cant decide on a new source.. dac or card
Dec 23, 2008 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ooeric

Head-Fier
gonna upgrade..
dont know to stick with higher end sound cards, or go dac
i know i can use search. but the threads are just WAYYYY too long or too much to read.
gimme a straight forward easy to understand answer please.

if i go soundcards.. itll prob be a toss up in between esi julia, maudio 192, or emu 1212m

if i go dac,, heard a bunch of good things about Valab NOS dac and the Zero dac.

everything listed here is in between the 150-200$ range,, so im only gonna purchase 1 thing.

current gear is maxxed PPA amp to HD650

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 19
I say go with the Julia. Dependable drivers and a little bit better than the AP192 for audiophile playback. The EMU 1212 is slightly better but way less convenient for casual use.

Dec 23, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooeric /img/forum/go_quote.gif

DAC.

Dec 24, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #5 of 19
It's easy to get an external USB DAC, but some people complain about hearing computer noise through USB. That usually means an optical connection works better, which in many cases means you need a new sound card anyway.

You've got good cans, so I'd still go with an external DAC.

Dec 24, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dac using optical.

This.

A DAC keeps computer noise out of your signal, especially when you're using optical. Noise thrown off by your power supply won't be picked up by or travel through an optical cable.

Dec 24, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 19
Are USB DACs always that bad?

I built a BantamDAC and had horrible hum when I ran it through my MHSS. I broke one of the regulators and the DAC trying to troubleshoot it, so I'm building another Bantam (actually 2, one for a coworker). Am I going to be disappointed?

I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject today, and it sounds like spdif is a more preferred medium to transfer the data from the PC to the DAC?

Guess I'll be building something like the y1. Any other DIY DACs that accept inputs other then USB?

Dec 24, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 19
At the price of a Bantam, you obviously won't be disappointed. It's a nice DAC by the way, even around the $100 level. Your build obviously had some issues with your SS.

I don't say standalone DAC must be better than internal soundcard, considering the price, a sound card will generally offer MUCH better bang/buck. I like my $75 AudioTrak HD2 soundcard quite a bit more than some of the $200 DACs I've heard.

Personal preference and experience has brought me to a simple conclusion.

CMI8738-based card output S/PDIF to an older, used "CD" DAC off eBay (44.1kHz DACs are cheap these days and most people have not adopted SACD or DVDA so 24/96 is useless).

Dec 24, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 19
So ideally I want an internal soundcard with a TOSLINK output?

hmmmm, I'll have to look around for DACs that can accept this. I like the DIY philosophy, so that's part of the reason I've stayed away from internal soundcards. (other reasons are noise, bad clock timing, etc)

I know a lot of folks like to use CDs or Vinyl, but I am not willing to give up the convenience of FLACs. Right now I'm using a couple iPods to feed my MHSS, but even that is less convenient then accessing PC storage. The sounds from the Ipod through the MHSS into 580s(650s arrive on Monday!) is wonderful! I have no hum or hiss, but there is an intermittent buzzing sound. I think it's the PS of the MHSS though.

My plan was to build the Bantam inside another amp (leaning towards a SOHA right now). Now I'm concerned that USB will always be noisy
frown.gif

Dec 24, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooeric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gonna upgrade..
dont know to stick with higher end sound cards, or go dac
i know i can use search. but the threads are just WAYYYY too long or too much to read.

if i go soundcards.. itll prob be a toss up in between esi julia, maudio 192, or emu 1212m

if i go dac,, heard a bunch of good things about Valab NOS dac and the Zero dac.

everything listed here is in between the 150-200$ range,, so im only gonna purchase 1 thing.

current gear is maxxed PPA amp to HD650

had same dilema myself about a year ago.
came on here, followed advice, and would not go back!
DAC everytime!
its an addictive carry on, and expensive. (but who cares
wink.gif
)

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 19
ok now.. after reading up the easy answers xD

if i go DAC,, should i just get the DAC

or would it be best to still get a soundcard with a nice coax or optical and also the DAC to connect that to.

my motherboard actually has a optical and spdif jack on the back panel.. but i dont think using that as a source isnt the best route.

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #14 of 19
Tell us your motherboard brand and model and we can investigate. The SPDIF output may be OK. Older MBs with AC97 audio have crappy SPDIF, always at 48khz and 16-bit max. A good SPDIF source will use a pulse transformer on the coax output and is capable of 96khz or even 192khz with 24-bit data.

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell us your motherboard brand and model and we can investigate. The SPDIF output may be OK. Older MBs with AC97 audio have crappy SPDIF, always at 48khz and 16-bit max. A good SPDIF source will use a pulse transformer on the coax output and is capable of 96khz or even 192khz with 24-bit data.

How will 96khz or 192khz help if my ripped CD was only 44khz to begin with?
Is it sort of like having a frequency response that extends beyond 20hz and 20khz means that it is easier for the device to operate in the range that matters? ie having the ability to output at 192khz means it's not working hard to give you 44khz.

I'm really interested in this thread as well. After reading this and some other threads, I'm concerned that a USB DAC has some serious limitations. I've started looking into soundcards with an optical TOSLINK output. This seems to be the ideal, no? The E-mu 0404 looks like it might be a good choice, but it might be overkill. I'm looking for something that uses it's own crystal instead of the motherboard's clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back