Cardas Ear Speakers delayed but worth the wait!
Jan 17, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #301 of 453
I also fell in love with my Cardas EM5813.   I listen to orchestral soundtracks, which sound so epic, grand, and spacious through the Cardas EM5813.  
I've burned mine in for well over 100 hours and use the Cardas Clarifier app.
I usually listen to them thru my portable rig, consisting of an iPod Nano - CLAS - RSA SR-71b.

The ergonomics of the thick cable can be a bit cumbersome, but I found a solution that works for me.  I wear a lanyard with a binder clip at the end, and I slip the cable through it, so that the Y-split housing rests on top of the binder clip.  This takes most of the weight off of the earpieces.  

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #302 of 453
Nice solution with the lanyard! I just drape the cable around my neck or run one of the ear piece cables behind one ear and insert the other one as normal. I manage. For me the sound is what matters and if that means a cumbersome cable, so be it...I'm into these big time regardless.

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #303 of 453
Thanks!  I like the fact that it's a Cardas cable more than the ergonomic challenges it brings :)

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #304 of 453
HI everyone, 

I just received my pair from another Head-fier who didn't get on with them. Whilst at first listen I can see what the negative opinions were describing - particularly coming from etymotic er-4's - I take heart from those here saying these earphones change on extended burn-in. 

Only question is - how exactly do I 'burn in' these earphones? I don't have the original instructions as I understand they were printed on the box. Haven't done this, pretty much only ever used etymotics which are fine out of the box.

I connected the two ear speakers together using one of the tips and running FM radio white noise through them at reasonably high volume - is that the right approach? 

Thank you for the advice.

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #305 of 453
That should be just fine.  When I had mine, I connected the two and cycled it through my music collection for 72 hours straight at my regular listening level.  Of all the dynamic driven iems I've owned and listened to, the EM5813 takes the cake on proof that burn in is real. 

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #306 of 453
Thanks - will leave them running for the next few days. Interested to see how they change. At the moment they are rather odd, treble so recessed it is reminiscent of AM radio!

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #307 of 453
I think a lot of the burn in is with my brain I've owned these for around 8 months and now my desire to keep up with the Jones has almost completely diminished ! They are more of a nice pair of loud speakers than a iem when I'm in the mood to rock I just switch my MK3 to high gain and get lost in the music ! The cable being the pain in the ass that it is simply isn't enough of a problem to reach for the Cardas 90% of the time ! Those who haven't given these a try or given them adequate time to grow on them are missing a fantastic listening experience what it is seems to be the completely different texture from other iem's so much so they take some time to adapt to but when it happens there is no going back

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #308 of 453
I am about to pull the trigger on a set of these.  I am curious about the cable though.  Of the user that have had these for an  extended period of time, what are your thoughts?  Is cable noise an issue?  If I wear these to take the dog for a walk am I going to be annoyed?

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #309 of 453
I have found that using a clip or even to loop it thru your pants belt loop will take care of the problem the cable is certainly long enough. The main problem I have experienced is keeping a good seal they are heavy and with movement the tips will break the ear seal . I have used an assortment of tips but finally found a set of custom tips I had ordered some time ago for my Shure 535 or Westone's the opening was to small for the Cardas but with a drill bit and exacto knife I was able to expand the opening and fit them over the tube they are inserted deeper in my ear and perform a more custom fit now the seal break is not as prevalent and the sound is fantastic.   

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #310 of 453
My impressions so far. 

You will hate these out of the box. Worst sounding headphone I've ever heard fresh out of box. You will rue the day you ever heard of the em5813. You will regret even considering. Just horrible. Like they are dipped in mud. Bloated bass, no intelligibility. Rolled off highs. How could anyone like these?

They start to get better after 10 hours. Still bad. Keep breaking them in. Buy the Cardas clarifier app. Run them on radio static. Do whatever you can to break them in. Definitely connect them to each other by taking one of the tips off and connect one to the other. Leave them locked in a drawer and just let them run. Don't listen to them unless you want to torture yourself. 

After 50 hours, okay. They are listenable. 

After 100 hours. better. 

After 200 hours, really good. Still warm, but oh so inviting. Luxurious, relaxing. Lush, dimensional. Like no other IEM you've heard. It'll make other IEM's sound thin, anemic, bright, harsh in comparison. 

The cord sucks. It's long, it's bulky. It's an ergonomic nightmare. I lost the clip after the first week. 

The tips get better over time. The silicone softens up. Sticks better in the ear. 

These are not for everyone. Takes some audiophile neurotic dedication to deal with their inconvenience. (Westones much more plug and play) 

They do sound wonderful given some time. Long, long break-in. Takes some brain break-in too. Listen for a few hours (after they are broken in) and you might get hooked. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #311 of 453
Agree 100% with your observations ! After several months of back and forth with the Cardas they have became a go to iem for me They remind me of sitting between a large set of speakers back in the 70's such as the Advent or Rectilinear 111 lowboys and cranking up the volume for my taste what else could you possibly want ! It wasn't exactly comfortable seating then and it still isn't with the Cardas BUT it will make you smile :}

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #312 of 453
My impressions so far. 

You will hate these out of the box. Worst sounding headphone I've ever heard fresh out of box. You will rue the day you ever heard of the em5813. You will regret even considering. Just horrible. Like they are dipped in mud. Bloated bass, no intelligibility. Rolled off highs. How could anyone like these?

They start to get better after 10 hours. Still bad. Keep breaking them in. Buy the Cardas clarifier app. Run them on radio static. Do whatever you can to break them in. Definitely connect them to each other by taking one of the tips off and connect one to the other. Leave them locked in a drawer and just let them run. Don't listen to them unless you want to torture yourself. 

After 50 hours, okay. They are listenable. 

After 100 hours. better. 

After 200 hours, really good. Still warm, but oh so inviting. Luxurious, relaxing. Lush, dimensional. Like no other IEM you've heard. It'll make other IEM's sound thin, anemic, bright, harsh in comparison. 

The cord sucks. It's long, it's bulky. It's an ergonomic nightmare. I lost the clip after the first week. 

The tips get better over time. The silicone softens up. Sticks better in the ear. 

These are not for everyone. Takes some audiophile neurotic dedication to deal with their inconvenience. (Westones much more plug and play) 

They do sound wonderful given some time. Long, long break-in. Takes some brain break-in too. Listen for a few hours (after they are broken in) and you might get hooked. 

If they sound bad out of the box, they are bad.

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #313 of 453
I have information from a Canadian retailer who sells the Cardas Earpeakers that indicates they now come with Comply tips included, along with the two original pairs. People who purchased earlier sets can contact Cardas and get the Comply tips free of charge.

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #314 of 453
I am auditioning a pair of RHA 750's right now.  I know these are not in the same league as the Cardas, but they are extremely comfortable.  But coming from Monster Turbine Coppers, these just do not sound right.  I am giving them another day to burn in to see if the sound changes anymore.  

I really want to get a set of Cardas.  But my unanswered question about the cable is holding me back.  Anyone using these on the move?  How about air travel?  

I know I might be pushing it but has anyone tried these on a treadmill?

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #315 of 453
I am auditioning a pair of RHA 750's right now.  I know these are not in the same league as the Cardas, but they are extremely comfortable.  But coming from Monster Turbine Coppers, these just do not sound right.  I am giving them another day to burn in to see if the sound changes anymore.  

I really want to get a set of Cardas.  But my unanswered question about the cable is holding me back.  Anyone using these on the move?  How about air travel?  

I know I might be pushing it but has anyone tried these on a treadmill?

I can only use it when I'm sitting still. The difficulty in 'managing' the cable was the sole reason why I sold it. Walking around with it is already pushing the limit. Otherwise, it's really a nice sounding iem. You will never get tired listening to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back