Cardas Ear Speakers delayed but worth the wait!
Jul 27, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #136 of 453
Quote:
Hey audionewbi, thanks for the follow-up.

Did you use both of the ear tips? If so, did you prefer one to the other?
And if you compared the clear to blue tips, did the blue tips produce
less bass, in your experience?

I actually did not used the supplied ear tips. I used the black bi-flange that came with ASG-2. As i am typing this I have placed my ear tip collection front of me and i am rolling them again. the first time I did this I liked the ASG-2 tips (the dark black one) the best. 

The bass has change alot from what it was last week. It is no longer boomy. It is warm but the bass is nicely textured. To my superize it sounds really nice with modern music. 

I will hopefully pass this along to few other friends of mine to test out imaging and transparency as they have a much more sensitive hearing than I. I am never good in understanding the entire standard when it comes to imaging. I was told that I also have a bias towards bright sounding IEM. I like bright analytic sounds more than warm natural sounding stuff. This is something that goes against what the majority like. This is what I have been told. 

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #137 of 453
I contacted Cardas and was told they don't even sell replacement ear tips but that the Comply T500 fits. But those are foam, not sure if I will like them. 

What am I supposed to do? I tend to go through ear tips pretty fast. 

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #138 of 453
I've tried them with MEelctronics tips, both single and biflange, '50' size - they work great, and seem to have slightly less bass quantity, which is a good thing, although they are still breaking in and i have not gone back to the stock tips yet.

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #139 of 453
Today I did what I promised myself not to do which is to directly compare Ck100pro against cardas model 1.

Gears:
  1. ODAC
  2. portaphile 627x
  3. ELGAR Enigma Variations, Introduction & Allegr (24/192 file) I have included the youtube version as the changes i noticed was quiet common ,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ys-84N-fgk
  4. ER4S as my reference IEM
  5. Ck100pro
  6. cardas IEM

Finding:
After switching between these two IEM it was very hard to believe it was the same track I was listening too, it sounded completely different! I cannot say which is better or worst as they both rendered the track complete differently. Model 1 been more on the expansive, open sounding and less intimate which focuses on the entire track where as Ck100pro been more intimate and had such beautiful treble detail. When I put on the ck100pro right after the model 1 the first think that comes to my mind is' what happened to all this high freqancy details?' But all of a sudden the smaller considerably less expansive sound of ck100pro was also obvious. The difference in sound is as follow: Ck100pro feels like you are in a medium sized room and setting in the front row where as the cardas feels like you are setting in a large hall and placed in the middle row where in both cases the orchestra are few meters away from the front row. 

I honestly cannot find fault in either rendition as while I love detail (which ck100pro won clearly ) the sound become so much more claustrophobic that I was willing to sarcifize on detail for more open sound. I really do not know what the artist and sound engineering was really aiming for after comparing this two IEM on that track but if once again using my own reference IEM the ER4S, ck100pro was able to produce the overall tonality of Er4s where as cardas and er4s sounded like two complete alien entity, two complete different things comparable in only that they both are IEM and that is about it, sound wise ER4S and cardas model 1 have nothing in common what so ever.

So naturally once again it comes to music genre and preference. As much as the detail is important there are certain things that Mr cardas has done right which is making an IEM sound so open and as natural as an IEM can get.

Negative finding on cardas model 1: 
Sadly the driver flexes. This occurs when I try to insert the IEM deeper in my ear while the music is playing. I have learned that if I was to hold the hole at the back of the ear pieces the flexing would not occur but it is a little concerning as  I had two dynamic IEM that died a while after I heard their driver flex. 

Summary:

I liked what model 1 did to the track I posted above however this is only one track and still believe ck100pro is more universally suitable for other genre of music. If Mr cardas is able to keep the same tonality while adding the missing treble  and somehow find a way to reduce the price by 50 dollar (perhaps use less cable?) model 1 can easily stand its ground.
As far as my preference goes I use cardas more these days after work as the sound is non fatiguing and no part of the sound stands between you and your music however over the weekend where I like to put on my critical listening hat on I am afraid I do not reach for cardas that much.

It is definetly a warm IEM but its bass has a nice decay and texture to it is not offensive to the listeners ears. I believe if a warm IEM is able to attract my attention without its bass been the first think about it that comes to my mind when I explain its sound to other people who ask me about it in my book they have done it right. While bass do play an important role in model 1 its overall tonality is more than the bass they offer. 
Their bass changed from incredibly boomy and offensive out of the box to a nicely textured bass which goes nicely with its open sound. If the IEM did not sound as open as they do i am sure bass would have been an issue on them.

Future review:

My next review is going to be comparing model 1 and EX-1000.

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #140 of 453
@audionewbi. That's I wsiting for, comparation between cardas vs sony flagship.
Stay tune n sit well until next week for your review.
Nice review by the way.

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #141 of 453
I hope it was helpful, it is really hard to describe in words what I hear and I like to do it without any bias as possible.

As far as EX-1000 goes I consider it the older brother of CK100pro, it is as close as any dynamic IEM can get to the sound of ck100pro. EX-1000 can sound incredibly bright on bright tracks which in my view CK100pro does not have a problem with.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #142 of 453
Quote:

Today I did what I promised myself not to do which is to directly compare Ck100pro against cardas model 1.

Gears:
  1. ODAC
  2. portaphile 627x
  3. ELGAR Enigma Variations, Introduction & Allegr (24/192 file) I have included the youtube version as the changes i noticed was quiet common ,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ys-84N-fgk
  4. ER4S as my reference IEM
  5. Ck100pro
  6. cardas IEM

Finding:
After switching between these two IEM it was very hard to believe it was the same track I was listening too, it sounded completely different! I cannot say which is better or worst as they both rendered the track complete differently. Model 1 been more on the expansive, open sounding and less intimate which focuses on the entire track where as Ck100pro been more intimate and had such beautiful treble detail. When I put on the ck100pro right after the model 1 the first think that comes to my mind is' what happened to all this high freqancy details?' But all of a sudden the smaller considerably less expansive sound of ck100pro was also obvious. The difference in sound is as follow: Ck100pro feels like you are in a medium sized room and setting in the front row where as the cardas feels like you are setting in a large hall and placed in the middle row where in both cases the orchestra are few meters away from the front row. 

I honestly cannot find fault in either rendition as while I love detail (which ck100pro won clearly ) the sound become so much more claustrophobic that I was willing to sarcifize on detail for more open sound. I really do not know what the artist and sound engineering was really aiming for after comparing this two IEM on that track but if once again using my own reference IEM the ER4S, ck100pro was able to produce the overall tonality of Er4s where as cardas and er4s sounded like two complete alien entity, two complete different things comparable in only that they both are IEM and that is about it, sound wise ER4S and cardas model 1 have nothing in common what so ever.

So naturally once again it comes to music genre and preference. As much as the detail is important there are certain things that Mr cardas has done right which is making an IEM sound so open and as natural as an IEM can get.

Negative finding on cardas model 1: 
Sadly the driver flexes. This occurs when I try to insert the IEM deeper in my ear while the music is playing. I have learned that if I was to hold the hole at the back of the ear pieces the flexing would not occur but it is a little concerning as  I had two dynamic IEM that died a while after I heard their driver flex. 

Summary:

I liked what model 1 did to the track I posted above however this is only one track and still believe ck100pro is more universally suitable for other genre of music. If Mr cardas is able to keep the same tonality while adding the missing treble  and somehow find a way to reduce the price by 50 dollar (perhaps use less cable?) model 1 can easily stand its ground.
As far as my preference goes I use cardas more these days after work as the sound is non fatiguing and no part of the sound stands between you and your music however over the weekend where I like to put on my critical listening hat on I am afraid I do not reach for cardas that much.

It is definetly a warm IEM but its bass has a nice decay and texture to it is not offensive to the listeners ears. I believe if a warm IEM is able to attract my attention without its bass been the first think about it that comes to my mind when I explain its sound to other people who ask me about it in my book they have done it right. While bass do play an important role in model 1 its overall tonality is more than the bass they offer. 
Their bass changed from incredibly boomy and offensive out of the box to a nicely textured bass which goes nicely with its open sound. If the IEM did not sound as open as they do i am sure bass would have been an issue on them.

Future review:

My next review is going to be comparing model 1 and EX-1000.

Very nice thoughts, comparison!! 

Thanks

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #143 of 453
those cables look like a real handful. 

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #144 of 453
I picked up some Comply T500 eartips and they fit the Cardas Ear Speakers fine, just like Cardas said.

They sound great and more importantly, they are quite comfortable and seem to make them stay in my ears better:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002P7EKAM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002P7EKAM&linkCode=as2&tag=tt-20

Someone recommended the Ts500 too, which I will try next time. Those have a more round shape and are supposed to be even more comfortable. But I have no complaints with the T500. 

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #145 of 453
I've purchased the T500s and the TX500s, and tried the T so far.  They are comfy, sound good, and do not dull the sound, or rob the highs like some people claim.  I'll try the TX next, but also like the stock clear biflanges as well.

The more I listen to these, the harder it is to listen to other iems. I am currently using them with my brand new HiFiman 901 - yum!

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #146 of 453
Have you guys tried pushing the bi-flange in all the way just like the way aloaudio has them displayed on their website? that worked best for me. 

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #147 of 453
Ergh, trying to compare ex1000 and model 1 after one week off not using them it seems like it was my ear where used to them. soundwise ex 1000 out of 627x sound what i consider perfect due to mellow sound of the 627x and sterile sound of the ex1000. I am sorry to say but model 1 seems to be lo-mi fi compared to it.

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #148 of 453
I cn see how you would have that preference, given your list of gear, along with my experience with both the 1000s and the Grados.  I bought a used pair of 1000s based on all the glowing reviews.  They were unlistenable - bordering on painful to me.  I get how people can be wowed by audio gear that flings detail at you - it's exciting, but not real.  The Cardas initially seem to lack highs, when you listen for highs per se, but when you think about what the instruments should sound like, and listen for cymbals, etc, they seem to be in correct proportion, overtones on strings, horns, etc must be there for timbre to be as accurate as it is with these.  

I'm not here to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't like.  In fact, I'm happy that we have variety so people can find their happy place.  I do object to people calling things 'mid-fi' for what i would consider incomplete or incorrect reasons.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #149 of 453
What you said is very fair, I shouldn't use such terms as they really have no meaningful usage however my standard is er4s, we all need some sort if reference.

I enjoy cardas model 1 sound when I only use them for a while and for many who do not have a luxury to try different iem model 1 is just so nice however as you said they do not have those wow factors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back