Can't decide on a pair of in-ear headphones.
May 17, 2013 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

xTIRO

New Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of V-Moda Bass Fréq Metals that I got for $35 and I was looking to get another pair of headphones that aren't so overwhelming on the bass and sound better.

I was thinking of getting the ME Electronics A151, ATH-CKS55BK, Klipsch Image S4 or Phiaton PS 20, or maybe something else that's suggested around the $50-$100 price range, but I can't really make up my mind nor do I know what the sound quality would be like.

I listen to a lot of EDM, reggae and underground and old school hiphop (Atmosphere, Tribe Called Quest, Grieves, DOOMTREE, Talib Kweli) so I wanted some in ears that are more all around rather than bass crazy like pretty much all v-moda models.

help, please?

May 17, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 2
First off -  http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
Multi-IEM Review - 281 IEMs compared (VSonic GR07 BE and R02 Silver Added 05/15/13 p.688)
In case you haven't found these - other places to ask questions regarding portable gear.

The PS20, CKS55, or the S4s are definitely less of an "all-rounder" and more along the lines of bass crazy, though certainly not as "crazy" as the Freqs. The A151s are very much balanced in the grand scheme of things but the difference might be a bit jarring . Balance can correlate to a great deal of things, as long as there isn't any particular emphasis over one area that overwhelms the others - the A151s certainly do this, but they can be perceived as bass-light as well. 

If you are open to other choices, the X10 can generally strike a good balance overall but retains a lot of the bass presence that you're used to without being overwhelming (Amazon lists it for 135 ATM but the price fluctuates). Of course if you are open to markedly less bass presence, that's actually fine as well - it might take some time getting used to but you might find out in the end that you might actually prefer that, who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back