic front, the Hifiman Edition X is my number one, though it's a little picky about DACs. The Cascade are now up there for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back