Can't decide - AD700 v HD595 v PC-350 v PC-360 v ?
Aug 1, 2010 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

YamiBas

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm a competitive gamer and I'm going to game on a monitor since my TV is suffering from input lag. However I wan't some neat sound (I'm used to the Logitech Z-5500) so I'll need to buy a decent headset. I will also be using the headset for music and I like music with a lot of bass (hardstyle). Therefore I want a headphone that has a nice deep bass. I've read a lot of articles about these headphones and the PC-350 and PC-360 don't have a lot of bass if im right but I just want some confirmation.

Thanks in advance,
Yami_Bas

P.S.: If you think a other headset will be better for me just let me know because I'm open to suggestions.

Edit:
Gaming precision >> music listening. Music listening is just an nice add :).
Price range 150 - 200 euro

Aug 1, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 18
Forget the PC-350 and PC-360 they lack sound quality.
The choice is the 595 or the AD700. Supposedly the AD700 is bass anemic. So I guess go for the 595 although it isn't bassy either.

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 18
I'm looking for accuracy cause I'm pretty competitive and I'll be plugging it in into a Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 and my budget is 150 - 200 euro :)

Thanks for the quick replies :D

P.S.: I'm probably getting Astro Mixamp along with it :)

Aug 2, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi.

A competitive gamer who wants hard hitting deep bass... I'm thinking closed headphones.

What's your budget for buying new headphones, and what equipment will you be plugging into?

A lot of  competitive gamers do not care about big explosions rumbles and what not, accuracy and detail is prefered so less bass is prefered to hear details in the game environment and positioning is important.

I'd recommend the AD700 or DT880, though you would probably prefer the DT880 because you want bass. PC350 is very bass light more so than the AD700 but it's not that big of a deal in competitive environments where you want precise positioning. You can also perform a mod that will boost the PC350 bass, there's a thread somewhere about that.

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #7 of 18
Heey yeah but I'll also be using it for bassy music but precesion > bass. But the DT880 is really hard to get in the Netherland and also it's out of my price range.... I've read about the mod you are talking about but that's not my thing because I don't want to void the warranty. Any more tips from people?

Quote:
A lot of  competitive gamers do not care about big explosions rumbles and what not, accuracy and detail is prefered so less bass is prefered to hear details in the game environment and positioning is important.

I'd recommend the AD700 or DT880, though you would probably prefer the DT880 because you want bass. PC350 is very bass light more so than the AD700 but it's not that big of a deal in competitive environments where you want precise positioning. You can also perform a mod that will boost the PC350 bass, there's a thread somewhere about that.

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #8 of 18
Try the JVC HA-RX900 if you're looking for bass.

I'm a competitive gamer as well and i own the JVC HA-RX900. I used it for a few months but i found it to be heavy and hot. Also, i couldn't stand the mess of having 2 separate wires getting entangled together (clip on mic and headphones).

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #9 of 18
The AD700 will get you pinpoint accuracy, but lacks bass impact. You'll hear it, but won't feel it. The HD555 will still give you great accuracy with added bass impact but it doesn't go real deep. Those are really your choices in your price range. Maybe someone can recommend a closed phone for you.

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
The AD700 will get you pinpoint accuracy, but lacks bass impact. You'll hear it, but won't feel it. The HD555 will still give you great accuracy with added bass impact but it doesn't go real deep. Those are really your choices in your price range. Maybe someone can recommend a closed phone for you.

True

It`s personally preference really.

The AD700 or HD555 are both great choices and still have good bass.

But what they lack in bass in terms " of feel and rumble " , They make up for in pinpoint accuracy and a big soundstage.

It`s your money, It`s YOUR DECISION.

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #11 of 18
The auzentech soundcard has dolby headphones or cmss-3d? if it has any of them you don't need the mixamp for pc.
The other thing is if it is about competitive edge and bass, Nothing will beat the turtle beach hpa2. 
I have been switching between multiple drivers headset and virtual surround over stereo cans, and I have finally settled with 5.1 sound card and turtle beach hpa2. There is the HPX version, which is just a case of differente cables, that people recommend to be used with astros.

I have astro mixamp, hd600 and hd 25 to use with it, and even the hpx-1 version of turtle beach, and I tell you the 5.1 multiple drivers configuration give you an immersion and awareness no stereo headphones can give you.

For example you can even change the sound between channels, if you camp in game you can lower the volume or mute the front channels as you can see what is in front of you and turn on the back channels, which would alert you what is coming behind.

I don't know if you saw that video on youtube about the camper that received a message and was shot after that? well if he had the turtle beach that wouldn't happen.

I am saying this because I am addicted to Gears of wars II, and with with multiple drivers I know everything that is happening on a map.

If yo decide to go with mixamp or any sort of surround virtualization, you won't lose too much. You will have a bit better quality audio and hear only what is close to  you, giving you just a bit of reaction time, and if you are shooting with an automatic weapon you won't hear people sneaking at you. This is where the multiple drivers headset will be a major help

Just my 2 cents here. Keep in mind that I have been almost daily gears 2 online from release.
Quote:
I'm looking for accuracy cause I'm pretty competitive and I'll be plugging it in into a Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 and my budget is 150 - 200 euro :)

Thanks for the quick replies :D

P.S.: I'm probably getting Astro Mixamp along with it :)

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
The auzentech soundcard has dolby headphones or cmss-3d? if it has any of them you don't need the mixamp for pc.
The other thing is if it is about competitive edge and bass, Nothing will beat the turtle beach hpa2. 
I have been switching between multiple drivers headset and virtual surround over stereo cans, and I have finally settled with 5.1 sound card and turtle beach hpa2. There is the HPX version, which is just a case of differente cables, that people recommend to be used with astros.

I have astro mixamp, hd600 and hd 25 to use with it, and even the hpx-1 version of turtle beach, and I tell you the 5.1 multiple drivers configuration give you an immersion and awareness no stereo headphones can give you.

For example you can even change the sound between channels, if you camp in game you can lower the volume or mute the front channels as you can see what is in front of you and turn on the back channels, which would alert you what is coming behind.

I don't know if you saw that video on youtube about the camper that received a message and was shot after that? well if he had the turtle beach that wouldn't happen.

I am saying this because I am addicted to Gears of wars II, and with with multiple drivers I know everything that is happening on a map.

If yo decide to go with mixamp or any sort of surround virtualization, you won't lose too much. You will have a bit better quality audio and hear only what is close to  you, giving you just a bit of reaction time, and if you are shooting with an automatic weapon you won't hear people sneaking at you. This is where the multiple drivers headset will be a major help

Just my 2 cents here. Keep in mind that I have been almost daily gears 2 online from release.

Im glad you are liking the HPA2s. They just werent my cup of tea.

To the OP, Ive had the  X41s, PX21s, HPA2, Tritton AX720 and still own Astro A40, AD700s and RX900 and too be honest Im really really enjoying the RX900s. They are comfortable and the sound quality is amazing for such a low price. Are they the best out there, probably not but in comparison to the others Ive owed they sound great. Great bass, a fairly wide soundstage. Directional cues are great for FPS games. Im in the process of modding them with a complete recable and mic and they are so far my favorite. Lots of potential for such a low priced can.

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #13 of 18
I think you couldn't take the most of what the hpa2 offers. I am enjoying as I know what to expect from them. I had the roccat kave but I must use open headphones as my wife chats with me while I game sometimes. The bass on HPA2 mode (with the amplifier is TOOOO MUCH). That is great because if you want slamming bass you have and if you want less just reduce it. or just lower the bass volume. so yeah I think they do what I need perfectly. Plus the mic is very good. My friends say it is the best I have as I have several mics, from Wireless xbox 360 official, Throat mic, wired official, zalman...
Did you ever use it in a 5.1 configuration?

Quote:
Im glad you are liking the HPA2s. They just werent my cup of tea.

To the OP, Ive had the  X41s, PX21s, HPA2, Tritton AX720 and still own Astro A40, AD700s and RX900 and too be honest Im really really enjoying the RX900s. They are comfortable and the sound quality is amazing for such a low price. Are they the best out there, probably not but in comparison to the others Ive owed they sound great. Great bass, a fairly wide soundstage. Directional cues are great for FPS games. Im in the process of modding them with a complete recable and mic and they are so far my favorite. Lots of potential for such a low priced can.

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
I think you couldn't take the most of what the hpa2 offers. I am enjoying as I know what to expect from them. I had the roccat kave but I must use open headphones as my wife chats with me while I game sometimes. The bass on HPA2 mode (with the amplifier is TOOOO MUCH). That is great because if you want slamming bass you have and if you want less just reduce it. or just lower the bass volume. so yeah I think they do what I need perfectly. Plus the mic is very good. My friends say it is the best I have as I have several mics, from Wireless xbox 360 official, Throat mic, wired official, zalman...
Did you ever use it in a 5.1 configuration?

No only with the mixamp because I dont really game on the PC. They may have been better but for my specific application they were a bit lack luster. 

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #15 of 18
Umm I read stuff about the fact that 7.1 or 5.1 headphones are just overrated the drivers in there aren't as good as in stereo headphones and virtualization still does a nice job. So basically that they are a waste of money (can someone confirm this?). So what everyone is saying that the HD595 and AD700 are bassy but they don't have the real feel? However I'm fine with that if they provide me a lot accuracy since the music playing with the headset is mostly during the evenings. For the info I'll also be using my headphones for the xbox so I need the Astro Mixamp :wink:. Can anyone confirm the best mic for me?

P.S.: Gaming >> listening to music, but it'll be nice add to have a decent bass in the headphone :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back