Cardas Clear Headphone Cable
Sep 2, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #61 of 75
As stock cables go, the HD800 cable is decent and I lived with it quite happily for some time. I managed to buy a Entreq replacement cable second hand and the improvements were easy to hear which surprised me as I didn't expect it. A far more engaging experience  and money well spent to my ears.

On the other hand though, I would never post on here saying I can't understand why people don't buy upgrade cables. Like everything audio it generally costs to take something you really enjoy to the nth degree.

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #63 of 75
Cardas or DHC ?? That is the question ...

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #64 of 75
I was never an expensive cable believer before, but wow has the Cardas Clear changed my mind!! My HDVD800 / HD800 setup has never sounded so good! Very noticeable increase in clarity & instrument separation with the Cardas vs the stock. This cable is awesome!

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #65 of 75
I was never an expensive cable believer before, but wow has the Cardas Clear changed my mind!! My HDVD800 / HD800 setup has never sounded so good! Very noticeable increase in clarity & instrument separation with the Cardas vs the stock. This cable is awesome!

Did the Cardas also solved the treble issue (if you had problem with HD800's treble) ?

Anyway, I will wait to be able to hear the NEW HD800s to decide if it is an improvement over the HD800.

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #66 of 75
Did the Cardas also solved the treble issue (if you had problem with HD800's treble) ?

Anyway, I will wait to be able to hear the NEW HD800s to decide if it is an improvement over the HD800.
I believe the amp played the largest part in relieving the hd800 treble peak. After I upgraded to the HDVD800 the annoying 6k peak smooth out tremendously, which would give me headaches before on my previous amps, being tubed or solid state. The Cardas helped most in transparency, clarity, and instrument separation, which made it much easier to distinguish instruments in their relative space.

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #67 of 75
I've used the Cardas wire to tame headphones with a potentially fatiguing upper midrange like some Beyerdynamics and AKGs. It works extremely well for that purpose as it is internally enameled and litzed (i.e. different sized connectors), so you have very slightly different resistances in each isolated conductor.

I have pretty sensitive ears myself, so if I ever purchased the HD700 or HD800 I'd have to make a cable using Cardas wire for them. 

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #68 of 75
Big fan of my balanced Cardas Fatpipe cables. Distinctive upgrade from stock in many ways. Not sure what they sell for since they were bundled with the HD800's--$1200 total...good deal I hope :)

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #69 of 75
Cardas Clear is a bit heavy although a nice cable and probably one of the best cables in taming the highs of the HD800 / S.

A bit too expensive though and I wouldn't have purchased at full retail (I got a pretty good deal on one). 

I'm happy with it and it did smooth out the highs for me  and give an overall even more yummy sound. 

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #70 of 75
After a careful comparison between the stock cable and Cardas Clear (plz consider the following):
- Volume matched
- Stock unbalanced.
- Cardas balanced 4 XLR. 
- Simaudio 430 HAD (source).
- Unfortunately NOT a blind A/B test. 

I am confident to say that the Cardas offers a little extra sub-bass, which is more than enough to my ears. Any extra sub-bass will ruin the whole frequency (in my opinion). 

As mentioned before this comparison was not performed as a blind A/B test, so am I cognitively biased?
I have no idea!
BUT I am pretty sure that there is an audible difference between both cables. 

Never tried silver cables. 

(I am well known for criticizing manufactures bluntly as I don't care about establishing relationships with them at all. I pay for my own stuff, I don't have multiple accounts to throw positive comments and I am not a paid commenter/reviewer.)

Aug 3, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #72 of 75
Have been listening to balanced cardas clear on HD800S fed by Oppo HA-1(lossless sources) for couple weeks. Very first time I listened I knew they made a big difference in smoothing out the top end. Treble more euphonic and pleasing to listen to for extended periods. They seem to soften the sound in a way I very much enjoy. 800S always sounded a bit too hard and analytical to really enjoy. Detailed and resolving yes, but after an hour they weren’t “fun” to listen to. Now they are just as resolving but more pleasurable to listen to.

Sep 11, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #73 of 75
I've just got the Cardas Clear Light deal for my HD 800. From my first impression the sound is more natural than the ootb cable, however not losing the broad stage that the HD 800 is capable of.
I will go ahead listening and will post my findings here.
As there was a recent massdrop for Cardas Clear Light maybe others will share their experience as well.
Note: I've also tested the Cardas Cross for the HD 800 before. To me it seemed to be a step backward as the stage got narrowed significantly. Still the Cardas Cross might be an improvement for other headphones where the ootb cable does not yet have a certain quality itself.

Dec 28, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #74 of 75
I've just got the Cardas Clear Light deal for my HD 800. From my first impression the sound is more natural than the ootb cable, however not losing the broad stage that the HD 800 is capable of.
I will go ahead listening and will post my findings here.
As there was a recent massdrop for Cardas Clear Light maybe others will share their experience as well.
Note: I've also tested the Cardas Cross for the HD 800 before. To me it seemed to be a step backward as the stage got narrowed significantly. Still the Cardas Cross might be an improvement for other headphones where the ootb cable does not yet have a certain quality itself.
I was thinking of the Cardas Cross for my HD 660s, so do you think it’s still a step up from the stock cable the headphones came with? I was comparing the cross vs. the clear light.

Dec 28, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #75 of 75
Danger Will Robinson! The nature of pure copper is to slightly change the character of the sound of the headphones. If the phones are bright, that's great. But if they have a warm sound to start, the clear may harm the sound quality. And I truly regret paying all that money for a friggin wire! A cheaper solution would have sounded the same. This was an impulse buy, you know how it go's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back