Can't decide birthday treat for myself...
Aug 7, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #16 of 27
Well, financially speaking, it's a gift from me and my wife. But we ask each other what we want so that we won't end up with something that we don't like. Since I'll be picking it for myself, in a way it is a gift from and for myself. It kinda depends on how you see it.

If it is the headphone, it'd be the HD650.

If it is the CDP, I'm not decided between CD6002 (newer, better) or the CD5001 (plays SACD). Heard good things about the Oppo as well, and is within budget.

Since I heard the HD650 yesterday, I've been leaning towards CDP today. But towards the end of the day, HD650 is catching up hard and fast.

Today is D-day minus 3. Which will be the winner?
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #17 of 27
Zero DAC/AMP. that way when you build your CKKIII you can use it's DAC function. That is, until you build a Buffalo DAC!

Aug 8, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #18 of 27
as for headphone choice, I know you are looking for something compliment to you K501, but HD650 is way too dark IMO, I'd go for HD600. I have both for quite while, and still listen to them occasionally, I prefer HD600 every single time. Maybe it's just me.
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #19 of 27
First the pay-per-view mud wrestling video with Pamela Anderson and Paris Hilton. Then go with the HD650's and the amplifier of your choice. :wink: Edit: substitute wrestlers to taste.

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #20 of 27
I auditioned both the HD600 and the HD650. To me the HD600 is a tad bright and I prefer the HD650, though in absolute sense they are very very similar sounding, to me at least. But I wished that HD650 was even thicker and richer sounding (to contrast my K501). I tired them with SS amp and they sounded pretty dry to me. Which got me thinking if I should get a tube amp and stick with my K501 instead of getting the HD650. Of course ideally would be to get both the tube amp and he HD650. It's kind of a priority question.

As for Zero DAC, I looked into it and considered it for sometime, and decided that Zero DAC + HDAM would cost more than a CD5001 (which uses HDAM too, but of course not all HDAM are equal). And I still have to get a transport. How would they compare? Nobody seems to have compared Chinese Budget DAC with "name brand" budget CDP in general. But if I were to shoot in the dark I'd pick name brand stuffs.

Aug 8, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its funny how you say if you dont like the 650 what will you do as you wont be able to sell it lol!

Yea so far on my birthday things I get are things that I think I'd use for a long time. This consideration often goes higher than my immediate needs.

Ok, I confess, none of them are actually "needs".
biggrin.gif

In fact, we just bought a TV as my PC monitor, and I insist that it is not to be my birthday gift as it is a necessity (well, sort of
tongue.gif
). In my book a TV and a wallet and a bar of soap are not too different.
biggrin.gif

Since I've heard the HD650 now, I do not dislike it, I wouldn't mind to keep them for a long time to come at all. But at the same time I am not too crazy about it either. But one thing for sure though, that is if I got the HD650 I'd still think day and night about the CDP.
biggrin.gif
While I don't quite mind if I have to wait till next year's b'day for the HD650. And who knows it will be the HD700.
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #23 of 27
I auditioned the Marantz CD5001, CD6002 and SA7001. I am aware of the reputation of their headphone out, but I am still surprised by how good they are.

It's 38 min into D day, I should be bagging my kill within 24 hours.
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI, I got the Marantz SA7001, it's mistake to audition it after the CD5001 and CD6002.

You gotta give us your initial impressions, please
icon10.gif

Aug 10, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #26 of 27
IMO.

id probably get te most expensive one on your birthday.

then later on in the year when the wife least expects it - go get another one of the things you like .

that way it will sound least annoying to your wife when she finds out you have another unexpected item in your credit card.

Aug 11, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You gotta give us your initial impressions, please
icon10.gif

I don't know how accurate would my first impression be. And my ears are probably not the sharpest around here, nor I am good at describing what I hear. However I'll try.
smily_headphones1.gif
All the comments below applied to using the player as a source + headphone amp. So when using the players as a source alone might or might not be different.

Coming from my ancient and cheap Sony CDP-XE200, all the Marantz models stands out to me as having a prominent lead vocal/instrument and a lively sound.

First I auditioned the CD5001. To me has a tad heavier presence of the midrange, but seems to be kind of a tiny tad "blocky". Sort of lower in resolution, but not exactly grainy. In digital image, it is sort of an oversharpened low resolution image. However it is slight.

Then I moved to CD6002. It has a little less presence than the CD6001, but somewhat conveys texture and ambiance better. Sound stage is somewhat wider.

Then I tried the SA7001. It's quite similar to the CD6002, except that on some recording instrument have better realism. I'm not sure why, may be it is a combination of resolution and good attack and decay.

However when I brought it home, I don't quite have the same feeling as auditioning it. In fact out of its headphone jack, I find it to be very similar sounding with my old setup (my amp is lively and bright too), but may be a tiny bit cleaner sounding. May be it is a burn in thing, or may be my mind is playing tricks on me. But during my audition I use a higher listening volume than I am at home to overcome the noisy ambience, this could be the reason too. But I'm letting it burn in for a few days and see if there are any changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back