Carolinas 2018 CanFest 6 Impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #32 of 54
Everyone took pictures of the same stuff lol. It really reveals the priorities of the attendees.

I had a good time, and I was surprised about how little I felt like I accomplished in the hours we were there. About halfway done is my estimate. It was fun to chat with @Mshenay , @Army-Firedawg, and spouses during the cleanup too.

As for the gear, I think the best sounding system in the house was the Zana Deux into the Utopias from @Afghan Vet . I was totally blown away by the two or three songs I heard on that system and the pure tactility of the music, which is one of the hardest things to acquire in my opinion. The amount of detail retrieval required to pull it off and the power to not only hear a snare drum, but feel it at close range, is a sensation I normally only expect from speakers.

My second highlight would have to be the headamp table (Thanks for coming all the way from VA to be with us, Justin) in its entirety. Besides the DAC that I didn't recognize, every product on that table was something I had been interested in long before I knew he was coming to the meet. It's easy to praise the 009 and the BHSE because they have a legacy for a reason. However, coming from my own LCD3 system, I was very impressed with the GSX into the LCD4. Enough to start selling some of my gear to pick them up. It's also great to have a face to put with the name and hear about the more technical aspects of the builds.

Lastly, I would put special mention to the AKG K1000, which has been something I've known about since I joined this forum in 2007, but have never seen in person until now. They were everything people say about them. It was like I was being tricked and that I was searching for a pair of speakers 7 feet in front of me that didn't exist. Comparing my LCD3 with Alex's (@fatcat28037) Denons on the WA22 was a delight as well, extra so because the original owner of my LCD3 used a WA22 to power them.

I was surprised at the attention my section was getting, despite no pictures of it. :laughing: I had the only LCD3 present and the Cayin impressed a lot of folks looking for a clean, midfi balanced amp for their systems. Also the Stax 407's proved to some of you that you don't need to reach for the stars to get great sound from a mid range electrostat setup.

Thanks again to all of the people who brought this together and made attending worth the day!

PS. @Wiljen Did we ever find out about the drawings?

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #33 of 54
Still waiting on George to get back from CNY - hope to know something soon.

Feb 23, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #34 of 54
I was going to ask about that as well. I'm sitting on my hands trying not to pull the trigger on a purchase before I get those Superdynamic Beyerluxes I heard about....lol....

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #35 of 54
I promise to let everyone know as soon as I get any further info.

Mar 7, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #36 of 54
Spoke with George today - looks like there is hope for the door prizes yet. Should be on way soon.

Mar 7, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #37 of 54
Coolness! Thank you for your follow through. For me, this year's Canfest was especially enjoyable. It was really nice to hear the gear. Let us know when there's more news.

Mar 7, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #38 of 54
thanks wiljen will be looking forward to my mailbox like a kid at christmas!!!!!!!!!!! thanks again for all your efforts everyone really enjoyed my first meet!!!!!!!

Mar 9, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #39 of 54
Hey guys. I'm writing my review of the Ragnarok and am curious if any of you tried some really hard to power headphones with it? Anything like the LCD-4, AKG-K1000 etc... And if so, how did the Rag perform? Sadly I don't have anything that difficult to drive.

Mar 10, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #40 of 54
I used my LCD-3 with it. I found the Gumby/Mjolnir 2 combination to sound better than the rag/ygg, but I suspect that ygg/mjolnir would have sounded the best. Rag sounded shouty to me in comparison.

Mar 10, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #42 of 54
My only experience was in Concord. Am I interpreting this to mean the Ragnarok was forward in the mid-treble or that it had superlative Macrodynamics? In general, historically that's been more of a function of an amp than a DAC, but the A in the DAC could be "forward" as well I suppose.
In traditional High Fidelity (especially in early tube days) It'd often of be an impedance issue between two products directly connected in a pure analog stream. I'd thought most of that had been nulled out in preceding decades. I've been positively impressed with the Schitt products I've tried out thus far, but I've not pulled the trigger on anybody's home gear/desktop outboard stand-alone DAC yet (with respect to personal audio, I own two FiiO's, the Alpen2/K5 and Alpen/K09) because I've got two pretty good DAC's in my Oppo 105 and Denon DCD-A100. I'm trying to align what I read that you're hearing with my first-hand experiences with the DAC's at these Canfests. I'm I interpreting the comments correctly? TIA...

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #44 of 54
My only experience was in Concord. Am I interpreting this to mean the Ragnarok was forward in the mid-treble or that it had superlative Macrodynamics.

I'm not sure what shouty is either, so I'm of no help.

Hmm shoutys I guess an older word, but @Zennheiser hit the nail on the head, except it's not just forward rather it's excessively forward. The LCD XC also has this shouty quality I imagine if you pair'd it with the Rag you'd likely never forget the literal sound of the headphone shouting at you

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #45 of 54
It's all good, I'm just curious. I'm not young, but I'd never heard it before. The variation in ears is always the big variable anyway. Thanks for the follow-up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back