Cardas Ear Speakers delayed but worth the wait!
Jan 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #316 of 453
  I am auditioning a pair of RHA 750's right now.  I know these are not in the same league as the Cardas, but they are extremely comfortable.  But coming from Monster Turbine Coppers, these just do not sound right.  I am giving them another day to burn in to see if the sound changes anymore.  

I really want to get a set of Cardas.  But my unanswered question about the cable is holding me back.  Anyone using these on the move?  How about air travel?  

I know I might be pushing it but has anyone tried these on a treadmill?

They are not comfortable on the move. You will have to figure out some method of controlling all of the extra heavy cable. Fusionramjet mentioned a lanyard and binder clip. Cable is microphonic. I have used them walking about, but it can get annoying. You will have to really like the sound of these to put up with them. 

Air travel should be fine considering you will be stationary most of the time. 

I would not use these on a treadmill. I'm not sure how you'd keep them in your ears. 

These were really meant for stationary desktop use. Very impractical as a typical portable IEM. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #317 of 453
  I am auditioning a pair of RHA 750's right now.  I know these are not in the same league as the Cardas, but they are extremely comfortable.  But coming from Monster Turbine Coppers, these just do not sound right.  I am giving them another day to burn in to see if the sound changes anymore.  

I really want to get a set of Cardas.  But my unanswered question about the cable is holding me back.  Anyone using these on the move?  How about air travel?  

I know I might be pushing it but has anyone tried these on a treadmill?

I agree with uelover.  For me, these are for stationary use only.

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #318 of 453
That sucks.  I really wanted you to say that it is fine.

I wonder Cardas would customize a pair with a  shorter cable?

I couldn't imagine the cable length would change the sound.

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #319 of 453

My impressions so far. 

You will hate these out of the box. Worst sounding headphone I've ever heard fresh out of box. You will rue the day you ever heard of the em5813. You will regret even considering. Just horrible. Like they are dipped in mud. Bloated bass, no intelligibility. Rolled off highs. How could anyone like these?

They start to get better after 10 hours. Still bad. Keep breaking them in. Buy the Cardas clarifier app. Run them on radio static. Do whatever you can to break them in. Definitely connect them to each other by taking one of the tips off and connect one to the other. Leave them locked in a drawer and just let them run. Don't listen to them unless you want to torture yourself. 

After 50 hours, okay. They are listenable. 

After 100 hours. better. 

After 200 hours, really good. Still warm, but oh so inviting. Luxurious, relaxing. Lush, dimensional. Like no other IEM you've heard. It'll make other IEM's sound thin, anemic, bright, harsh in comparison. 

The cord sucks. It's long, it's bulky. It's an ergonomic nightmare. I lost the clip after the first week. 

The tips get better over time. The silicone softens up. Sticks better in the ear. 

These are not for everyone. Takes some audiophile neurotic dedication to deal with their inconvenience. (Westones much more plug and play) 

They do sound wonderful given some time. Long, long break-in. Takes some brain break-in too. Listen for a few hours (after they are broken in) and you might get hooked. 

If they sound bad out of the box, they are bad.

Sure, you're one of the break-in is a myth people. Buy some Cardas EM5813's and share your own experience and measurements if you like and then I think you will have something to add. 

I have not experienced break-in changes of this magnitude with any other headphone or piece of gear I've ever owned in 20 years as an audiophile. I did not experience this break-in phenomenon with the Westone 3 I recently got, so I am not blindly in the camp of every headphone needs break-in. I'm willing to consider that a lot of the break-in phenomenon is due to our brains filling in or compensating for a certain sound signature over time. Habituation/desensitization is a proven biological phenomenon. I'm sure it happens. 

I think more is going on with Cardas EM5813. The change is not subtle at all and can't be attributed to just habituation as I was not constantly listening to these as they were breaking in. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #320 of 453
Sure, you're one of the break-in is a myth people. Buy some Cardas EM5813's and share your own experience and measurements if you like and then I think you will have something to add. 

I have not experienced break-in changes of this magnitude with any other headphone or piece of gear I've ever owned in 20 years as an audiophile. I did not experience this break-in phenomenon with the Westone 3 I recently got, so I am not blindly in the camp of every headphone needs break-in. I'm willing to consider that a lot of the break-in phenomenon is due to our brains filling in or compensating for a certain sound signature over time. Habituation/desensitization is a proven biological phenomenon. I'm sure it happens. 

I think more is going on with Cardas EM5813. The change is not subtle at all and can't be attributed to just habituation as I was not constantly listening to these as they were breaking in. 

What miracle paradigm-shift materials are they using in their IEM construction that haven't been used before then?

I don't want to get into the burn-in debate, I really don't, but you must see the lunacy in your statements?

p.s. No way in the world am I ever going to buy a pair of IEMs which appear to sound awful out of the box and which can't even be worn when walking around.

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #322 of 453
  So, what's the point of you posting your opinion without merit on this thread as you've clearly shown you have not owned or auditioned these audible beauties?

+1. I'm not a fan of the Cardas, but it's nonsense to have such a strong opinion on something without true merit.

As for the burn in thing...I don't think that explains it. The pair I had came with about 100hrs use. I listened, then put it through an intense 48hr drum and bass burn in. No change. Why? I was constantly A/B'in vs my other iems to check for changes.

I think most of it is mental. The signature is one that is so outlandish that it requires time to wrap your head around it. Just my 2c of course.

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #323 of 453
What miracle paradigm-shift materials are they using in their IEM construction that haven't been used before then?

I don't want to get into the burn-in debate, I really don't, but you must see the lunacy in your statements?

p.s. No way in the world am I ever going to buy a pair of IEMs which appear to sound awful out of the box and which can't even be worn when walking around.

Yeah, the Cardas EM5813 ergonomic challenges and sonic signature are not for everyone. Anyone considering these should understand that and be prepared. No one is forcing you to buy these nor would I recommend them to you. 

It is lunacy and logical fallacy to make blanket absolute negative statements like "there is no such thing as burn-in." 

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #324 of 453
I know I have my concerns about the cable.  Burn in aside, what else would you say is comparable.  I am looking for alternatives.  I have auditioned a lot of IEM's in my area and most have them have turned out to severely lacking.  I do like to put IEM's in a go about my day.  That might include surfing the internet, walking the dog, doing the dishes.  I guess I am just trying to understand the cable without actually being able to hold them before purchase.  

My monsters had a lot of cable noise too, I eventually got used to it and I found ways to compensate.  Anyone that has owned monsters would you say this is more or less, or the same?

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #325 of 453
I have used them while walking, doing dishes, etc. and they are fine. I've gotten used to the weight and microphonics. You'll figure out the best way to manage the weight e.g. clip them to your shirt, tuck them behind your ears, put the excess in a pocket, loop them around your body strategically. In the end, you'll have to appreciate their sound enough to deal with inconvenience. 

They don't sound like any other IEM I've heard. In general, I would describe the sound as warm, dimensional, atmospheric, musical. They are not "neutral." If you prefer analytical, forward sounding headphones, I think you will not like the Cardas. I find other headphones sound thin and bright in comparison. Least fatiguing headphones I have used. I can listen to these for hours and be drawn into the music. They convey the emotion of music better than any other headphone I've used. I think there are technically superior headphones, but these do a exemplary job of getting the musical part right. I have several headphones I can grab and listen to, but I find myself picking the Cardas at the moment.  

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #326 of 453
I understand the the fit of any IEM is crucial to the resulting sound, but I find that the Cardas fit is more finicky than any other IEM that I have.  Because it's so easy to disturb that "perfect" positioning that makes them problematic for me for use on the go, more so the weight and unwieldiness of the cable.

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #328 of 453
I'm using Comply foam eartips with mine. Seems to make them less finicky and a more secure fit in the ear. 

Sound is the same, or better. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #329 of 453
  I'm using Comply foam eartips with mine. Seems to make them less finicky and a more secure fit in the ear. 

Sound is the same, or better. 

I did try the Comply's and they certainly provide a more secure fit - and I often like Comply's with other IEM's that I have.  With the Cardas, though, they make the lows too prominent for me.

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #330 of 453
Ditto - I find that for me these work best not with a tight seal but placed fairly gently in. Deeper in and the low notes become bloomy. In this respect the very opposite of what I'm used to. I completely agree with the above comments about non-fatiguing musicality vs up-close analytical detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back