Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Dec 24, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #1,816 of 2,726
Where can I buy the cloth pads? I bought these on a whim without doing my research. I"ll try the breaking the seal mod after the holidays an try few of those tuning pads then. That mod reduces bass alone so it might be ideal. Strangely I don't hear this no white filter mod as v-shaped it appears in the measurements. Just by looking at the measurement I think it should have thin mids and too much treble. Well, for whatever the reason that is not how I perceive it and I could not be happier.
https://campfireaudio.com/shop/casdcade-pads/

Dec 30, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #1,817 of 2,726
At some point I will propably try them but supposedly all of them just increase the bass.
Quit the opposite as far as i know. At least according to the guide that goes with the Cascade itself.
"The lower number value of the aoustic dampener the higher the level of mid and low frequency response will be". For me this means each filter will lessen the lows and increase treble. Number 3 or 4 a bit more then number 1 or 2. And that actually is consistant with my own experience.

Dec 30, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #1,818 of 2,726
Quit the opposite as far as i know. At least according to the guide that goes with the Cascade itself.
"The lower number value of the aoustic dampener the higher the level of mid and low frequency response will be". For me this means each filter will lessen the lows and increase treble. Number 3 or 4 a bit more then number 1 or 2. And that actually is consistant with my own experience.
I would love to see measurements either way, but I haven’t found anyone that did any with the filters

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #1,819 of 2,726
I measured all the filters and it seems it works opposite to what Campfire suggests. It's consistent change between filters so I think Cascade just got it wrong by accident. HD7 is clearly the bassiest one and HD15 is very close to stock unit. Changes are quite small though. Only removing the white filter has major impact. There is of course a room for error because headphones have to be repositioned after changing the filter. But I think it is quite clear that all filters do emphasize the bass compared to not having a filter. Of course it's just a measurement and it might sound different when listened depending on users personal hearing, especially because treble area is so tricky to get right on measurements and it's the area where we all hear so differently.

Cascade Stock VS HD7.jpg
Cascade Stock VS HD10.jpg
Cascade Stock VS HD12.jpg
Cascade Stock VS HD15.jpg
Cascade Stock VS no white filter.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #1,820 of 2,726
I measured all the filters and it seems it works opposite to what Campfire suggests. It's consistent change between filters so I think Cascade just got it wrong by accident. HD7 is clearly the bassiest one and HD15 is very close to stock unit. Changes are quite small though. Only removing the white filter has major impact. There is of course a room for error because headphones have to be repositioned after changing the filter. But I think it is quite clear that all filters do emphasize the bass compared to not having a filter. Of course it's just a measurement and it might sound different when listened depending on users personal hearing, especially because treble area is so tricky to get right on measurements and it's the area where we all hear so differently.

Fantastic! Thank you for doing the measurements!

Jan 4, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #1,821 of 2,726
No problem @Pictograms . My pleasure in fact. I was not expecting the results I've gotten here. Cascades without that stock filter are very clear sounding. By clear I mean lack of veil, transparency could be a fitting term.

TH900 does well for a bassy can, it's out there allmost hd800 level and on par with focal clear and hifiman ananda. Cascades however fill the gap, I think Cascades are the missing link between TH900 and HD800. It's just that good.

I'ts quite crazy considering these are closed back, quite compact form headphones. I will propably blow out any credibility I have out of the window but without hesitation I can say these are the best headphones I have ever heard. (HD800, TH900, Ananda, LCD-3f, Clear, being the references).

To explain my reasoning:

Cascade vs HD800

These don't have the soundstage of HD800, nothing has. However soundstage is excellent for a closed back. Soundstage presentation is bit different. Hd800 is more diffuse and closer and cascades place the listener further back.

HD800 however has no bass worth mentioning. HD800 can barely win out on most things despite differences in tonality. For all the clarity and detail, Cascades are very, very close to HD800. HD800 is still more impressive headphone, unless you listen to music that has any bass. Which is pretty much anything except classical without cello, organ or drums. People who find treble peak on hd800 problematic might have issues with cascades too. Treble peak is not my major problem with hd800. It's the unnatural lightness of the presentation that bugs me more.

Cascade vs Focal Clear

Clears are damn good headphones and tonally more agreeable than cascades. However because of that tiny soundstage it's no comparison. I'm not going to spend over $1000 for a headphone that has no soundstage. Especially for open headphone. This is the main reason I originally went with th900 instead Clear.

Cascade vs Hifiman Ananda

I'm a big fan of Ananda. However it has this thin non visceral bass. Compared to Audeze Hifiman bass is quite non existent. It's there for sure. But it does not have the impact it should have. Cascades have soundstage about as large and the bass is exceptional. I also think cascades are better in bringing out small nyances in music. I think Ananda is step back in that regard from cascades,th900,hd800 and clear.

Cascade VS LCD-3f

I'm quite biased as I think LCD-3f sounds like an ass. On a first listen it't is impressive but on a longer listen it's just a mess that lacks upper midrange and overeall presentation has this weird nasal tone to it.

Cascade VS TH900

This is the most important comparison. Cascades can't match the bass on TH900. Nothing can. Way TH900 does bass is truly special. Not talking about quantity but the grip, the balls, how deep it goes, viscerality. Clean undistorted bass and gobs of it. However Cascades come close, not too close to compare though. Cascades however have a better and more proportioned soundstage and the more exact imaging. With TH900 vocals kind of blur with instruments that function on same frequency. Cascades sound kind of like evolved TH900. And why should not them, there is 10 years between them.

If I could I would tone down the treble a bit and midbass is still bit excessive. Those are my only small complaints with cascades.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #1,824 of 2,726
Wonder why it taking people long to realize how good these are for price or above it price, you can eq down mid-bass to get sub-bass though, I enjoyed them for 1 year. Actually I am selling mine if anyone interested please visit in sale forum !

Jan 22, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #1,830 of 2,726
Does anyone in the UK know where I can find the cloth pads for the Cascade? CA won't ship to UK and the two UK dealers they list on their site don't carry the replacement pads. I found a dealer in Germany selling them for a very high price but, after 2 failed delivery attempts, they refunded me. Seems mad that you can't get these in the UK considering the popularity of the Cascade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back