Car Audio, USB DAC recommendation, 24bit/192khz <$150
Jun 18, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #46 of 62
PS. I totally agree with you on that last part - that having one piece of the chain maxed out isn’t the way to go (at least not in a car, and I personally, if I were going to do that in a home system it would be the speakers, then maybe the amp and cables (not meaning gourmet cables, just not crap). In other words, during recording we care most about the front of the chain (the player > performance > instrument > amp > mic > pre > converter etc) and in playback, the other way around (no point in a $10,000 dac feeding a $50 pair of headphones, better a $300 pair of headphones plugged into an iPod most of the time).

Jun 18, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #47 of 62
ok I'm still not getting how any of this applies to my car setup, I have full range units in the front doors that incorporate a tweeter, the tweeter is located physically in the same place as the mid range driver and looking at my door I don't think I even have space for a separate tweeter.

Even if I squeezed in a separate tweeter it would be a matter of probably 3 to 4 inches from the centre of the mid range driver.

I use my 80 PRS with just a small amount of EQ, so in effect it's just a class D amp, I don't think I'll miss the EQ and I'm saying some better quality front speakers would most likely make up for any loss in the EQ settings I apply.

Tried time alignment on the way home, it sounded ok but when I turned it off, boom - so much better, proper full audio spectrum. Time alignment sounds like a hall effect, seems to recess the vocals as well which is where I EQ at, I've tried so many Dolby this that and the other effects, virtual this that and other, virtual 7.1 and so on, they're all junk in my opinion for music.

Yes I get time alignment for matching speakers positioned in different places but I don't have that and neither do I want it, I'm satisfied with full range units that incorporate a tweeter.

I'd argue that sound clarity is not the same as sound detail, you won't get detail without clarity but I'd say you can have clarity but lacking in detail. For me it's the difference between a 8MP picture and a 20MP picture, the 8MP is clear but hasn't got the detail compared to the 20MP picture, there's just more information there.

So I have reasonable clarity but I'm lacking the detail that Tidal is offering and that's what I want to hear, the detail. I'm frustrated and annoyed that my head unit can't handle 24/96, it wasn't a cheap head unit, so I'm happy to remove it from my audio chain.

BTW listen to an artist called Arlissa, the emotion she conveys is amazing, that's what detail is all about hearing singers like this at max detail with no rubbishy digital pokery and compression.

So I don't see how replacing the 80 PRS class D amp with a better class A/B amp, a 32bit 384Khz DAC and better full range speakers will sound worse or bad and as I've said I'm content with what I currently have just frustrated I can't stream 24bit 96K audio but now everyone will start flaming me because I know nothing and I need DSPs, time alignment, 6 speakers, 3 way speakers, RTA, EQ, pro installs haha flame away :)

And no to class D amps, any amp that creates the output from high frequency pulse width modulation in my opinion isn't up to the job, that's not to say there isn't good class D amps and rubbish A/B ones but class A/B is definitely my preference for driving front full range speakers. Class D for lots of power and low heat - yes, great for driving subs, my current sub shakes all the mirrors, I don't need more bass and no it's not muddy flappy bass it's tight clean bass.

Look it's a modest car audio upgrade, think of it like that :) I won't be taking it to a car audio sound off, it's a budget system that I'll hopefully enjoy listening to. I'm not expecting it to be massive audio boost that you might hear from switching from Spotify to Tidal.

Anyhow I have learnt a lot from this thread, I didn't even know you could buy a separate DSP unit for example, so yeah thanks to everyone.

Jun 18, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #48 of 62
If you’re getting a hall effect with the TA on, that simply means it isn't set right, try nudging the values back and forth. It’s going to sound worse than no TA probably until you land on the right alignment.... btw, no clue what all the Dolby etc stuff you’re talking about is. I think we’re all in agreement to turn all that off.

Instead of using a measuring tape, why don’t you try tuning the TA by ear and see if at a certain setting it suddenly “gels”. When this happens, it should 1) not sound as phasey or “flammed” (a sharp snare hit should reach both ears at same time instead of one side arriving late) 2) it should sound more like the sound is just happening in front of you instead of it coming from 2 separate speakers. You’re basically looking for the point at which it starts sounding more like you’re listening to a single speaker instead of two. To test this, it would possibly help if you had some test tones that are NOT stereo, like some mono samples of hand claps or snares to align the front, and then maybe a mono full drum kit or just kick drum to align the front to the sub.

I think these both are true -
1) Your TA isn’t set correctly, so it sounds bad (there is should be no hall effect when set properly and it shouldn’t push things further away from you).
2) you’re right, DSP is less needed if you don’t have separate tweeters. But it still would help.

I did not realize until quite recently that you had no separate tweeters and are wanting to keep it that way.

What model/year car is it again? And what size (in inches or cm) are the cones in it?

Honestly, I’d probably replace the speakers first, then amp. Sure I still think the hires thing is a bit overkill in your car but that’s your decision, not mine.

To recap, I would -
1) Replace the speakers, look at Morel Integra (tempo or hybrid). Keep an eye on eBay, they go cheaper than you would imagine used. I got some Virtus series (regularly $550) for $130
2) deal with front doors. I would use ResoNix not Dynamat personally. Less product of a higher end product almost always works better if we’re talking CLD (that’s what Dynamat, ResoNix, etc is... so not cheap out and get Peel and Stick or some crap like that, testing has been done and it’s more effective to use less (25% coverage does most of it, beyond this does get better but diminishing returns) of a really good product (ResoNix, Dynamat Xtreme, kolossus) than a ton or even multiple layers of a not so great product... secondly, dealing with backwave from the speakers, it’s quite cheap. See video below as well as forum link if you want to get super into it.
3) get a zapco amp or the sony. DLS and Steg also make decent stuff but im not familiar enough to suggest models.
4) Don’t get overwhelmed, taking your car apart isn’t as difficult as it may seem. I took my doors panels off while back for an unrelated reason and it took 10 minutes tops and nothing but a screwdriver. Getting a tool kit (there’s a 34 piece one, can’t recall the name) from amazon is ~$25

ResoNix (the guy who owns this is my only at the top of this game but is super nice and is NOT greedy or about snake oil)
READ THIS FIRST
https://resonixsoundsolutions.com/reference-information/

Here’s some actual builds
https://resonixsoundsolutions.com/makes/honda/
Notice the foam square for backwave on the thorough one?^ the video below shows the $10ish version of that.

This is the FULL explanation of the video below. Look at this and the doors on the ResoNix site (both accord doors to give you an idea of a super thorough job vs a regular job (which is needed depends on your doors).
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/fo...or-speakers-sound-deadening-more-32679/page7/

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #49 of 62
Example of the Integras at a good price. Not sure what size speakers you need tho.
If you’re patient. The right size will come up for near this price probably.

STEG is another pretty reputable but affordable brand. No one in the US has tried them much so who knows. Fred (on YouTube) raves, but keep in mind he’s a dealer. He might be able to answer basic questions though. They’re as cheap as $70 a pair for the entry level stuff which I would say is likely still better than anything similarly priced by pioneer/jbl/kicker or other stuff you’d get at a mainstream electronic store that’s most likely painted bright colors and looks like a toy (not that that effects the audio quality but it tells you the target market is bump in the trunk type car audio people, not SQ).

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/254214439109

Jun 18, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #50 of 62
My suggestions and prices
1) $70-150 cones morel or Steg
2) $80-200 amp zapco SQ series, maybe Sony
3) —-?? Door treatments? 100-200? This will involve the regular CLD type stuff, some insulation (fiberglass or mineral wool), and various odds and ends like butyl rope and closed cell foams (to seal between front of speaker and door skin - I mean the one closest to you inside)
4) $50 wiring kit for amp
5) ~$25 tools?

I personally would consider splurging for the 4XSQ (190w bridged per side) instead of the 2X (65w) but it depends on the cones too. There’s no issue in using an overpowered amp as long as you don’t drive it full blast.

Other advice -
- Don’t use MDF if you have to make rings for the speakers to fit. Use PVC board from Home Depot - it’s cheap.
- seal the holes in the middle door skin (all that’s shown on the links above)
- get a roller of some sort for applying the CLD, it’ll cut you otherwise.

So totaling in somewhere around $600-700 tops? Not bad compared to cost of one fancy set of headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #51 of 62
Protege, I might suggest for your heart health (meaning literally and metaphorically) to just let him do what he wants.

I'm not totally stopping him, but if he keeps asking for recommendations, I wouldn't recommend anything I wouldn't do without a full understanding of what he expects based on whatever else he has.

So for example, if a friend has no audio background to speak of and says "anything will be better than what the factory put in," then I'm sure he wouldn't whine about effed up imaging and what teensy bit of sibilance he might get, I'd just tell him to get a good coax and a small amp.

However if somebody has an audio background, "I don't expect it to be as good as my home system" is still vague. I do all that stuff in my car without expecting it'll be as good as my home system, for one; I just put in all that work so I wouldn't have the vocals and one guitar plus the bass and more than half the drums on one side and then have the other guitar on the other side.

Think of it this way. People are free to go and get a second opinion from another doctor, but it's malpractice if I deliberately tell somebody to just take painkillers or placebo when what they might expect is closer to "survive" than "at least maybe I'll die in my sleep, peacefully." Same thing in the forums. I can't recommend something I know has a high chance of not working properly without dropping a lot of disclaimers that it can make things worse, which I did at least twice in this thread already, but then he comes back and insists that "GIGO reigns supreme."

He wants to experiment, maybe he needs to hear it for himself. And if all he hears is numbers then let him put an RS9 in there if he wants (we’re just wasting our time if he’s just hearing what he sees). Until he goes and hears well set up cars in the “stock” category or near (low budget), these realities probably won’t sink in.

And this is why I compare it to medical (mal)practice. If I recommend something I already know has a chance of just creating more problems than it solves since it doesn't attack the real problem, or attacks the present problem but ignores the propensity to create other problems, he's going to come back in here railing about how I made him blow money and it's not that much better if not worse in some other ways.

At least, at minimum, when he asked for recommendations for the gear he needs, I put up disclaimers that they might not work, despite how his solution still counted for work that he considered "painful" due to the added complexity (and that complexity if you don't go far enough on it is what creates more problems). Then he just went back into all the "anything that isn't direct analogue path is hogwash" so I had to explain why newer amps have those RJ45 inputs and the crossovers aren't "pure passive analogue" (since they're active), and that using the crossovers on the receiver will still do the ADC-DSP-DAC path that he so considers to be heretical witchcraft...

I mean, I already got the clue and make the recommendation with disclaimers, he can at least meet me halfway on that by not asking me nor presenting an extremely flawed understanding of what I've been saying, like asking why cars need four speakers with two behind when I already drew it up in digital crayon where the four are in front. Hell he even thinks I'm going to block the windshield when the tweeters are 1in diameter on the diaphragm, when 1) I'm sure he's seen tweeters before and 2) even when I said I use large Vifa tweeters for home use in my car, obviously he would have already looked at speakers (ie, the one in my link at least) and seen how tiny the chassis on those is because...well...they're for cars.

I mean, go back to the medical analogy. If a patient just keeps saying he wants Fentanyl when you're saying he probably needs vaccines, the doctor at minimum isn't going to write that prescription, and probably have him put in a jacket and observed in case in two weeks he starts biting and refusing to drink water.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #52 of 62
I get all that, but the analogy goes beyond the instance. He won't die. You can't get sued. Perhaps he loses some $ on resale and wasted some time (his decision/responsibility, and us trying to redirect him any longer toward the common ideal methods would be us deciding to waste ours). If he returns to rail, it's not going to affect my life or yours unless we lack healthy boundaries. We've waved all the red flags more than enough times, but even if we didn't, it's ultimately his responsibility to sift what we're saying anyway (it's the internet and I have no idea who you or he are and probably vice versa). Again, where the medical analogy diverges. A doctor can't be like "I don't care, do whatever you want, look it up on webMD" half way through a discussion if s/he senses the patient might do that. We can and that would be fine as there's no legal/ethical obligation, no payment, etc.

Honestly if he's sticking with coaxials, the 80PRS may have all the DSP he needs (or wants), to the "add amp and speakers (plus some deadening)" probably is the best thing if he doesn't want to get into fabricating parts / active front end / component speakers, etc. If he enjoys it, :ok_hand:.. If he doesn't, the experience will be more convincing than any amount of words.

Jun 19, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #53 of 62
ok I'm still not getting how any of this applies to my car setup, I have full range units in the front doors that incorporate a tweeter, the tweeter is located physically in the same place as the mid range driver and looking at my door I don't think I even have space for a separate tweeter.

Because it got confusing when you said you had a tweeter, I assumed you had a car that came out in 2006 or later which have their own tweeter pods but at teh wrong angle even for their own tweeters and can't fit aftermarket tweeters, and when you said "fullrange but it has a tweeter" (sic) it's even harder to recommend because we can't tell if an aftermarket coaxial speaker can fit wherever it's mounted because aftermarket coax speakers are either crap or have HUGE grills where the tweeters are and might not be able to allow the door panel to go back over it when mounted.

Also I just have even more questions as to how you set up the time alignment directly, because back when I assumed the tweeter was set separately you didn't say how they're wired up exactly, then now turns out it's a coax, but if you had set the 80PRS to full active, how did you wire the tweeter directly to the 80PRS, and most likely you didn't, so there are two outputs on the 80PRS not going anywhere, which can explain your need for clarity, but then you said it was "fine" and you're "satisfied," so now I'm confused why the need to replace anything much less with the obsession for GIGO and 24/96.

Even if I squeezed in a separate tweeter it would be a matter of probably 3 to 4 inches from the centre of the mid range driver.

Geometry.

3 to 4 inches between midwoofer and tweeter matters less if you're sitting 10ft away as the distance from your head to the midwoofer and from your head to the tweeter will have the variance reduced compared to sitting barely two feet away, the head nearly three feet away but higher than both speakers that aren't angled upward...

I use my 80 PRS with just a small amount of EQ, so in effect it's just a class D amp, I don't think I'll miss the EQ and I'm saying some better quality front speakers would most likely make up for any loss in the EQ settings I apply.

OK.

Now I'm even more confused.

If I hook up an HT pre-pro to a Nelson Pass First Watt Class A amplifier, that Nelson Pass First Watt Class A amplifier doesn't turn into a Class D Tripath amplifier. It's still a Nelson Pass First Watt Class A amplifier.

Same thing when you use the Class A/B MOSFET amplifier on the 80PRS. Using EQ doesn't turn it into Class D.

You've got a better chance of turning lead into gold but you need to find the Infinity Gems first and use them on the Infinity Gauntlet than adding EQ miraculously transforms a Class A or A/B amplifier into Class D.

Are you thinking that Class D stands for "Digital?" Because that's marketing fluff riding on the digital bandwagon. There's nothing digital about Class D, it still takes an analogue waveform and then amplifies that waveform.

The closest thing to a digital amp is the newer PWM amps where there is no longer any analogue input, and the DAC feeds directly into the driver stage, skipping what would normally be a DAC output stage that feeds into an amp input stage and then the preamplifier/rectifier circuit.

Tried time alignment on the way home, it sounded ok but when I turned it off, boom - so much better, proper full audio spectrum. Time alignment sounds like a hall effect, seems to recess the vocals as well which is where I EQ at, I've tried so many Dolby this that and the other effects, virtual this that and other, virtual 7.1 and so on, they're all junk in my opinion for music.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's why I'm asking how exactly they're wired to the 80PRS because if your coaxials on the door has only one pair of cables sticking out of it and the tweeter is wired to a capacitor in there, activating 6-Way Time Alignment* or 3-Way*8 Full Active means your coaxial speakers are only getting the signal meant for the midwoofer or tweeter, depending on whether you have that single cable on each side hooked up on the 80PRS amplifier.

6-way Time Alignment doesn't work if you don't have a path from each tweeter and midwoofer to the HU (or a standalone DSP), regardless of whether there's an amp between them and the HU.

*2 x tweeters, 2 x midwoofers, 2 x subwoofers; 5-way with one subwoofer is possible, terminology just highlights that you can set different delays on six speakers to sync
**3-way as in "3-Way per side," Full Active denotes it's actually "6-Way"

Yes I get time alignment for matching speakers positioned in different places but I don't have that and neither do I want it, I'm satisfied with full range units that incorporate a tweeter

That's fine, but you still need to understand that:

1. Better coax speakers might not fit.

2. Obsessing over the DAC quality isn't going to make as much of a difference in upgrade as a better coax much less a proper component set with separate tweeters (assuming this is properly installed/angled, much less time aligned).

I'd argue that sound clarity is not the same as sound detail, you won't get detail without clarity but I'd say you can have clarity but lacking in detail. For me it's the difference between a 8MP picture and a 20MP picture, the 8MP is clear but hasn't got the detail compared to the 20MP picture, there's just more information there.

You're forgetting one thing: noise.

A 20mp Nex-7 can have sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much noise that that noise will obscure details anyway thanks to how they packed the pixel density for the time when packing more than 16mp into an APS-C sensor is a problem. Same thing as in a moving car - you have the engine rumbling, the exhaust, the wind on the tyres and the tyres rolling on the pavement, wind everywhere else, other cars, etc that that added detail isn't going to be audible outside of parking the car and listening with the engine off in an empty parking lot or in an EMMA event where they have the subwoofer blasting people far away and tell everybody to shut up while judging is going on. And even if the details were there you're more likely to hear an out of whack soundstage than those minute microdetails.

You might as well skip the Nex-7 and 10-18mm and just use something like an OM-D E-M5 on a 12mm lens, take five portrait shots sweeping landscape, and just stitch them together in Lightroom.

So I have reasonable clarity but I'm lacking the detail that Tidal is offering and that's what I want to hear, the detail. I'm frustrated and annoyed that my head unit can't handle 24/96, it wasn't a cheap head unit, so I'm happy to remove it from my audio chain

That's because it's for people who don't want to have an out of whack soundstage and can understand that even vinyl has lower resolution but can still have comparable resolution as long as you're not getting distracted by a badly worn out copy that has Snap, Crackle, and Pop on it.

BTW listen to an artist called Arlissa, the emotion she conveys is amazing, that's what detail is all about hearing singers like this at max detail with no rubbishy digital pokery and compression.

All digital is pokery and compression next to vinyl, but in the end if you sit in a proper home system where only the source and source material changes, the format itself as long as you're not using MP3 doesn't matter as much as the mastering. And that's in a quiet room with no reflections and proper pathlengths, which knocks down that 320kbps problem down in a car environment where there is a bigger problem.

Oh and I can hear Jane Monheit breathing just fine in a quiet room even on 16/44.1. Disable the T/A in my (properly wired up) car system and the imaging is all over the place it can't even be called imaging.

So I don't see how replacing the 80 PRS class D amp with a better class A/B amp, a 32bit 384Khz DAC and better full range speakers will sound worse or bad and as I've said I'm content with what I currently have just frustrated I can't stream 24bit 96K audio but now everyone will start flaming me because I know nothing and I need DSPs, time alignment, 6 speakers, 3 way speakers, RTA, EQ, pro installs haha flame away :)

1. It's not a Class D amp

2. Because you're not...screw it, just scroll back. I already painted this out in digital crayon.

3. Explaining something is not "flaming."

And no to class D amps, any amp that creates the output from high frequency pulse width modulation in my opinion isn't up to the job, that's not to say there isn't good class D amps and rubbish A/B ones but class A/B is definitely my preference for driving front full range speakers. Class D for lots of power and low heat - yes, great for driving subs, my current sub shakes all the mirrors, I don't need more bass and no it's not muddy flappy bass it's tight clean bass.

Except the 80PRS isn't packing a Class D amp and amp topology is the least of your problems second only to audio copy and playback resolution.

Look it's a modest car audio upgrade, think of it like that :) I won't be taking it to a car audio sound off, it's a budget system that I'll hopefully enjoy listening to. I'm not expecting it to be massive audio boost that you might hear from switching from Spotify to Tidal.

1. Your "modest upgrade" can complicate the system enough that the only solution will just further complicate it, which you're not willing to accept works and just call it "pokery and hogwash"

2. You can hear the massive differnece from Spotify to Tidal when both left and right channel drivers are equidistant to your head and you're not dealing with a crap ton of reflections and road noise. Otherwise all those other things will just be more audible problems than Spotify's compression will ever be.

Jun 19, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #54 of 62
I get all that, but the analogy goes beyond the instance. He won't die. You can't get sued. Perhaps he loses some $ on resale and wasted some time (his decision/responsibility, and us trying to redirect him any longer toward the common ideal methods would be us deciding to waste ours). If he returns to rail, it's not going to affect my life or yours unless we lack healthy boundaries. We've waved all the red flags more than enough times, but even if we didn't, it's ultimately his responsibility to sift what we're saying anyway (it's the internet and I have no idea who you or he are and probably vice versa). Again, where the medical analogy diverges. A doctor can't be like "I don't care, do whatever you want, look it up on webMD" half way through a discussion if s/he senses the patient might do that. We can and that would be fine as there's no legal/ethical obligation, no payment, etc.

It's not that we'd literally get sued.

It's that it's highly likely he'd come back railing against what he deems "bad advice" after trimming it to fit what he wants against actual good advice, and then maybe convince other people that everybody else is wrong when for all we know the speakers now weren't even wired up properly which explains why even if he used a tape measure to input the distance it sounds even more screwed up with time alignment.

I mean he thinks enabling EQ can magicallly turn a MOSFET A/B amp into Class D. Now imagine having him tell newcomers to the forum that that actually happens.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #55 of 62
ok all the more I post all the more this is getting silly, so I'm going to stop posting, but as I've said thanks for your help / time and I'm sure others will read this post in the future, so it's not time wasted, some great advice and knowledge.

So if you can't understand what I'm trying to achieve or dislike it then fair enough, either you buy into the hires audio 'thing' or you don't, if you don't then none of this matters. There's no other way for me to get hires into my car that I can think of, it has to be phone->DAC->Amp->Speakers. Current head units that you can buy will not allow any form of streaming of Tidal in a lossless format, it's all over compressed bluetooth or 16bit car play or aux in with an AtoD stage likely at 16bit, so I have no other realistic / sensibly priced choice, so even if time alignment was something I must have it's not an option with my hires audio setup. I'm sure in the future head units will support Tidal or Qobuz properly, currently they don't.

As per almost all modern day products such as phones, computers, audio gear, camera's, TV - you name it, you can keep upgrading and keep spending money, some people will just keep throwing money at a hobby to have the latest and greatest regardless of the cost, others will decide to stop at a certain level. So for example headphones, I can spend 1000's if I wanted to, but no, I'm satisfied with cans around the 500 mark, they do the job and give me acceptable quality.

So this is just the same for my car audio, yes a 2 way speaker with a crossover will likely give me better results and maybe in the future I may decide to upgrade to that but I'm satisfied with a more basic setup with less hassle to install, I've got enough to think about with amp mounting, wiring, DAC mounting, volume control mounting, phone charging and a clean 5V to my DAC and so on.

I think you'll find all head units use a class D amplifier, they physically have to for space and heat requirements, the output MOSFETs have to be switched fully on so minimal heat is dissipated, anything less than fully conducting then you've got resistance resulting in heat being generated, so the only way to create an analogue signal from this is to switch the MOSFET fully on then off for varying lengths of time at high speed then add some clever filtering circuitry to smooth out the waveform. If you can find a hifi buff that would recommend a class D amp for his setup I'd be surprised.

Jun 19, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #56 of 62
I get what you’re doing now - the coaxial part is a big mention. The chain you listed makes sense, I’d just swap in “DSP” where you have “DAC”. But, yes, one that runs 192, even used is going to be at least 500 if not a few hundred more or even twice that. I personally would rather have it time aligned (even with coaxials) than have hires in a car. I think CD quality is enough if it’s converted and amplified and “speakered” reasonably well. But to each their own, kudos on that. I don’t really have anything against coaxials (vs. components) and am not sure I buy into the idea that components are always better (if the coaxials can take high enough wattage and also aren’t just cheap junky ones). Technically, phase wise, a coaxials should be more in time (especially ones like the morels where it’s countersunk to be almost flat with the cone - my studio monitors are actually like this, you can’t even see any tweeter really, and the phase and imaging is beyond anything else I’ve heard so far (that’s a statement about my experience, not that my speakers are factually the best out there, probably not). I actually thought about doing coaxial morels but unless I were to fabricate new panels, they would be pointed sideways right into my ankles so that would be kinda useless sounding treble wise I’d imagine.

Kinda regret how much I’ve said in some of these posts now that I get more what you’re doing. I still think TA should be used, but at least with 3 speakers, it’s less than the usual 5-6 (not even including rears, just front and sub(s)). Anywho, good luck with the install.

In addition to the other brands/sites I’ve listed, KnuConcepts makes decent affordable power wiring kits (for amps). Or if you’re going to assemble one yourself, find welding cable. I just found after adding it up, it cost about the same. Use real copper not “cca” (copper clad aluminum) for your power and ground cables. Ground needs to be just as large gauge as your power cable, and the contact point where your ground meets the car body needs to be sanded for good contact (the car metal itself). Putting some dialectic grease on the power connections isn’t a bad idea. You need a fuse located super close to the battery too (like without a foot or so if possible). The fuse is on your power line itself (split the cable and insert a fuse holder). You’ll see it in the amp wiring kits (sold separately from the amps, because once you’ve put it in your car, can swap amps then at will).

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #57 of 62
Ok so I'm not posting here for a flame session like last time, I'm purely posting for others that may come across this thread and wonder how things turned out.

As I said and how I suspected at the time it was a journey of discovery with technical problems to solve, so here's a quick summary.

80PRS out, 2 Channel Alpine amp driving just 2 front stock speakers, 384Khz 32bit DAC, Andriod phone linked via USB driving the DAC, cheap sub with panel amp at the rear. Split the line out from the DAC to the Alpine amp and rear sub.
This sounded good / clean, first thing I noticed was a full low end, either from the amp and / or from removing Bluetooth and / or from getting rid of the 80PRS with junk DSP crossovers, I was initially happy with the improvement. The thing is with hires audio I'm a believer it's not something you can necessarily hear or pin point, it's more of a feeling, a sense of emotion you get when listening, so I wasn't getting it, something was lacking.

The massive change came when I discovered an Android application called 'USB audio player pro', this talks directly to a USB DAC, playing via Android does some junk with re-sampling the audio, the application bypasses all this and it also as a re-assuring option of 'bit perfect' mode. So lesson 1 if you're driving a DAC from an Android phone and streaming hires music you MUST use this application, there's no other option or application.

Replaced the stock speakers with some Pioneer hires speakers, boom next level up, started to sound impressive.

Next realization was the line in on the sub panel amp was filtering out the high end, not by a massive amount but enough to be noticeable, so I went though a load of pain to sort this out, first was high level inputs to the sub, then a headphone amp in between the line out from the DAC and sub, then finally removing the panel amp and replacing with a decent Pioneer amp. Although I had control over the sub I couldn't get the right levels, the Pioneer had a low pass up to 80Hz which wasn't high enough. So next thing was to buy a analogue EQ purely for the sub to give better control.

The other challenge was the DAC was draining my phone battery a lot, this took ages to sort out, the solution was to basically cut the 5V to the DAC and power that externally so that my phone battery wasn't getting beaten up. Also I discovered my phone, likely all phones will either be in charge mode or host mode where it'll discover the connected DAC, as soon as my phone sniffed 5V in it would drop into charge mode and goodbye to the DAC, so that was numerous USB OTG cables and head scratching.

Finally I ditched Tidal for Qobuz, not sure why Qobuz sounds better, perhaps it's because it isn't using MQA or just works better with 'USB audio player pro', but wow Qobuz sounds amazing on everything I play it on, Tidal just sounds flat in comparison.

So I have my phone, with Qobuz, playing via 'USB audio player pro', 768Khz DAC 32 bit, line out directly to the amp driving the front speakers and to the input to the analogue EQ, EQ line out driving the sub amp.

So through some big SQ steps and some smaller ones does it sound better than the 80PRS, hell yes, 100%, do I miss the 80PRS or regret selling it, no chance. It's took a while to get to the stage of enjoying what I've hooked up to the point of taking the long way home on my commute so I can listen longer, I look forward to traffic jams now. Will it stand up to systems costing twice as much or a professional installed system, possibly not, am I happy with the SQ and satisfied, yes 100%, I can honestly say I look forward to going to work so I can listen to my system.

How much have I spent, I'd guess at about $600 in total, a big portion of that was for the front speakers at about $200 also including a new DAC which I didn't really have to buy. The amps aren't top end or expensive but as I said I wasn't looking to spend big sums of money.

So to anyone thinking of doing this, it's very possible but be aware it won't be as easy as installing a head unit, if you're into hires audio I can tell you it'll be worth it.

Possibly the next upgrade will be a new amp for the front speakers, the Alpine is slightly under rated compared to the speakers.

Beyond that I'll be installing a mini PC to drive the DAC running Audirvana with a USB touch screen, this won't be a cheap or an easy upgrade but should give a little jump is SQ and detail.

No flames thanks :)

Dec 5, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #58 of 62
Not a flame, just some information for the common good of other readers.

1) Hires speakers?

2) "Next realization was the line in on the sub panel amp was filtering out the high end, not by a massive amount but enough to be noticeable, so I went though a load of pain to sort this out, first was high level inputs to the sub, then a headphone amp in between the line out from the DAC and sub, then finally removing the panel amp and replacing with a decent Pioneer amp. Although I had control over the sub I couldn't get the right levels, the Pioneer had a low pass up to 80Hz which wasn't high enough"
The LPF (low pass filter) is there on purpose to keep highs and mids out of your sub (anything over the crossover point). Or did you mean something else?

And it's not real clear what you finally ended up with in the signal path to the sub. Still a headphone amp? I'm guessing just DAC to EQ to amp as that should work just fine. Or DAC / DSP to any decent (mono perhaps) amp on the market with built in sub low pass filters (there are lots).

brief matter of opinion
If SQ is the goal, some well regarded amps (some within budget probably, some not) are -
Zapco ST-2X, 4x, 6x (SQ versions of those or regulars),
Sony 4 channel (can't recall name but it's $100-150 on sale new I think)

And speakers wise, if budget allows, even used -> Morel, Focal, Hybrid Audio Technologies (Hat), Audible Physics (probably too much $)... and personal opinion, stay away from polypropylene cones if you like midrange / guitars. Paper/pulp of some sort usually works well... That's not a specific note about your pioneers. I know nothing about them. I personally just try to avoid the big box store brands (JBL, Alpine, etc), for speakers in particular, maybe amps too, tho less mission critical per se (of course this is headfi, "everything is critical" but that's IF your budget is unlimited, ha).

None of this is to flame, just give some feedback from someone slightly more familiar w/ the car audio world... I'm actually setting up a similar system in some senses (no head unit, digital player linked digitally to the DAC).
Hiby R3 player (cheapest coax, hires too) > coax to Helix DSP Pro > Zapco amp > Morel / Hybrid Audio cones. Low features, high quality.

Dec 6, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #59 of 62
Yes hires coaxial speakers designed to extend well beyond 20KHz Pioneer TS-Z65F, I know you'll probably say these are garbage but with all this stuff you've got to stick a pin a map and go for it. All products these days have negative reviews, that's what I went for, at least they aren't $30 cheap crap.

Signal path to the sub is DAC->cheapish analogue EQ->Pioneer 4ch in bridge mode powering 2 x 12inch sealed subs. Here I figured I only need 500Hz ish so I can get away with cheaper components. I removed the headphone amp because it wasn't giving me reliable signal levels, I had to keep adjusting the volume. In fact I had fun with the EQ because that has sub output and full range output, I ended up mixing the sub and high range out together with a simple resistor network. I have now excellent mid bass slam, some nice kidney punches, I do fear for the physical damage it's doing to my car though.

The low pass filter on the cheap sub panel amp I reckon had a simple RC filter on the line in, so I reckon it was assumed you'd connect your line in on the sub to the pure sub line out on a head unit, so although I had treble it was a dull treble at high volume.

I'm reasonably sure the Alpine amp (Alpine BBX-T600) now is the weakest link in the SQ chain but I have space constraints for this amp, so I am limited to what I can upgrade to. It has to be roughly the same size as the current Alpine.

I'm in no rush to make any big changes as I'm well happy with what I've got.

Dec 6, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #60 of 62
I didn't fully follow every detail of the sub part still but it's not terribly important.

500Hz crossover is, *unusual* (no flame here) in any subwoofer in any audio field (car, studio, live, hifi). I mix albums (and live sound) for a living. Whomever mixed whatever you're listening to almost unquestionably didn't intend it to be mono up to 500Hz (unless the record itself is only in mono). But hey, we know some people will be listening on mono playback systems or near that, so... There are other reasons to not crossover that high but your music is for your enjoyment, not mine. Have fun :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back