car-fi
Feb 4, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #271 of 1,421
Here is my vehicle, it's a Wrangler Unlimited with some minor mods done to it.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #272 of 1,421
Love seeing another Wrangler Unlimited! Mine's an '09 Sahara Trim in Sunburst Orange. One of these days, I'm going to get it back into the shop and put in a forward winch and rear tow hitch.

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #274 of 1,421

Quote:
Love seeing another Wrangler Unlimited! Mine's an '09 Sahara Trim in Sunburst Orange. One of these days, I'm going to get it back into the shop and put in a forward winch and rear tow hitch.

Post a pic when you get a chance. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #276 of 1,421
Some amazing vehicles in here!!!!

That Yellow SCOUT makes me drool. DON'T ever sell that . I have only ever seen ONE of those locally in sort of close to that shape but never had the $ to pick it up at the time.

From this 1980 a couple of months ago ( owned for 11 years )........

to this 1980 ..My second Mercedes. I had a 4 dr '84 the ex "inherited" right after I spent a 24/7 week removing rust "issues" and repainting.

Told myself I'd never own a car with square lights... this used to have round ones so this doesn't count...Euro lights now. The guy I got it from put close to 10k into it . Have the receipts. He was worse than I am: fussy... This has a later better performing '83 5 cylinder 3 litre diesel ( with a turbo ) which had all the seals replaced about 7,000 km ago. Lowered 2 inches, new billsteins, new brakes, bushings all around, new door and window seals, rustcoating INSIDE the doors. etc Got the original wheels with new rubber on them in addition to these that had new rubber , spare parts up the you know what including a trans and dash, windows. Climate control system disabled except for basics makes for an easy vacuum system troubleshoot. Near mint interior ( no tears anywhere ) with original Becker Mexico radio/cassette deck that works great ! ( Tempted to sell that for a headphone amp or another set of headphones. Too rare though .) Engine you could eat off of. I'm a happy guy. The ride is something to be experienced and due to the new springs and shocks and 2 inch drop it has no roll in corners. Does 150 km/hr like it was 50. I have to avoid swapping the injectors and pump and getting the crazy finnish turbo unit. Straight piping it may be an option after the muffler needs replacing ( that was new too )
but like my friend says "Drive it like you own it , not like you stole it."    Got it for a ridiculous deal in my opinion.

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #278 of 1,421

Quote:
My second Mercedes.

Told myself I'd never own a car with square lights... this used to have round ones so this doesn't count...Euro lights now. The guy I got it from put close to 10k into it . Have the receipts. He was worse than I am: fussy... This has a later better performing '83 5 cylinder 3 litre diesel ( with a turbo ) which had all the seals replaced about 7,000 km ago. Lowered 2 inches, new billsteins, new brakes, bushings all around, new door and window seals, rustcoating INSIDE the doors. etc Got the original wheels with new rubber on them in addition to these that had new rubber , spare parts up the you know what including a trans and dash, windows. Climate control system disabled except for basics makes for an easy vacuum system troubleshoot. Near mint interior ( no tears anywhere ) with original Becker Mexico radio/cassette deck that works great ! ( Tempted to sell that for a headphone amp or another set of headphones. Too rare though .) Engine you could eat off of. I'm a happy guy. The ride is something to be experienced and due to the new springs and shocks and 2 inch drop it has no roll in corners. Does 150 km/hr like it was 50. I have to avoid swapping the injectors and pump and getting the crazy finnish turbo unit. Straight piping it may be an option after the muffler needs replacing ( that was new too )
but like my friend says "Drive it like you own it , not like you stole it."    Got it for a ridiculous deal in my opinion.

Very, very nice. That would be an upgrade I'd totally dig. Particularly the engine part: Turbo Diesel, awesome. I've always liked that model Mercedes. You can be proud.

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #279 of 1,421

Quote:
It's a beautiful, expensive and temperamental thing with the rotary. I love the rotary more than almost anybody but I've just done and seen all there is to do with a rotary short of dropping in a 20B (3 rotor) and it's just not worth it. The engine really isn't all that light and it's really just a poor (granted unique) design.

This is very true.  I was planning to swap it for my Toyota 1zz-fe.  Surprised to find out the 13B ren weighed 25lbs more than the factory 1.8L in my MR-S.  As for design I don't think the rotary is so much a poor design but an unfinished prototype still.  Hard for one of the smallest companies out there to pioneer and develop something so divergent from the reciprocating engine on its own.  The rotary is basically ready for Hydrogen as is though so if it were to take off...doubtful though.  They need a material science breakthrough for the Apex seals me thinks.

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #280 of 1,421
Quote:
wompa164 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

'94 Mazda RX7, currently undergoing LS2 swap
beyersmile.png

Hey, did you drive this to the Houston meet @Sweet Spot? I wish I could have seen it. I was just talking to a coworker today about doing a swap on a RX7. Love it.

Quote:
to this 1980 ..My second Mercedes. I had a 4 dr '84 the ex "inherited" right after I spent a 24/7 week removing rust "issues" and repainting.

What 1980 model is that? Extremely clean and tasteful modding, nice job sir. I would definitely rock that.

I like to do clean too. Here is my Honda gas mule.

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #281 of 1,421
treal512..... that is absolutely awesome!!!!!!!! I see what you mean it is clean...nice as hell. What are you waxing it with? I had some pretty good success with the new Turtle Wax "Liquid Ice" and Clay Bar kit. I think I only washed mine with car wash detergents maybe three times so far. After Clay Barring it and applying the Turtle Wax Ice, all I really have to do is rinse it off then wipe it down and fire on another spray of the ICE if it needs it . It's clear and no residue. Kick ass shine like glass.
What are you using?

Oh it is a 300 CD model . That particular model isn't as common as the 4 doors ( which are cool too I miss my old one ) and for that year didn't come with a turbo, but mine has a different motor with turbo. Don't think they made that many of them.
I am thinking of removing the 300CD emblem on the back trunk when it goes in for a new paint job in a few years( maybe even remove the star too ). Thinking maybe gunmetal metallic grey/charcoal/pewter sort of thing. Friend of mine does high end body and paint.

One thing that I think always ruins the lines on a vehicle is the front licence plate . I had no bracket  and had the licence in the window which looked a thousand times nicer. For some stupid reason I bought the factory bracket and a chrome holder. May take that off again. I think it looks terrible
frown.gif
Can always put it back on if the cops hassle me.

Feb 28, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #282 of 1,421
Haha, thanks Nick! Looks like clean runs in our bloodlines
beerchug.gif

If I am not mistaken, that was after I did a full detail on my car. I first washed it with liquid dish soap to strip the wax and anything else it would grab onto. Next I did a full clay bar clean panel by panel which took foooreeeveeerrrr. Then I masked everything off with blue painters tape and did 1 layer of Meguir's NXT 2.0. Wiped it all off and let it sit in my garage to cure for 12 hours. The next morning I did the 2nd and final layer of NXT wax. Was a lot of work and a pain in the ass, but it was show room worthy after all that lol. The only thing I don't have in my detailing process (yet) is a rotary device so I can polish and glaze. Not all that needed on lighter colors though, so no biggy.

Hey, I was in the same boat as you a while back when I considered debadging the H emblem and spoiler off my trunk. If I were you, I'd remove the model badge, but keep the Merc logo. Either that or keep the model badge and delete the Merc logo. I think when you have a blank car it comes across like you're trying too hard to make it clean (never been impressed by that look). Luckily your star logo looks great, so personally I would just delete the 300 CD. Love the 2 door btw, because like you said, you don't see them very often.

I'm with you on the license thing, but in my last car when I relocated my plate to the dash, I got pulled over by cops at will. With my Civic, I didn't want any hassle so I just lowered it from the OEM location. It really is more trouble than it is worth unless you're going to a car show/meet or your state/country allows it.

Mar 10, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #283 of 1,421

Did you drive this car in the downriver area of Michigan?  I recall seeing a car extremely similar to this all the time.

Quote:
My last (i.e. previous) car:

Eye-catching and fun to drive (it's one of the few Harlequins with a 5-speed) - but way too much trouble.  Rust all over, bad brake lines (had one burst 60 miles from home - drove home with only the parking brake and engine braking), and just plain too much work.

I'm not sure what I'll get next when I get back to the US.  It needs more ground clearance though - I always had trouble with that.  Maybe a Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon, or a diesel Mercedes, or a first gen Isuzu Trooper, Land Cruiser, or a '90s BMW wagon.  Whatever it is, it needs to be able to fit my 4-foot tall speakers in the back, take a rack, and have a stick.  4WD and/or traction control is a bonus, FWD is a definite no-no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back