Cardas Ear Speakers delayed but worth the wait!
Aug 15, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #166 of 453
I just starting to get mine broken in, and have used them with my 901, my Cowon x7, and MY Galaxy S3 phone, the latter two with and without a Leckerton amp. They are very sensitive to tips, insertion depth, and orientation in the ear - moreso than many other iems I have tried.  Irrespective of source, they do some pretty amazing things.  Yes, they are a bit forgiving, yes, they are a bit dark sounding-- but they disappear as the sources of sound - they have amazing timbre and tonality.  They have great palpability as well - images are 3-d and well fleshed out.  

Mongo like so far!

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #167 of 453
Here is mine, its arrived yesterday but know it already in my house just this morning...

Burnin is a must, mine get better after several hours, now purchase clarifier app, I read the booklet first...

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #168 of 453
I use the clarifier app on my android phone, and the isotek burn-in disc copied as FLAC to my player.  Both work well.  

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #170 of 453
Just jumped on the bandwagon and got myself a pair of the EM5813, after a second lengthy tryout. Spending quality time with it really change my perspective and though my favorite had always been detail-oriented cans (especially for IEMs) this little baby has something else to offer that compliment my existing setup nicely. For one, the vocals are superb and bone-chillingly musical, where musicality isn't exactly a term I give much credit in hi-fi world before (a term I really think used too frequently as an excuse for technically inferior components). Details isn't lacking at all - it's just not attention-grabbing.

Will try the clarifier app, sooner or later.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #172 of 453
Quote:
The driver flexed when I used single flange, its ok?
I used single flange UETF10, its good, and rise the treble...

I use the included blue double flanges and there's no driver flex whatsoever, comfy and very isolating.

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #173 of 453
After listening for more than a week I think I spoke to soon on the bass.  It still seems a little loose to me and I haven't yet picked up an amp to see if there is any improvement. BUT... the truth is I no longer really notice.

With these iems I find myself just getting sucked into the music more and more.  There are some albums that I've never really been able to appreciate that I now find in regular rotation on my iPod... somehow they are more listenable or enjoyable. Strange - but awesome.

I can listen for hours with the only fatigue being some slight discomfort - the ear tips seem to be a little big for my ears and end up folding in on themselves a little - but this is very minor and I hardly notice it.

Thanks Todd R!  Money well spent!

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #174 of 453
The bass can be controlled, but it does take an amp, even though they are not hard to drive, per se.  The Minibox amp card from the HiFiMan 901 will do it, as will the Leckerton 6.  The 5813s are immensely enjoyable.  They sound good with average quality sources, but scale and sound phenomenal with superior sources/amps.

They are a bit heavy, and the cable is a bit cumbersome, but I don't care - these are wonderful to listen to, and they make a lot of other iems simply sound wrong.

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #175 of 453
One thing that made me hesitate before the purchase was in fact one of its selling point - the Clear Light cable. Its slim-ish for hifi cables but very cumbersome for portable usage. Hefty iems made with metal tends to fall off from the ear and heavy or rigid cables tend to drag earphones off the ear.

But then one thing that I really appreciate is that it is officially stated in the instructions that the EM is designed so you can wear it with cable around the ear. This solves completely the problems of cable noise and cable weight and the cable sits reasonably stable around the ears. I don't really need to readjust the fit during my morning commute which is just over an hour.

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #176 of 453
@productred, mine flexed when its fit in my ear then I pushed deeper, its happen few times, look its normal, hehe...

@CanadianNoob, after few hour of burnin, the bass and the treble more neutral. First I don't like this iem soundsig, think to sell it, but after a week, I think this awesome, I'm too long stuck in 'treble-happy' iems, I think this is what I called "neutral"
The detail, upper, mid, low are awesome.

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #177 of 453
Quote:
@productred, mine flexed when its fit in my ear then I pushed deeper, its happen few times, look its normal, hehe...

@CanadianNoob, after few hour of burnin, the bass and the treble more neutral. First I don't like this iem soundsig, think to sell it, but after a week, I think this awesome, I'm too long stuck in 'treble-happy' iems, I think this is what I called "neutral"
The detail, upper, mid, low are awesome.

I see.............never happened on me but we can never tell can we? hope it doesn't affect the sound on yours.

Now while I am liking these babies more and more, I can't help myself wondering about some, um,  confusing marketing on the part of Cardas,
1. I know Cardas is all about the golden ratio blah blah blah but............what's so good about the golden ratio in designing a tiny pair of earphones?
2. Yes I've read about the ear mirror bit, how the EMs mimic the auditory system blah blah blah..............but again, what's so good about mimicking the auditory system in designing a tiny pair of earphones?
3. Very well, Cardas followed the trend and show us proudly a blown up diagram of the inside workings of the EMs...........with absolutely NOTHING to see. Just plain good-old-fashioned dynamic earphones like millions others that were thrown into the market in the past 10 years. So..........am I missing something, or the diagram is MEANT to be showing NOTHING?

Unlike many others (or like many out there as well), I do appreciate manufacturers letting us know the concept behind their designs and technology applied into their products. That'd be great. BUT the missing link in the Cardas case is: why this concept? how is the concept related to the sound intended by Cardas? Don't give me the shXt that the golden ratio exist in the nature blah blah blah............that makes no sense.

Did I say I am liking these babies more and more? I mean it. These had become my go-to earphones of late, and pairing it with my AK100 it isn't even that bassy - AK100 has the miraculous ability to tame and tighten bass which would otherwise sound big fat and overpowering on the idevices.

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #178 of 453
Quote:

I see.............never happened on me but we can never tell can we? hope it doesn't affect the sound on yours.

Now while I am liking these babies more and more, I can't help myself wondering about some, um,  confusing marketing on the part of Cardas,
1. I know Cardas is all about the golden ratio blah blah blah but............what's so good about the golden ratio in designing a tiny pair of earphones?
2. Yes I've read about the ear mirror bit, how the EMs mimic the auditory system blah blah blah..............but again, what's so good about mimicking the auditory system in designing a tiny pair of earphones?
3. Very well, Cardas followed the trend and show us proudly a blown up diagram of the inside workings of the EMs...........with absolutely NOTHING to see. Just plain good-old-fashioned dynamic earphones like millions others that were thrown into the market in the past 10 years. So..........am I missing something, or the diagram is MEANT to be showing NOTHING?

Unlike many others (or like many out there as well), I do appreciate manufacturers letting us know the concept behind their designs and technology applied into their products. That'd be great. BUT the missing link in the Cardas case is: why this concept? how is the concept related to the sound intended by Cardas? Don't give me the shXt that the golden ratio exist in the nature blah blah blah............that makes no sense.

Did I say I am liking these babies more and more? I mean it. These had become my go-to earphones of late, and pairing it with my AK100 it isn't even that bassy - AK100 has the miraculous ability to tame and tighten bass which would otherwise sound big fat and overpowering on the idevices.

I like mine very much, as well.  I determined this by listening to them - not because of any blurbs on their web site.  I respect Cardas' engineering talent, and his musical aesthetic.  I believe there is some unique technology and/or design involved in making these sound as good as they sound.  

given your numbered points, I think the correct answers are as follows:

1. Because it makes them sound good - you've heard the result and agree they sound good.
2. see answer to #1.
3. yes, i think they may have omitted some things they do not want to simply 'give away' that cost them a lot of time and money to develop/discover/implement.

Given the length of time it took them to go from conception to commerce, I understand why they do not want to disclose their 'secret(s)'.  Would you spill the beans if the shoe was on the other foot?

Given how much we both like them, i guess i want to simply say...  'stick 'em in your ear(s)!!!!!!!

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #179 of 453
Quote:
I like mine very much, as well.  I determined this by listening to them - not because of any blurbs on their web site.  I respect Cardas' engineering talent, and his musical aesthetic.  I believe there is some unique technology and/or design involved in making these sound as good as they sound.  

given your numbered points, I think the correct answers are as follows:

1. Because it makes them sound good - you've heard the result and agree they sound good.
2. see answer to #1.
3. yes, i think they may have omitted some things they do not want to simply 'give away' that cost them a lot of time and money to develop/discover/implement.

Given the length of time it took them to go from conception to commerce, I understand why they do not want to disclose their 'secret(s)'.  Would you spill the beans if the shoe was on the other foot?

Given how much we both like them, i guess i want to simply say...  'stick 'em in your ear(s)!!!!!!!

Haha I'm doing just that right now
ksc75smile.gif

Funny thing is if what you say is true, then Cardas' approach is so different with that of the developer of my other go-to earphone of late, i.e. the Ocharaku Flat4-Sui. Yamagishi-san was sooooooooo eager to share with everyone every single bits of details in his design that you'd get a headache reading his explanations if you don't have some basic knowledge on the physics side of sound (or if you lack sleep). There are other manufacturers who simply doesn't say anything. In fact Cardas said quite a lot............though how those are relevant I have no clues =P

Not that I care too much about that, as long as they sound good. And the Cardas sounds very good.

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #180 of 453
Quote:

Haha I'm doing just that right now
ksc75smile.gif

Funny thing is if what you say is true, then Cardas' approach is so different with that of the developer of my other go-to earphone of late, i.e. the Ocharaku Flat4-Sui. Yamagishi-san was sooooooooo eager to share with everyone every single bits of details in his design that you'd get a headache reading his explanations if you don't have some basic knowledge on the physics side of sound (or if you lack sleep). There are other manufacturers who simply doesn't say anything. In fact Cardas said quite a lot............though how those are relevant I have no clues =P

Not that I care too much about that, as long as they sound good. And the Cardas sounds very good.

productred,  I am glad you took my comments the way they were intended - we both agree that the 5813s sound great - 'addictive' is the term I'd use, and that there is less info about them provided by their designer, than can sometimes be seen from other brands.  I prefer great sound to great marketing.-- guess that would be like ESOB.  

My 901/Minibox amp combo does very nice things with them as well, but they also sound very good via Cowon X7, and my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone....  Time to thin the iem herd again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back