Cans to complement Grado RS-1
Aug 30, 2011 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bennyhaha812

Head-Fier
Curious what cans would best complement the RS-1?  I am mainly looking for something that would provide some more punch in the low area for hip-hop, drums n' bass, jungle, breakbeat, etc.  The Grado are great for jazz, rock (and all of its sub genre), classical etc.   What does everyone think? 

Sep 1, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 7
I have been looking into the Ultrasone Pro 900 in the forums.  They look like they may be a good one to try out.  The price is decent.  I am new to this, so I haven't heard much besides my earbuds which were a huge step up in sound prior to my purchase of the Grado RS-1 cans.  I love my Grado, but now I am curious about other phones.  The Grado sound so life like. With  hip-hop and electronica they seem to lack the "punch" although they maintain an accurate, tight, and balanced bass.  Certain types of music are just more enjoyable with that bass thumping, hence my inquiry.  Any other suggestions?  How are Audio Technica or Denon?  What about AKG?  Are any of these decent?  Maybe 300-500 dollar price range.  Would any of these brands have the same detail or accuracy as the Grados with that bass punch?  Should I be looking at closed cans?  I need to go find a place to listen to them all!!!!   Sigh.....

Sep 1, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 7
from experience: for hip hop, Denon D5000. D2000 might be close enough in SQ to suffice. bass for miles, can be had for <500 bucks and very different from the grado sound sig. 

Sep 1, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 7
Have you considered a Fostex T50. I had the T50 on my radar for a long time and finally pulled the trigger. I'm pretty much a Grado head myself and was not sure what I was going to get from the various descriptions in the T50 thread. I bought an HF2 back when I was seriously considering a T50 but upGradoed instead. Another head fier I cant recall who likened the T50 as the perfect compliment to his HF2 in the HF2 review comparison thread. I dont know about the perfect part but it is a pretty nice headphone. It's closed rather than open and much more neutral than the Grado. The down side is it does require some modifications to get the best out of it, although it sounds pretty good stock. I like the Grado sound better, but the T50 has a very intoxicating quality to it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back