Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Feb 25, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #406 of 2,728
When you go back, could you please do a comparison with the Aeon :)

I'll try, however I'm much more interested in testing the comfort of the Cascade again. I personally prefer bass and shy away from too much treble. I only really listen for enjoyment rather than delving into in-depth comparisons but I can tell you that when I went from the Cascade to the Aeon the bass disappeared and there was way too much treble for me. The Cascade is spot on based on what I prefer.

Feb 25, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #407 of 2,728
Well at long last, I have my full review posted here.

I am thoroughly impressed with the Cascade, it is hard to imagine this is a rookie effort for Campfire. Many seasoned companies have made much lesser products so if this is an indication of what to expect as the over-ear line grows, I expect amazing things in the next releases.

Feb 25, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #408 of 2,728
Well at long last, I have my full review posted here.

I am thoroughly impressed with the Cascade, it is hard to imagine this is a rookie effort for Campfire. Many seasoned companies have made much lesser products so if this is an indication of what to expect as the over-ear line grows, I expect amazing things in the next releases.

Great review. I learned some new stuff. You say in there that you have a large head but no fit issue w/ the Cascade. My head's Rushmore-ready, so I'm interested to know just how big your cranium is for comparison. Apologies for the imposition, but could you please measure? I'm serious. Cranial circumference, i.e. all the way around your head, middle of the forehead. If you don't have a measuring tape, use string then measure the string. Not loose, but not pulled snug/tight. I'm in the 61.5-62cm bracket.

Thank you very, very much if you actually do this. It would provide a lot more context to your review's discussion of fit/ergos.

Feb 25, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #409 of 2,728
Great review. I learned some new stuff. You say in there that you have a large head but no fit issue w/ the Cascade. My head's Rushmore-ready, so I'm interested to know just how big your cranium is for comparison. Apologies for the imposition, but could you please measure? I'm serious. Cranial circumference, i.e. all the way around your head, middle of the forehead. If you don't have a measuring tape, use string then measure the string. Not loose, but not pulled snug/tight. I'm in the 61.5-62cm bracket.

Thank you very, very much if you actually do this. It would provide a lot more context to your review's discussion of fit/ergos.

I wear an 8 1/4 Stetson if that helps. I can get a tape measure out when I get home and add more.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #410 of 2,728
I wear and 8 1/4 Stetson if that helps. I can get a tape measure out when I get home and add more.

So you're a hat man. I have a friend who's a fanatic for Rand hats. He gets them custom fitted, name embossed inside the brim, etc. .... cost him 6-8 hundred each. I think he has at least a dozen of them. I tell him I'm thinking about buying a $1000 pair of headphones soon, his eyes bug out LOL.

Please check/measure later. I know it's a hassle, but it'll tell me a lot. Thanks.

Feb 25, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #411 of 2,728
So you're a hat man. I have a friend who's a fanatic for Rand hats. He gets them custom fitted, name embossed inside the brim, etc. .... cost him 6-8 hundred each. I think he has at least a dozen of them. I tell him I'm thinking about buying a $1000 pair of headphones soon, his eyes bug out LOL.

Please check/measure later. I know it's a hassle, but it'll tell me a lot. Thanks.

Per the wife, 63.3 cm. So I indeed do have an oversized noggin!

Feb 26, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #413 of 2,728
I just bought the Cascade and I'm really happy with it.

It's pretty energetic with lots of bass and full of exciting overtones, so my mind tells me that this should sound "wrong", but somehow my heart says it's great.
In particular the focus and imaging is very consistent for this kind of headphones, and really feels strong all the way through, without feeling peaky or lumpy at certain frequencies.

I do have a few of comments
  • It sounds particularly amazing on solo instrument music like a piano solo, but overwhelming for recordings that already have ample acoustics (e.g. live classical, opera). I hope it tames down over time.
  • I found it very responsive to the listening volume levels compared to most other headphones I know. It sounds fine at quiet to moderate levels but do tend to become overly "live" when you crank it up, e.g. if you intend to use this outside in a loud environment.
  • I still haven't decided on what filter to use. Initially I liked the T4 filter to tame the splashiness. After 50 hours or so, I found it suffocating on the treble so moved to T1, which feels slightly too wild. I guess my taste will changer over time.
  • If you have some HD800 cables then it's worth experimenting. I found the stock Cascade cable great but does have a bit of a character, so some of the minor issues may be resolved by using other cables. I really want to try the higher grade ALO HD800 cables on the Cascade, but they are bit too expensive for me.
039.jpg

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #414 of 2,728
Can anyone compare the Cascade to the B&W P9?

P9 has some bass emphasis as well but in a good powerful way. Maybe the Cascade signature is of the same musical power sculpturing.

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #415 of 2,728
I'm a fan of the B&W house sound and have the p5 and p7. Unfortunately, I don't have the P9 to compare. The Cascade has more detail than either of the B&W products I have.

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #417 of 2,728
Tried these out for well over an hour today in my local headphone store with a variety of music. Thoroughly enjoyed them. The sound signature suits my tastes though so ymmv.

Only gripe is that I had to extend the sliders fully and it only just fit my head, and I don't think my head is overly large. Clamp was also on the tight side for me, but not too bad thanks to the amazingly comfortable pads. I tried on a set of Aeon Closed and it felt like I put a pillow on each ear comfort wise compared to the Cascade. Are other users finding that the clamping force lessens over time? Just a little bit less would be great for me. Maybe the clamp is higher with the sliders fully extended.

All in all they were exactly what I thought they would be and I would have immediately pulled the trigger if the comfort had been slightly better for me. Heading back next week for round 2.

Hey Tompaz909,

The inside headband on the Cascade is a spring steel plate (band) that provides the clamp force. If the clamping force is too tight you can easily adjust this spring steel simply by carefully bending the headband at at the top apex to make it looser. Start slowly but bending the headband and it will re mold the spring steel band which is inside the headband. This will lessen the clamping force, and alternatively you can also you increase the clamp force by bending it the other way.

For people with enormous melons, I am working on making a longer slider. I or your can then easily replace the stock slider with this longer one. Please stand by for that part to be made.

Hope this helps.

Thank you!

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 26, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #419 of 2,728
Anyone with these yet who's also used the Ultrasone Signature DJ?

Speaking of Ultrasone :smiling_imp:@KB any idea of what replacement pads will cost?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #420 of 2,728
Anyone with these yet who's also used the Ultrasone Signature DJ?

Speaking of Ultrasone :smiling_imp:@KB any idea of what replacement pads will cost?

I had that set but treble was not for me. That metal baffle plate had some odd effects. I love this set over those in treble and bass to mids transition which is great on these. I think meath guitar solos shine on these because of that area

Users who are viewing this thread

Back