Cans to IEMs to Cans (Need help in buying new cans)
Jan 11, 2011 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ValSic

100+ Head-Fier
I'm getting tired of using IEMs since I really think that full sized cans would actually be better for the price minus the portability.
I 've had alot of experiences with IEMs from my favorite Ortofon EQ-5 , Monster Turbines Pro coppers , Monster Turbines , UE Triple Fi 10 , RE0 and I've only experienced one full sized headphone (which was actually my first mid-fi hps) the Sennheiser HD 555.

I'm gonna be honest i forgot how the Sennheiser HD 555 sound , I forgot how I liked them but I can definitely remember how they had full clarity and detail.

I listen to all kinds of music from Acoustic , Instrumentals , Classical to Rock , K-Pop/pop , Rap and Hip-hop. I find myself listening to Acoustic Instrumentals more often or Acoustic in general but I also listen to alot of Kpop/Pop from time to time so they're pretty mixed.

I CRAVE mid-range , detail and clarity , a little bass for K-Pop/Pop/Hip hop and a little treble to keep them upfront. Soundstage isn't really a priority but a little of it won't hurt.

I'm also trying to find an HP that would actually benefit from a FiiO E7/9 Combo

I haven't read about alot of HPs yet (as I've been into IEMs for a long time) but here's what I think

Sennheiser HD 650 (used)
Sennheiser Hd 600 (used)
Sennheiser HD 595
Beyerdynamic Dt880/990

I'm selling my Orotofon EQ-5 for this so I guess I only have a limited budget which is from $220-230.

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 4
If you can find HD650 u can afford go for it. I spend more than 2 weeks trying a lot of different headphones just to discover by an accident that HD650 are what i was looking for in terms of tight well controlled punchy not bloated bass, great mids and highs with clarity details and transperancy. I like DT990 too except brightness on highs.  i even found equalaiser setting which let me to lower brightness to acceptable to me level but not get rid of it but when i walked in into the store planing to get 598 to see if they will do the job i discovered a great deal on 650 which i was unable to pass since i missed newegg's black friday one on them and when i came home and tried them i said finally found it. I also tried DT880 just to find out that their details are not as good as 990 while brightness is gone. My pair of DT990 is on for sale forum for 2 weeks now but nobody contacting me

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 4
DT880 sounds about right for what you want I think.

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
If you can find HD650 u can afford go for it. I spend more than 2 weeks trying a lot of different headphones just to discover by an accident that HD650 are what i was looking for in terms of tight well controlled punchy not bloated bass, great mids and highs with clarity details and transperancy. I like DT990 too except brightness on highs.  i even found equalaiser setting which let me to lower brightness to acceptable to me level but not get rid of it but when i walked in into the store planing to get 598 to see if they will do the job i discovered a great deal on 650 which i was unable to pass since i missed newegg's black friday one on them and when i came home and tried them i said finally found it. I also tried DT880 just to find out that their details are not as good as 990 while brightness is gone. My pair of DT990 is on for sale forum for 2 weeks now but nobody contacting me

Hmmm... I crossed out the 650's out of my list because i found out that they were gonna be a little too dark for my taste.

---

Does anybody have any experience with the DT880 (600ohms) vs HD600s in terms of overall genres?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back