Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Jan 2, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #2,071 of 2,728
They need at least 200 hours of break-in.

Thanks, they’ve been burning in with pink noise.

Do you have any humming noise with these?

Theyre my only cans that make a humming noise from my tube amp and are especially noisy when I use them plugged into my Nintendo Switch and TV input.

Jan 2, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #2,072 of 2,728

Theyre my only cans that make a humming noise from my tube amp and are especially noisy when I use them plugged into my Nintendo Switch and TV input.

That's normal in general for Campfire products, they're all quite sensitive!

Our IEMatch would solve that if you aren't using a 4.4 input since we only have it in 2.5 and 3.5 at moment.

Jan 2, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #2,073 of 2,728
That's normal in general for Campfire products, they're all quite sensitive!

Our IEMatch would solve that if you aren't using a 4.4 input since we only have it in 2.5 and 3.5 at moment.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Im still on the fence about these.

I love how they look and how they’re truly portable with just my iPhone.
Will let them continue burning in over the weekend and try them out again.
I wonder if there’s normally a restocking fee regardless of how little use it got?

Looking at Aeon 2 Noire before the sale ends....

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #2,074 of 2,728
Thanks for the quick reply!
Im still on the fence about these.

I love how they look and how they’re truly portable with just my iPhone.
Will let them continue burning in over the weekend and try them out again.
I wonder if there’s normally a restocking fee regardless of how little use it got?

Looking at Aeon 2 Noire before the sale ends....

Did you get your A-Stock or B-Stock? That will be warranty dependant, I'm not sure if CA has a restocking fee ~ I know B-Stock sales are final, however.

I have the (standard) Aeon 2 Closed as well and it's excellent, though requires much more power to get to decent volume.

Glad you're sticking with them for some more time. I'd recommend it and giving it more thought!

Jan 2, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #2,075 of 2,728
Did you get your A-Stock or B-Stock? That will be warranty dependant, I'm not sure if CA has a restocking fee ~ I know B-Stock sales are final, however.

I have the (standard) Aeon 2 Closed as well and it's excellent, though requires much more power to get to decent volume.

Glad you're sticking with them for some more time. I'd recommend it and giving it more thought!

They’re A stock direct from CA.
Got them because of the bundle with the SXC8.

I had the Aeon 2 open but sold them and it’s true that they require a chunk of power to drive them

Looks like the sale for on DCA is ending soon so I may jump on that and return the Cascades if there’s no restock fee.

Jan 2, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #2,076 of 2,728

I've had Cascade for about 6months now, and only ever heard a black background using them with a variety of sources:

-Macbook Pro direct 3.5mm
-iPhone XS with FiiO i1 dongle
-iPhone XS with Apple's lighting dongle
-iPad Air direct 3.5mm
-PS4 DualShock controller
-A&K SR25 3.5mm unbalanced
-Schiit Asgard with 1/4" adapter

Maybe CA can help you out with yours?

Jan 3, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #2,077 of 2,728
I've had Cascade for about 6months now, and only ever heard a black background using them with a variety of sources:

-Macbook Pro direct 3.5mm
-iPhone XS with FiiO i1 dongle
-iPhone XS with Apple's lighting dongle
-iPad Air direct 3.5mm
-PS4 DualShock controller
-A&K SR25 3.5mm unbalanced
-Schiit Asgard with 1/4" adapter

Maybe CA can help you out with yours?

Thank you for your input.

I just tried them again and it seems to be their sensitivity because they’re silent on my iPhone with the dongle and on my ifi Zen Can.

But the amp on my Matrix has a ever so slight hum and it’s notable on my Feliks Euforia which is dead quiet especially for a tube amp.

These may be going back or sold off in a few months.

The fun low emphasis is too boomy and bleeds into the lower mids and smears bass instrument textures.
This is apparent when I listen to jazz fusion with a lot of busy bass lines.
I do enjoy them listening to certain genres like RnB. Something about these rolled off highs is pleasing.

The overall sound reminds me of an IEM which isn’t a bad thing at all but I think planar sub bass may be my goal ultimately.

As purely portable they’re cool because I’m not critically listening OTG but I’d rather have IEMs for travel.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #2,078 of 2,728
Post Office delivers on a Sunday! :thumbsup:

20210103_130641.jpg20210103_131403~2.jpg

Very comfortable. The headband is Huge. You now only get two filters and I will try them later. I also got the 4.4mm optional cable as a freebie. Great for my Sony NW-ZX300. I also ordered a 4.4mm to XLR adapter for my Liquid Platinum amp.
They really are super easy to drive. I am using my Violectric V220 with the DIP switches set to -12Db's.

Enjoying them in my first hour. I have been wanting these since 2018.:smile:

Jan 3, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #2,079 of 2,728
Post Office delivers on a Sunday! :thumbsup:

20210103_130641.jpg20210103_131403~2.jpg

Very comfortable. The headband is Huge. You now only get two filters and I will try them later. I also got the 4.4mm optional cable as a freebie. Great for my Sony NW-ZX300. I also ordered a 4.4mm to XLR adapter for my Liquid Platinum amp.
They really are super easy to drive. I am using my Violectric V220 with the DIP switches set to -12Db's.

Enjoying them in my first hour. I have been wanting these since 2018.:smile:

Glad you are really enjoying them! Did you get them straight from CA with the filters?

Strange, I didn't get any and mine was an A-Stock purchase. Will reach out to them because I'd love to try it with filters on.

Grab the cloth pads too if you haven't, excellent change in comfort and sound in my book!

Jan 3, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #2,080 of 2,728

Glad you are really enjoying them! Did you get them straight from CA with the filters?

Strange, I didn't get any and mine was an A-Stock purchase. Will reach out to them because I'd love to try it with filters on.

Grab the cloth pads too if you haven't, excellent change in comfort and sound in my book!

I bought them from a Canadian dealer.

He is out of cloth pads right now, but I will pick them up when they are back in stock.

I thought all the new ones came with two sets of filters vs the old ones coming with four sets of filters?

Jan 4, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #2,081 of 2,728
These headphones are just a ton of fun! I was using them yesterday with my tube amp and my SS amp. I played rock, pop and jazz. Almost everything sounded so full and fun. I even listened to a bass lovers thread on a different forum from my phone (LG V30). I am not a fan of hip hop or EDM, but some of these tunes just made me giggle.

Today I was on the main amps doing lots more testing. One of my favourite bands is Florence and the Machine. These play fine, but do not sound great with Florence. Went to more rock and everything was rolling.

I ended up plugging these into my DAP (NW-ZX300) and hit the rower, my New Year's resolution. The sound via balanced 4.4mm cable is outstanding! While I like my DAC/amps system, this set-up comes pretty damn close.

Lastly, I took them into the office. My office set-up is Computer to Topping D30 DAC to Liquid Spark amp to Vanatoo Transparent Zero speakers.
I plugged into the Liquid Spark and was blown away. First thing I had to do was to turn down the Windows volume AND the amp volume. Everything in my collection and even on YouTube was just a ton of fun. I was playing some jazz by Nubya Garcia and I never realized how much bass content she has.
I also went back to a bass lovers thread and just bobbed my head for 30-60 minutes. :smile:

The majority of my music sounds really fun with these headphones. When I thought hard about it today, these are the polar opposite of my Grado GH2's.
IMO, The Grado's are awesome for mids and up. And the Cascades are awesome for mids and down. A GREAT combo!:L3000:

It has only been two days, but these are just blowing me away. But that pain on top of the head is no joke. I am afraid to bend the headband too much, but I am getting more aggressive.:ksc75smile:

Jan 4, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #2,082 of 2,728
Duplicate.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #2,083 of 2,728
These headphones are just a ton of fun! I was using them yesterday with my tube amp and my SS amp. I played rock, pop and jazz. Almost everything sounded so full and fun. I even listened to a bass lovers thread on a different forum from my phone (LG V30). I am not a fan of hip hop or EDM, but some of these tunes just made me giggle.

Today I was on the main amps doing lots more testing. One of my favourite bands is Florence and the Machine. These play fine, but do not sound great with Florence. Went to more rock and everything was rolling.

I ended up plugging these into my DAP (NW-ZX300) and hit the rower, my New Year's resolution. The sound via balanced 4.4mm cable is outstanding! While I like my DAC/amps system, this set-up comes pretty damn close.

Lastly, I took them into the office. My office set-up is Computer to Topping D30 DAC to Liquid Spark amp to Vanatoo Transparent Zero speakers.
I plugged into the Liquid Spark and was blown away. First thing I had to do was to turn down the Windows volume AND the amp volume. Everything in my collection and even on YouTube was just a ton of fun. I was playing some jazz by Nubya Garcia and I never realized how much bass content she has.
I also went back to a bass lovers thread and just bobbed my head for 30-60 minutes. :smile:

The majority of my music sounds really fun with these headphones. When I thought hard about it today, these are the polar opposite of my Grado GH2's.
IMO, The Grado's are awesome for mids and up. And the Cascades are awesome for mids and down. A GREAT combo!:L3000:

It has only been two days, but these are just blowing me away. But that pain on top of the head is no joke. I am afraid to bend the headband too much, but I am getting more aggressive.:ksc75smile:

Nice gear and sounds like fun trying out new cans through different combos.

I really wanted to love these cans.
Ironically I’m an electronic lover (80/90s tech/acid/French/deep/ghetto/dark/dungeon/ambient) sorry don’t mean to go on too much I love electronic music and it’s mood/atmospheric presence.

These cans have a small sound stage, dipped mids and lack detail retrieval. The bass while fun lacks texture and bleeds into the mix.

I don’t normally like to dissuade others from purchases or put down any preferences and especially someone like Ken for their hard work but these cans just don’t cut it compared to an LCD2 closed back in my opinion.

Im looking forward to a future iteration as I love CA aesthetics/designs.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #2,084 of 2,728
Nice gear and sounds like fun trying out new cans through different combos.

I really wanted to love these cans.
Ironically I’m an electronic lover (80/90s tech/acid/French/deep/ghetto/dark/dungeon/ambient) sorry don’t mean to go on too much I love electronic music and it’s mood/atmospheric presence.

These cans have a small sound stage, dipped mids and lack detail retrieval. The bass while fun lacks texture and bleeds into the mix.

I don’t normally like to dissuade others from purchases or put down any preferences and especially someone like Ken for their hard work but these cans just don’t cut it compared to an LCD2 closed back in my opinion.

Im looking forward to a future iteration as I love CA aesthetics/designs.

In the last couple of weeks I bought these and LCD-2 Classic's. I love both but I like the Cascades more.

But, to each their own. In the last five years I have bought more than 30 sets of headphones. It took me a Long time to figure out what I liked. To that end, I think the Cascades may be the closed back I have been hunting for.

Jan 4, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #2,085 of 2,728
In the last couple of weeks I bought these and LCD-2 Classic's. I love both but I like the Cascades more.

But, to each their own. In the last five years I have bought more than 30 sets of headphones. It took me a Long time to figure out what I liked. To that end, I think the Cascades may be the closed back I have been hunting for.

Enjoy!
Feels good to find a can that works for you.
I just wish the Audeze were as light as the Cascades but those damn trade offs.... :darthsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back