Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Dec 3, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #1,801 of 2,726
I tried this. Peeled of the white filter and I am very impressed. This makes the Cascade very neutral now. Definitely cuts some of the bass dominance. Appreciate the tip!
Glad you found it helpful. I agree, they're far preferable like this. I was listening last night on my RME ADI-2 dac - beyond being driven easily in portable mode, they scale really really well. Extremely immersive headphones.

Dec 14, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #1,802 of 2,726
This is very tempting. Although I can't spend $800 on this. I have other things to take care of. Someday I won't be broke all the time. You know. From responsibilities.

Don't worry past me. It's cheaper now.

Dec 14, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #1,803 of 2,726
Just got mine today. Burning them in as I type this :)

Paid U$724 in Singapore Dollars - surprisingly they had them in stock - main distributor didn't - even more surprising they were cheaper than in the US.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #1,804 of 2,726
Just got mine today. Burning them in as I type this :)

Paid U$724 in Singapore Dollars - surprisingly they had them in stock - main distributor didn't - even more surprising they were cheaper than in the US.

Congrats and welcome to the club. Pretty good deal I paid significantly more 850 € with two pads. Post your impressions when you're ready.

Dec 22, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #1,807 of 2,726
Is removing white filter reversable? I've allready listed mine for sale so I don't want to do any permanent mods. I'd like to measure these without the white filter.

It's a nice headphone and perhaps the most comfortable closed back headphone I've ever had. I'm quite surprised so many people have comfort issues. Soundstage is also really nice. Bass is just too much...

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #1,808 of 2,726
Is removing white filter reversable? I've allready listed mine for sale so I don't want to do any permanent mods. I'd like to measure these without the white filter.

It's a nice headphone and perhaps the most comfortable closed back headphone I've ever had. I'm quite surprised so many people have comfort issues. Soundstage is also really nice. Bass is just too much...
Yes, it's reversible - the filter is sticky enough to re-apply. Just put them somewhere safe when you experiment. The bass is significantly reduced when you remove the white filters. I find them far more agreeable now. Let me know your impressions.

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #1,809 of 2,726
So I did a little tinkering with the cascades. First I closed the vent holes. I thought I heard some reduction in bass and some change in the soundstage. Changes were quite small and my measurements show only a tiny change so it migh have been my expectation bias that I was hearing.

Then I tried removing the white filter. What a change! Mids and highs are more present now. Midbass is not that much reduced relative to lower midrange but changes in other frequencies kind of achieve the same goal as me and most other people adjust the listening volume more by mids and highs. Unfortunately some subbass extension is lost but it's not a big deal for me. Most of the music I listen to is made with real instruments so there is not that much going for in the lower frequencies anyway.

Besides Cascade I have three other headphones that have beryllium coated drivers, Msur N550, MTV Evos (rebranded RBH HP-2) and Master & Dynamic MW50. Despite different sound signatures they all have common traits that I think are characteriscs of a Be coated driver. Most notable are the fast transitions, leading edges of notes are very distinct resulting in a detailed and clear sound even if the headphones are rather dark or bass heavy. Bass on stock Cascade is just way out there that I really could not hear the beryllium capabilities even though the hints where there. Now without the felt things fall into place. Theres zero veil and more than enough details. Best thing is that it's not because of emhasized treble but more because the amazing imaging capabilities and speed of the driver. Every sound has it's own place in the soundfield so that nothing get's cluttered. Of course bad recordings do no services here but with well recorded stuff listening to these is a bliss. I've been listening to a lot of Dire Straits and all the distant guitars sing beatifully over the scape, synths appear out of nothing, sax has all the emotion and body it should have and even though these are no longer the basscannons they were kick drums have a real kick to them! I just can't help but to marvel the soundstage and layering. It's just that good, not just for a closed headphone but any headphone.

It's not just the technicalities that impress me but the way how these connect me with the music. I actually got goose bumps and even shed a tiny man tear at one point. It's shame how rare that is. It must be mentioned that I wasn't particularly focused and trying to get connected... I was mopping floors.

Needles to say my cascades are no longer for sale. I need to compare these to Fostex TH900 which has been by main headphone lately. I really was not expecting that. I know that Cascades can't touch the bass quality of TH900 but besides that all the bets are off.

Thanks @Nostoi for recommind this mod!

Campfire Audio Cascade.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #1,810 of 2,726
So I did a little tinkering with the cascades. First I closed the vent holes. I thought I heard some reduction in bass and some change in the soundstage. Changes were quite small and my measurements show only a tiny change so it migh have been my expectation bias that I was hearing.

Then I tried removing the white filter. What a change! Mids and highs are more present now. Midbass is not that much reduced relative to lower midrange but changes in other frequencies kind of achieve the same goal as me and most other people adjust the listening volume more by mids and highs. Unfortunately some subbass extension is lost but it's not a big deal for me. Most of the music I listen to is made with real instruments so there is not that much going for in the lower frequencies anyway.

Besides Cascade I have three other headphones that have beryllium coated drivers, Msur N550, MTV Evos (rebranded RBH HP-2) and Master & Dynamic MW50. Despite different sound signatures they all have common traits that I think are characteriscs of a Be coated driver. Most notable are the fast transitions, leading edges of notes are very distinct resulting in a detailed and clear sound even if the headphones are rather dark or bass heavy. Bass on stock Cascade is just way out there that I really could not hear the beryllium capabilities even though the hints where there. Now without the felt things fall into place. Theres zero veil and more than enough details. Best thing is that it's not because of emhasized treble but more because the amazing imaging capabilities and speed of the driver. Every sound has it's own place in the soundfield so that nothing get's cluttered. Of course bad recordings do no services here but with well recorded stuff listening to these is a bliss. I've been listening to a lot of Dire Straits and all the distant guitars sing beatifully over the scape, synths appear out of nothing, sax has all the emotion and body it should have and even though these are no longer the basscannons they were kick drums have a real kick to them! I just can't help but to marvel the soundstage and layering. It's just that good, not just for a closed headphone but any headphone.

It's not just the technicalities that impress me but the way how these connect me with the music. I actually got goose bumps and even shed a tiny man tear at one point. It's shame how rare that is. It must be mentioned that I wasn't particularly focused and trying to get connected... I was mopping floors.

Needles to say my cascades are no longer for sale. I need to compare these to Fostex TH900 which has been by main headphone lately. I really was not expecting that. I know that Cascades can't touch the bass quality of TH900 but besides that all the bets are off.

Wow it’s so cool to see the measurements with out the filter!
Do you think you will try experimenting with the 4 standard filters now that you removed the white?

Dec 23, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #1,811 of 2,726
At some point I will propably try them but supposedly all of them just increase the bass. I'm more interested in the mod that reduces bass by breaking the seal between the cup and earpad. I red that it does not affect the sound leakage but I'm a bit sceptical. I listen loud so more sound I can keep in the better.

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #1,812 of 2,726
At some point I will propably try them but supposedly all of them just increase the bass. I'm more interested in the mod that reduces bass by breaking the seal between the cup and earpad. I red that it does not affect the sound leakage but I'm a bit sceptical. I listen loud so more sound I can keep in the better.
To me They do add some bass, but they also elevate the mids so they don’t always seem like they increase the bass... if that makes sense, I would love to find measure to for them but no one seems to have done it!
You should try the cloth pads, they reduce the bass a lot! I actually don’t like the cloth pads much unless I add a tuning filter.

Dec 24, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #1,813 of 2,726
Where can I buy the cloth pads? I bought these on a whim without doing my research. I"ll try the breaking the seal mod after the holidays an try few of those tuning pads then. That mod reduces bass alone so it might be ideal. Strangely I don't hear this no white filter mod as v-shaped it appears in the measurements. Just by looking at the measurement I think it should have thin mids and too much treble. Well, for whatever the reason that is not how I perceive it and I could not be happier.

Dec 24, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #1,814 of 2,726
Where can I buy the cloth pads? I bought these on a whim without doing my research. I"ll try the breaking the seal mod after the holidays an try few of those tuning pads then. That mod reduces bass alone so it might be ideal. Strangely I don't hear this no white filter mod as v-shaped it appears in the measurements. Just by looking at the measurement I think it should have thin mids and too much treble. Well, for whatever the reason that is not how I perceive it and I could not be happier.
There are measurements for these somewhere in the thread but here’s a store in the EU https://headphonecompany.com/produkt/campfire-audio-cascade-stoff-ohrpolster/

Dec 24, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #1,815 of 2,726

Thanks for the accurate and incisive description - glad you found the mod beneficial!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back