Can't decide birthday treat for myself...
Aug 5, 2008 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Navyblue

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been researching since two months ago, I thought I was insanely too eager, but apparently I am not, because I still can't decide what to buy for myself. Not because I don't know what to get, but because there are too many things that I want.
biggrin.gif

I am a rather sentimental person, I attach certain importance to my birthday gift.
biggrin.gif
I would not buy my birthday gift used. And I will not sell it (at least to my very best), so it has got to be something that I'd be happy for a really long time.

Here are my list:

- Sennheiser HD650

I guess it'll be nice to have something with a different flavour to my AKG K501. I'm also hoping that it's smoothening character would make some bad recording a little more palatable than what my K501 render. It somewhat meet my birthday treat requirement because I don't like to buy a headphone used. The downside is I might not like its sound, and it would be a disaster if I can't sell it, but I don't really know.

- Marantz CD5001 / CD6002

I am using a beat up old Sony CDP-XE200 right now. Not that I find anything wrong with it. But when I turn up the volume to insanely high level it hisses. At normal listening volume it is fine, but it some what bothers me. Theoretically this sort of thing would affect dynamic range, but would replacing it gives me audible improvement? This is something I rather doubt, though I haven't head anything better on my system either. But if I get it, it is very likely that I keep it and use it till it is really dead. The downside is this is something that I don't mind buying used, which will save me a few bucks if I were to get it as a non-birthday treat for myself.

-Little Dot Mk IV or MK V or Darkvoice DV332

I don't have dedicated headphone amp. I am also in need of a preamp at the moment. The downside is this is something that I don't mind buying used, which will save me a few bucks if I were to get it as a non-birthday treat for myself. And I have plans to DIY a Bijou or a Beta 22 or a CKKIII sometime later and it would be quite useless after I have better amp. And am I right to assume the DIY stuffs would be better?

Someone please give me more argument for or against those that I mentioned, or you can further complicate my life by adding more suggestions. And no, I am not going to flip a coin.
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been researching since two months ago, I thought I was insanely too eager, but apparently I am not, because I still can't decide what to buy for myself. Not because I don't know what to get, but because there are too many things that I want.
biggrin.gif

All of the above ?
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 27
I would get the Hd650's or maybe some HD600's. I have both the 580's (very similar to the 600's) and the 501's. While the 501's sound great for alot of music I still like the 580's better for bands like tool, NIN, Depeche Mode, etc. I think the Senn's, with a good amp, have better dynamics while the 501's have better mids and fluidity.

Aug 5, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 27
We have the luxury of getting good prices for Marantz here locally, CD5001 cost about that price brand new here. Which is the reason that I pick Marantz instead of NAD or Cambridge Audio. Of course there is also the reputable headphone out.

CD6002 appears to be quite different in specification compared to CD5001 or even the CD7001, including the opamp used in the headphone section. I hope it is a change for the better. It also does not play SACD like the other two. I haven't heard much about it, so far I only heard one comment that it is audibly superior to CD5001. But personally I am a little skeptical in hearing significant difference with different sources in general. Comments?

Aug 5, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 27
Definitely the amp (pick one, I have LD MKIII and it already sounds great!) and then the HD650. The HD650 doesnt shine without a good amp, not sure if I can recommend it knowing that you don't have one.

Aug 5, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #9 of 27
I'd go for the Beta 22, you could use that for HP amp, pre, or speaker amp. Of course that gives you nothing new for now. Buy a Samsung P2.... and save up for the Beta.... or geta decent CD player.... one that will play SACD and Audio DVD's and everything.

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #12 of 27
I like all of your recommendations! I think the HD-650 is a terrific contrast to the K-501. Yes, it is different, but it is a superb can. Think of it as going to the Italian restaurant instead of the Chinese. Both are great cuisines, they are different, and you can love both.

Or how about some tools for DIY? Maybe a tube tester? Drill press? There are always more tools to be had.

I'm hugely biased, but go for a DIY amp. The ones you mentioned are very good, and I like the Sorta open source nature of them. When you have a lot of eyeballs looking at the designs they tend to be much better. Also, much more wife compatible. You can usually slip $40 or $50 of parts in without attracting notice. Then get her input on the casing - tell her that you're not sure what would fit with the rest of the house and ask for suggestions. Then do what she says. Also, she'll like something you built more than something you bought.

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #13 of 27
I just auditioned the HD650 and the HD600, this time "properly" driven. I read a lot about them, expected them to be quite different, but to my ears they are surprisingly similar to each other, and the difference to my K501 is certainly there, but not as much as I expected. I guess that's the problem of reading too much online review.
biggrin.gif

It leads me to think that may be what I want to achieve (which is smooth, thick and rich sound, as opposed to the dry and airy sound of my current setup) would be better achieved with another amp than another headphone. Because I realise that the Sennheisers can sound dry too. But the Senns are nice too, and with the limited listening I prefer the HD650 to the HD600.

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #14 of 27
CDP. It is more likely to keep the source a long time than say headphones. But then you already have some gear I'm not familiar with. Maybe the amp is the way to go. You can buy the cans the next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back