Can't decide on sound card.
Aug 16, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #61 of 70
I don't play Battlefield, but if you link me to the RightMark suite I'll try it out when I have time. The games I do have, I haven't noticed any losses over the X-Fi in terms of fidelity or whatever with games. No idea about the USB one - looks interesting, especially if you have a console as well. Love the lack of mode-switching and that nightmare!

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #62 of 70
Quote:
lol overclocked monitor - that's a new one. At least for an LCD. Anyways, at 60 hz (which is what I figured), your field rate will make those 200-300-400 fps values worthless (even on a 120hz display it makes them worthless). Simple mechanics. So don't worry about fps minimums over 60.
Le sigh.
Look up Amdahl's Law. It makes a difference iff the application can lend itself to being spawned out and there isn't a stability issue, but if you have frame dependent data or other issues with AFR/SFR and can't run ASMP, you will take a huge hit. At absolute best in a perfect world scenario, you'll realize like 70% per core (and this seems to translate up to four, which is the top of the mark for FSR-MP setups, bigger systems go to OOR and usually SCREAM (but you'll spend a quarter million bucks and it'll need a 480V line - oh yeah and it won't do Direct3D, that's another minor detail), which is commendable, but if you already get 100+ FPS (which you do), it doesn't matter. Even if you could see it (which you can't), your monitor can't put it up. So there's that.
To give you a giggly real-world example - I can put up Halo at ~400 FPS with three GPUs, but seriously who the hell cares? It stops being "more good" at 60 FPS stable, and I can do that with a single chip on 1/4th the power with less than half the noise - so why spend the extra bread? Same idea applies everywhere else. And 32XFSAA runs like hammered hell on everything; fun to watch on an XHD and all, but when you're tapping out like 900-1000W from the wall for 31 FPS and choppy gameplay, blech.
You don't wanna run an SMPS at 80% or higher - that's inefficient (I don't care about badges), for what you're describing you want a bigger PSU. Especially with the overclocking.
Here's the thing:
Vsync will lock your FPS to field rate (which is what you want at the end of the day but we don't care for the purposes of this discussion). The other stuff, meh, AF has been relatively free for about a decade, and AA is nice but with most titles thanks to ye olde RSX, you have no real need for that much power. And in a year or two when Microsoft gets up and does something, we'll be dumping all of this gear in a sinkhole and burying it because it'll instantly go outmode. SLI and CF *are* minimal for real-world applications because you either gain performance you don't need or can't realize, or you spend money to try and run something you can't run.
I would...not do SSDs in RAID0 with any data you remotely care about (I wouldn't use RAID0 for any data you care about at all actually - it should not have the R in the name).
redface.gif

Looks neat.
smily_headphones1.gif

Flip a coin between Recon and Titanium.
And I'll lay you odds that said GTG spec is still faked (they ALL lie, it's not against a given product). Try this out:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5402&seq=1&format=2
You'd need three, but it'll give you the most adjustment, and you can get the height right.
This is prettier:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=9259&seq=1&format=2
This is fancier:
http://www.ergotron.com/Products/tabid/65/PRDID/522/language/en-US/Default.aspx (but will only do two monitors at that size)
I'd probably go with the first option. Things should be cheap.

I was never talking about 500 FPS. That is over the top and dumb. Like buying a 1200W psu for 2 way SLI and an i5. lol You sure do like comparing 500 fps old games to 60 fps new games. I need 2 GPU because I plan on running 3 27" monitors at 60 FPS maxed settings around 4000+ resolution. Maybe 4096x2160 or higher if it allows. Crysis 3 is coming out and Crytek plans on melting everyone's computer. Have you seen the new Cry 3 engine!? The stuff it can do is mind boggling. http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/crysis-3-melt-pc-crytek/

That is just one of the many videos displaying is power. Here is a better one.

I get wood every time I watch it. My dream from years ago is to be on a big name company like CryTek, Bethesda, Blizzard, Bioware, etc., and make games for a living but honestly Bethesda or Crytek and I would probably melt like a school girl and go on vacation to release my excitement. (First I need to finish college! lol)

Thanks again for all your help. You honestly use too many acronyms in which I google and cant find the answer or I just don't know in general. (I was in the army and I've heard too many acronyms in the last 7 years lol) Also thanks for the display stands but I am looking for one that does 3 27" on one stand. I've only found them on table mounts but my desk is much too nice and I don't think it could support the weight hang off the end in the back. I need a stand with a base too it.

Still unsure on sound cards. I just need one that does amazing positioning. lol How about we start there?

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #63 of 70
Quote:

Well, my concern with the Recon3D would be the integrated DACs, ADCs, and whatnot which can't hold up to the Titanium HD's discrete parts...on paper, anyway. But as we all know in the field of audio, it's never that simple.

That, and if it does do DirectSound3D and OpenAL in software, how does that hold up to the X-Fi's hardware-accelerated implementation in sound quality terms? Have you tested it in RightMark 3DSound's positional accuracy test or anything else like that? Can you max out the sound quality settings in Battlefield 2 or 2142?

On the other hand, it looks like they've ditched the annoying mode-switching thing, and the mode lock bug along with it. No worries about being in the right mode to have the features you want.

I feel as if I'm the only one who can answer the questions I have about the Recon3D cards through hands-on experimentation, but I'd need one first. Care to lend me one to audition, along with your Koss ESP/950 setup? (Yeah, like that's ever happening...who would just lend $100+ sound cards to random people on the Internet to review, let alone expensive electrostatic headphone systems? I seriously want to put both to the test at some point, though...)

Actually, now that I remember about it, the Recon3D USB is of special interest to me if it can do all the DS3D/OAL/EAX/etc. stuff effectively through a USB connection, while also making a nice Astro Mixamp alternative for S/PDIF sources like consoles. Have you ever tried one of those and compared it to its PCI-Express sound card kin?

I might buy the Recon3D and send it to you to test. I don't mind the risk and I honestly doubt you or Purp or bob the Treky would steal someones SC. You enjoy this site too much. lol Plus if I bought it now and had it shipped to you first to test, I couldn't use it anyways for a few more weeks as I am tearing apart and rebuilding my PC.

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #65 of 70
Quote:
I might buy the Recon3D and send it to you to test. I don't mind the risk and I honestly doubt you or Purp or bob the Treky would steal someones SC. You enjoy this site too much. lol Plus if I bought it now and had it shipped to you first to test, I couldn't use it anyways for a few more weeks as I am tearing apart and rebuilding my PC.

I'll be glad to take up your offer if you're actually OK with it!

Creative just announced some new Sound Core3D-based cards to try and win us Head-Fi folk over, by the way. It appears that these, and NOT the Recon3D cards, are the ones they intended to replace the X-Fi Titanium HD with, while the Recon3D seems pitched to displace the X-Fi Titanium (non-HD) line.

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #66 of 70
Yea, I betting that's where the daughter card that was original for the titanium HD, Ran to. As there highest model has the daughter card that went mission for the Ti-HD.

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #67 of 70
I was never talking about 500 FPS. That is over the top and dumb. Like buying a 1200W psu for 2 way SLI and an i5. lol You sure do like comparing 500 fps old games to 60 fps new games. I need 2 GPU because I plan on running 3 27" monitors at 60 FPS maxed settings around 4000+ resolution. Maybe 4096x2160 or higher if it allows. Crysis 3 is coming out and Crytek plans on melting everyone's computer. Have you seen the new Cry 3 engine!? The stuff it can do is mind boggling. http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/crysis-3-melt-pc-crytek/

It's all relative. There is no future proof, etc.

Regarding the 1200W PSU comment - that's not as nutty as you think. Look at the e-curve for an SMPS. Running the multi monitor setup - harder to say, you're still exponentially increasing the compute load without exponentially increasing the processing power, and are still going to be kicked in the butt by good'ole Gene Amdahl. I like monoliths.

I get wood every time I watch it. My dream from years ago is to be on a big name company like CryTek, Bethesda, Blizzard, Bioware, etc., and make games for a living but honestly Bethesda or Crytek and I would probably melt like a school girl and go on vacation to release my excitement. (First I need to finish college! lol)

Thanks again for all your help. You honestly use too many acronyms in which I google and cant find the answer or I just don't know in general. (I was in the army and I've heard too many acronyms in the last 7 years lol) Also thanks for the display stands but I am looking for one that does 3 27" on one stand. I've only found them on table mounts but my desk is much too nice and I don't think it could support the weight hang off the end in the back. I need a stand with a base too it.

Still unsure on sound cards. I just need one that does amazing positioning. lol How about we start there?

I'd go Recon, but that's me. I like simple drivers.

w00t w00t! Somebody came through and found me this!

http://shop.easymountlcd.com/Deluxe-Triple-Monitor-Stand-Free-Standing-up-to-28-002-0020-002-0020.htm

I finally have my monitor stand with an actual base for hella cheap.

Edit. Hmm I guess I could have edited my post instead of posting new ones each time. oh well

Cool stand! Forgot to mention - you can buy those VESA mount points and build your own stand if you're handy with a pipe cutter or power drill (or both) - that looks like roughly what they've done there (in a clean package), :D.

I'll be glad to take up your offer if you're actually OK with it!

Creative just announced some new Sound Core3D-based cards to try and win us Head-Fi folk over, by the way. It appears that these, and NOT the Recon3D cards, are the ones they intended to replace the X-Fi Titanium HD with, while the Recon3D seems pitched to displace the X-Fi Titanium (non-HD) line.

Neat. $1 says ZxR has a TPA6120 hiding behind those specs - why do I say this? I've seen them spec'd out enough. What I really like though - "speaker calibration" - I noticed the Recon cards do real bass management (something the X-Fi lacks, and something the Asus cards lack), and was wondering if that might be coming down the pipe. You won't see me upgrading anytime soon, but it's a very neat prospect. Ninja - if this is actual auto-cal, with EQ and all that, I'd wait for the ZxR.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #68 of 70
I won't and can't argue with you about sound or sound cards, but... I can and will argue out CPUs. You listed a moderate argument but the i3, i5, and i7 again are completely different architecture on an extreme level so to speak.
Some guy on yahoo put it best:

The i3 is a moderate processor useful for most people looking to play videos, music, internet browsing, spread sheets, etc. Not use for any intensive purposes and thus set at a lower price range.
The i5 is more geared to gamers as it has hands down the best price to performance ratio. Not to mention the i5-2500k and i5-2550k have some of the highest OCs achieved on consumer grade cores.
The i7 is geared more to hyper-intensive users. I.E. Where hyper threading is required such as folding, audio or video editing, rendering, etc. The increased threads don't do much for gamers but are extremely helpful in other professions or uses. 
The i7 Extreme (commonly known as 2011) is used in home servers as opposed to a Xeon server chipset used in profession servers. The i7e sporting hex core technology is best used for over the top gaming rigs, folding, and other high processor demanding situations where the CPU is most commonly the bottleneck in the system.

Saying that the cores are all set on each other is an over statement but a rough summarization all in all. The first three core are all 1155/1156 sockets, while i7e is 2011. They have different cache rates, L2, L3, core clocks, multiplier levels, base clock, memory controller settings, PLL voltages, Vcore settings, watt ratings, threads, graphic freq rates, etc.
i3 and i5 don't support hyper-threading while i7/i7e do.

Saying that they are the same processors is completely incorrect. Saying that you don't need an i7 to game is completely correct. i5-2500k/i5-2550k is the best gaming CPU. Better than IB due to heat spreader mishaps, etc. I hope this clears up any misconception or confusion for anyone.

Back to sound cards! :deadhorse:
Agreed.

I'm talking about the "plays best on i7"
it's a advertisement

BTW the i9 is not real
I'm also have a+, net+ server+ certifications and know what I'm talking about

true the i5 2500k beats most Bloomfield i7's
the cpu's are about the same, only real differences is core count, cache amount and clock speeds with cpu's of the same core architecture
go look up cpu core architecture before you post
the i3's also have hyper-threading lol see pic http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/core-i3-2100t/cpuz-2500.png

edit
take the 2500k vs 2600k
the mane differs is that the i7 has 2 more Mb of l3 cache and HT'ing, add those two things to a 2500k and you have a 2600k more of less
that about the same with all i5 vs i7 with the same core architecture
the same if you the i3, less cache and cores
hex core technology are a waist in gaming, tell my 5 good games with full smp 6 support

I'm done trying to get water from a stone, I'm comptia certificated on these things. and I know I'm right

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #69 of 70
Quote:
I'm talking about the "plays best on i7"
it's a advertisement
BTW the i9 is not real
I'm also have a+, net+ server+ certifications and know what I'm talking about
true the i5 2500k beats most Bloomfield i7's
the cpu's are about the same, only real differences is core count, cache amount and clock speeds with cpu's of the same core architecture
go look up cpu core architecture before you post
the i3's also have hyper-threading lol see pic http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/core-i3-2100t/cpuz-2500.png
edit
take the 2500k vs 2600k
the mane differs is that the i7 has 2 more Mb of l3 cache and HT'ing, add those two things to a 2500k and you have a 2600k more of less
that about the same with all i5 vs i7 with the same core architecture
the same if you the i3, less cache and cores
hex core technology are a waist in gaming, tell my 5 good games with full smp 6 support
I'm done trying to get water from a stone, I'm comptia certificated on these things. and I know I'm right

Yeah I know it was a joke...
rolleyes.gif
Sarcasm is lost on you.

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #70 of 70
I have a Xonar  DSX on order should be here at end of week I hope it will   sound a lot better than onboard sound .  I have low impedence 32 ohm phones KRK KNS 8400 
 M audio interface is on the other computer they sound way  better on that than the onboard Realtec on this box . So I will try the  soundcard. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back