car-fi
Sep 12, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #1,246 of 1,421
I've always been interested in both trucks and sportscars. My first truck was a 1st gen Tacoma with the 2RZ 4cylinder motor and 5 speed manual. Made for a great daily driver and light hauler. I actually took a performance driving school in it and used it for autocrossing for a few years. I had sold it to a coworker for his son a few years after getting my FR-S since wasn't really driving it any more and it was just sitting around. About 4 years ago I starting thinking about getting another truck though when was wanting to get the FR-S prepped for track duty, but between not liking driving my dad's newer gen Tacoma (I only buy manual transmission vehicles and don't like the changes they did from the first gen to the newer ones, feels like you are driving a bus the way the pedals are setup) and the prices they command used I started looking at alternatives.

Naturally the Frontier came up and for what it offered at a big discount to Tacoma pricing I was sold. I like the boxier looks with shorter front overhang, the fully boxed in and reinforced chassis, the torquey VQ40 6cylinder engine, nice 6-speed gear shifter similar in notchiness/directness to sportscars but with a longer throw, the hand brake lever being what and where it should be (not a freaking T pull handle you have to reach for under the dash). Basically for the price of a bare bones stripped down 4cylinder Tacoma you can get a nicely optioned V6 Frontier, and I did...

I can tell you this for certain, after living with a V6 mid-sized truck for over 3.5 years I won't ever go back to a 4-cylinder 'mini' truck again... world of difference between the two, especially when it comes to towing anything. I like the Frontier more than I liked my first gen Tacoma, and I really liked my '98 Tacoma. I think the 'midsize' truck with a V6/torquey motor is what makes it work. Just the right size, with enough weight to ride really well and a powerplant that is not anemic feeling. My Frontier accelerates quicker than my FR-S did to 80mph (aerodynamics start taking over past 80mph) and makes for a great Interstate cruiser.

And then when the road gets rough, it takes the roughness out of it and makes it fun (providing you keep the unsprung mass [wheels & tires] as light or lighter than stock)... a small light trucks feel like small light sportscars on rough roads and are more prone to being blown around on the highway and less secure feeling in wet conditions. While my FR-S wasn't ever bad in the wet, it was a matter of you having to really manage the rear end as it wanted to move around some, even on tires that perform really well in the wet. In comparison, in the Frontier it just grips and goes around corners in the wet with an extremely planted, solid feel. Whenever I had choice of vehicle to take in stormy, wet conditions I'd always prefer the Frontier.

For offroading trucks, the smaller midsizes are where it's at because you don't want a vehicle heavier or larger dimensioned than it needs to be... which is why you see all the support for the Tacomas, Frontiers, Rangers and not as much for the full sized trucks. The F150 kind of rides the line between being a little too big for serious offroad yet not too big. Then you have your dedicated Jeeps and FJs and the like whose mission is for offroading with onroad being a compromise. I'm not into rock climbing or serious expedition exploring - I just like to go fast and take turns quickly on both paved and unpaved terrain, my Frontier does that well enough for me.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #1,249 of 1,421
It's been a long time since I've checked into this thread :smiley:

This is a picture of one of my toys, taken while I was driving it back home:
IMG_20181028_163655.jpg

Nov 9, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #1,254 of 1,421
I've always wanted to be able to play my mp3s on the OEM car speakers. Finally got a cigarette lighter Imden FM transmitter from Amazon and use it with a Transcend TS-RDF5K USB Card Reader + SDHC microSD adapter. It remembers the last file played, and starts with that (from the beginning). This is fine for single song files, but sucks for my radio program recordings which are :59 long lol.

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #1,256 of 1,421
Seriously considering the GR Yaris to replace my EP3 Civic Type R. It drives amazing for a factory standard car but sadly completely lacking in sound.

The sensible way is just wait a few years when the hype dies down and get a second hand one for cheap.

01_18.jpg

Jan 3, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #1,257 of 1,421
Seriously considering the GR Yaris to replace my EP3 Civic Type R. It drives amazing for a factory standard car but sadly completely lacking in sound.

The sensible way is just wait a few years when the hype dies down and get a second hand one for cheap.

01_18.jpg
Didn't know there was hype with a Yaris. Looks like they applied some design into what I thought was a boring tiny car. So, this thing competes with a Civic type R now?

Jan 3, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #1,258 of 1,421
Didn't know there was hype with a Yaris. Looks like they applied some design into what I thought was a boring tiny car. So, this thing competes with a Civic type R now?

AWD, turbo little rally monster thats shares nothing really with a stock 'Yaris'... I would have loved to have one if they were available in the US.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #1,259 of 1,421
Bespoke chassis, engine, suspension setup and proper AWD system, with a 6 speed manual. It's more effort and commitment than a Civic Type R IMO.

The Yaris badge is only there for show. Shame about lack of sound from the factory. My S660 sounds more interesting than it for sure with a tiny 3 cylinder.

Jan 3, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #1,260 of 1,421
AWD, turbo little rally monster thats shares nothing with a stock 'Yaris'... I would have loved to have one if they were available in the US.

Interesting. 261 horses from a 3 cylinder. If I would trust turbo from any company, it would be Toyota. This means light as hell, so better handling in the track? I'd like to see it in the curved track. I need to see what it can beat in a curved track.

Bespoke chassis, engine, suspension setup and proper AWD system, with a 6 speed manual. It's more effort and commitment than a Civic Type R IMO.

The Yaris badge is only there for show. Shame about lack of sound from the factory. My S660 sounds more interesting than it for sure with a tiny 3 cylinder.
By sound we mean the exhaust sound? I got a 6 cylinder G35, and it sounds really nice out of tunnels.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back