Carolinas 2018 CanFest 6 Impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 54
thanks to army firedog for putting this together. Thanks to schiit for lunch!!!!!! Would like to thank everyone for bringing all the gear for all to enjoy, so nice to b able to see and hear headphones I only can read about. I now have a serious case of amp/can envy, thanks a lot guys!!!!!!!!!! Everyone was so nice, really enjoyed.

Feb 17, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 54
K1000 was phenomenal! Never knew I needed one till now lol,

It was great to hear the 009 out of the Headamp system again as well

An the shp9500 was good too!
As was the HD700 quite liked it with all the mods!!
20180217_143312.jpg 20180217_150019.jpg 20180217_134533.jpg 20180217_124826.jpg

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 54
I had a great time and met some great new friends. (And renewed contacts with a few old ones!) I'd like to thank all the vendors/sellers. I've already made a few purchases that otherwise wouldn't have happened, had I not been availed the opportunity to get a "hands-on" experience. What a great way to find out what's new and promising. Hey, I finally won a set of cans! At one point I thought I heard someone say it was a Superlux (I already have a set of 668b's, I like them lot if you tame the top down just a bit) and at another, I heard someone say this set was "like" a Massdrop of the Beyer 880. (Hoping that's the one! They're another set of 'phones I quite like, but don't own.) I'm looking forward to (maybe, lol...) receiving it.
Thanks to everyone for coming and sharing your knowledge and gear. That's the real prize, anyway. I'm already looking forward to the next meet! Best to everyone. What a gracious and knowledgeable bunch to hang with...

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #5 of 54
For anyone interested here's the YouTube video @Mshenay posted:

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 54
Feb 18, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 54
Thank you again John for putting all of this together! I'll post some pics and some impressions tomorrow :)

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 54
Had a good time getting to meet people and put faces with names, got to listen to some killer stuff, and thoroughly enjoyed the day.

Thanks everyone that came out and made it fun to be there.

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 54
Thanks to everyone for bringing all the great gear to audition. The lunch was highly appreciated and enjoyed. Conversations were very interesting and meeting new people is what makes life fun. Justin's blue anodized preamp and power supply was stunning. I was worn slap out from getting up and down out the chairs, so I spent the rest of the day in bed. Hopefully by next year I will have a powerchair carrier on one of my cars. I did get my share of daily bass on the ride home with Ricks 15" sub in the trunk.

Johnathan- great job.

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #10 of 54
It was great meeting all of you! Some highlights from a "newbie" listener:

Other than the Stax 009s (OMG), the one that I remember most is the Focal Utopia. I swear I remember someone bringing some Clears - I thought it was Mshenay but I don't see it in his gear list right now. (It has me looking at taking a trip to Moon Audio to take an audition of the Clears and Elears in a more quiet area! I'm not quite ready to spend 3600...) Was it Afghan Vet instead? I'm mixing up the tables.

16hz Lover, were you the one who brought the Denons and the AKG K1000s? I wish it had been quieter, but it was memorable!

It was great finally hearing the Audeze series as well! If they weren't so heavy... And I heard my first tube amp - or first 5, I guess! I think I would have been able to tell the difference a lot better in a quieter setting. I think I'm still not catching the nuances in amps yet, but that might be better for my pocketbook.

Thank you all for bringing such incredible equipment! It was wonderful for someone early on my journey to hear.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #11 of 54
It was great meeting all of you! Some highlights from a "newbie" listener:

16hz Lover, were you the one who brought the Denons and the AKG K1000s? I wish it had been quieter, but it was memorable!

No, it wasn't me.

Feb 19, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #12 of 54
Had a great time. Was most impressed with the LCD-3. Super comfortable and sounded amazing.

Really enjoyed getting to test out the rag/yggy vs mjolinor2/Gumby side by side with the hd800s.

Thanks for organizing the event!

Also got to try out some stax set ups. Must say they all sounded beautiful.

Feb 19, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #13 of 54
The K1000's and the Denon's were from Alex, who is fatcat on this forum

Feb 19, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #14 of 54
and MShenay did have the Clears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back