Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Aug 30, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #1,667 of 2,728
Cascade sounds great on new Tool Album. Wow..:).

There`s a fool in Hawaii which always rewiews headphones with old and bad led zeppelin recordings. Please stop it!!
This is the look, of a boy through the eyes of his parents. There is everywhere new good music, no reason to idealize old opions. :)

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #1,668 of 2,728
To be honest this is hard to believe. Even though I don`t know every CA headphone but for me they sound great especially with the cloth pads. Not to bassy, but still with a meaty and strong low end, no piercing highs. Very enjoyable with electronic music which i really like. They are easy to drive, without taken hiss like some other iems of CA. The Cascade have also the quality to play older recordings very well. I´ve heard a lot of headphones where in particular older recordings could sound very thin. Some of my 80/90`s music sound really good on them.
Also i like the industrial design and this way of understatement. The matt black of the cups looks and feels nice.

I like the look and color of the ear cups too. But the headband could be better. It just look weird when I have it on my head. I like to use it when out and about and people really notice how it looks weird. I am wonder if the cascade cups with the haedband of ATH-M headband could look way better.

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #1,669 of 2,728
@headwhacker
The look and feel of the Casacade is really good, and this quality control should be appropriate for all headphones in this price range. I don`t care about the look of the headband, probably because I don`t wear it outside. But I have to agree with you, that the headband could be better designed. After wearing it for over 1.5 hours, I can feel a hotspot on my head. So I have to move the headphone slightly forward or backwards. Fortunately the sound signature doesn`t changes when moving the Cascade slightly on my head. So I can handle this problem. If my method doesn`t solve the problem, everbody else who has this problem, could consider buying Dekoni nuggets.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #1,670 of 2,728
How do the Cascades compare to the Neumann NDH20 and the Final Audio Sonorous VI?

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #1,671 of 2,728
How do the Cascades compare to the Neumann NDH20 and the Final Audio Sonorous VI?
Can't help you with the NDH20 as I haven't heard it, but IMO the Cascade's blow the Sonorous VI away. The Sonorous had decent, slightly elevated bass. Everything else was just okay compared to other headphones around the same price. Definitely worth the extra money to get the Cascade over them.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #1,673 of 2,728
I think I'm going to be listing my Cascades for sale in the next few days. Thought I'd give a heads up here, in case anyone is interested.

Found something better, or just fancy a change?

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #1,674 of 2,728
Found something better, or just fancy a change?
I'm finding that the sound signature no longer works for me. I'm pretty much using them to watch shows, when I could sell them and use that money for a Dragonfly Cobalt and stuff. Also, I'm keen to own the Moondrop Kanas Pro. With a touch of EQ to calm the upper range, I appreciate their smooth warmth. Will be a less intense experience than my Atlas, which is just wow.

Sep 11, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #1,675 of 2,728
The cascade is currently my only headphone and I'm still looking for an endgame closed back headphone that I can put into a carrying case in my bag to take to work everyday.
Looking to combine with the SP1000M but still haven't found anything that beats Casade so far :)

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #1,676 of 2,728
I think I'm going to be listing my Cascades for sale in the next few days. Thought I'd give a heads up here, in case anyone is interested.

Sorry to hear that. I`m sure that there are better headphones than Cascade.

But I want to ask you if you have heard them with the cloth pads?
For me they are a game changer. I listen to a lot of bass heavy music like techno and with the standard pads (leather), for me it was to much, when listening to my music. The cloth pads reduces this huge midbass and help to bring the bass more in line with the other frequencies. Please don`t get me wrong, even with the cloth pads the bass is prominent. Also Cascade sounds for me a bit more open with c.p.. I prefer a clean and fast bass over a slow or a to thick one. Bass in a headphone for me is very important. When Bass is not sufficient represented, I can`t enjoy this headphone.
On the new Bill Callahan album, it`s a folk album, small instrumentation, most times just a singer with a guitar and additional a bass player. This bass player sounded with the standard pads (leather) really unnatural, just way to prominent. You could get the impression, that this small group plays with two or even more bass players. With the cloth pads it sounded more natural and realistic just better.

Also I want to know, if you tried the acoustic dampeners?
I can promise you, that the sound changes much more between the different pads than between the different a.d.. The sound differences between the different acoustic dampeners are subtle, but between the pads it`s immediatley noticeable.

Fortunately I bought Cascade with both pads and I recognized fast which one works for me better. Maybe it`s worth for you to try the cloth pads.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #1,677 of 2,728
Sorry to hear that. I`m sure that there are better headphones than Cascade.

But I want to ask you if you have heard them with the cloth pads?
For me they are a game changer. I listen to a lot of bass heavy music like techno and with the standard pads (leather), for me it was to much, when listening to my music. The cloth pads reduces this huge midbass and help to bring the bass more in line with the other frequencies. Please don`t get me wrong, even with the cloth pads the bass is prominent. Also Cascade sounds for me a bit more open with c.p.. I prefer a clean and fast bass over a slow or a to thick one. Bass in a headphone for me is very important. When Bass is not sufficient represented, I can`t enjoy this headphone.
On the new Bill Callahan album, it`s a folk album, small instrumentation, most times just a singer with a guitar and additional a bass player. This bass player sounded with the standard pads (leather) really unnatural, just way to prominent. You could get the impression, that this small group plays with two or even more bass players. With the cloth pads it sounded more natural and realistic just better.

Also I want to know, if you tried the acoustic dampeners?
I can promise you, that the sound changes much more between the different pads than between the different a.c.. The sound differences between the different acoustic dampeners are subtle, but between the pads it`s immediatley noticeable.

Fortunately I bought Cascade with both pads and I recognized fast which one works for me better. Maybe it`s worth for you to try the cloth pads.
Yep. Used cloth pads and dampeners. I once loved the leather pads and the bass. The cloth pads cleaned it up and I was surprised at how much I liked that sound over the leather pads.

What I'm finding, however, is that the longer I go the more I have come to dislike the sound. Along with that, I have a large head, but it's more long than round. They have always fit a bit loosely and don't stay in place if I'm laying down. IEMs are just plain better for me. I'd like to go back to trying to sleep with IEMs in, since I haven't been able to do that since my RHA t20.

It may also be a stage in long-term burn in. If that's the case, I'm not interested enough to keep going, as I think I'd rather have the Dragonfly Cobalt for my new Note 10+.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #1,678 of 2,728
Yep. Used cloth pads and dampeners. I once loved the leather pads and the bass. The cloth pads cleaned it up and I was surprised at how much I liked that sound over the leather pads.

... I have a large head, but it's more long than round. They have always fit a bit loosely and don't stay in place if I'm laying down. IEMs are just plain better for me. I'd like to go back to trying to sleep with IEMs in, since I haven't been able to do that since my RHA t20.

It may also be a stage in long-term burn in. If that's the case, I'm not interested enough to keep going, as I think I'd rather have the Dragonfly Cobalt for my new Note 10+.

Yes, I`ve readed that people with big heads could get problems with the comfort. My head is medium size and as i`ve mentioned I have problems with the comfort too. The headband design could be better and for me personally it`s the only drawback of this headphone. But okay, there`s space for improvement.

My pair must be burned in. I have to say that I stopped after 75hrs counting and after that period I can`t hear a significant change. Mr. Ball said us burn in is 75hrs, other people said it`s 150hrs or even more. So I`ve orientated to the one who created this headphone.

Especially when I travel, comfort is for me more important than sound quality, I use iem`s too. I think I really have to compare Atlas or Solaris to Cascade, maybe they are better. There is a price difference between them that`s for sure, but I´m interested in how big the differences are. But at the moment I´m satisfied with the Cascades. Powerful and the same time forgiving.

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #1,679 of 2,728
Yes, I`ve readed that people with big heads could get problems with the comfort. My head is medium size and as i`ve mentioned I have problems with the comfort too. The headband design could be better and for me personally it`s the only drawback of this headphone. But okay, there`s space for improvement.

My pair must be burned in. I have to say that I stopped after 75hrs counting and after that period I can`t hear a significant change. Mr. Ball said us burn in is 75hrs, other people said it`s 150hrs or even more. So I`ve orientated to the one who created this headphone.

Especially when I travel, comfort is for me more important than sound quality, I use iem`s too. I think I really have to compare Atlas or Solaris to Cascade, maybe they are better. There is a price difference between them that`s for sure, but I´m interested in how big the differences are. But at the moment I´m satisfied with the Cascades. Powerful and the same time forgiving.

Cascade are portable enough to replace IEM, no?
As for leather, I agree the leather pads are great. I use leather with T1 filter.

Sep 11, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #1,680 of 2,728
@Spie1904
As for the pads and for the comfort. Re-read my posts. I prefer cloth pads to the standard (leather) ones.
I said that, the limited comfort for me and other owners are a drawback in comparison to iems. Technical this headphone is efficient, they have a sensitivity of 100dB and a driver impedance of 38 ohm. You can power them with a dap or even a phone and from my experience they sounded good from any source.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back