Car Audio, USB DAC recommendation, 24bit/192khz <$150
Dec 6, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #61 of 62
Well I said 500Hz that's more of a finger in the air guess, the subs I have are low end but unusual by the fact they're spec'd to respond to 1.5Khz and I can definitely hear he low end of the vocals through them so I can believe the specification of these subs is correct. Of course I don't want any vocals coming out of the subs, hence the EQ for the sub and amp, but they can extend well beyond your typical sub that is spec'd at 200Hz. So I have my Alpine with the high pass enabled to take the low end off my front speakers and filling in with an extended response from the subs. In terms of the exact crossover frequencies I can't tell you, it's all analogue adjustments, I've set it up to my personal preference of what sounds correct. Although just like with a head unit there's many times I've decided to tweak the levels, I find it's always a battle to reign in the bass, I like lots of punchy bass but too much can just over power all the other parts of the audio spectrum.

It's reassuring that I've tried the parametric EQ from USB audio player pro and like with my home setup I've always turned it off because it doesn't sound as clean or detailed or correct. I think I also have some chance of audio problems from the current drain from the bass amp i.e. voltage drop to my front speaker amp - I need a capacitor on my battery, all good fun though and part of the journey. That is I can't hear any problems but when your head lights start dimming to the bass you know you're not in a good place.

Dec 6, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #62 of 62
Check your grounding for all amps involved, to the chassis, sand the paint off at the point of contact.

As to the 1.5K etc sub discussion, vocals can extend down to 200 and beyond, just FYI. Subs are typically set to 80 at most for an SQ system, perhaps a hair higher. But it sounds like punch is the goal here now flat(ter) response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back