Cans as good as speakers? Can you convince an old timer?
Nov 15, 2006 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

Abouna

500+ Head-Fier
I need some help. My father (61) spent the 70's listening to a high end B&O stereo, quad speakers with the cleanest sound you could get at that time. He specifically bought with clarity NOT bass and power in mind.

Fast forward to now. To save space and lighten up the decor, as time goes by, the B&O system was sold. He now has just a surround sound set-up geared toward movies.

However, his desire for good clean true to life sound has never wavered. I bought him a set of Creative canals (the Sennheiser ones) and he loves them. He is however aware of their limitations. He wants more out of his cans.

My question is this: Can I get him soemthing, either straight cans or with an amp, that will give him that big clean sound? Can it be done for under $200?

I realize I may be asking for a lot here, but I assume I can get him into something that will wow him in that range. I need though.

His one major caveat, they cannot be hot! He tried a pair of my brother's Sony V6's and complained they were hot.

Thanks for the help.

Nov 15, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 89
Based on what I've read, he might find the Stax SR-X Mk3 with SRD6 or SRD7 transformer to be suitable. They are electrostatic (like old Quads) and run from an amplifiersspeaker terminals, not headphone socket. They sit on the ears rather than enclose them. Sadly out of production, you'd have to get them secondhand from ebay or similar and can run to $300 unless you luck out.

I've yet to get a set myself but by all accounts they are very detailed and clean sounding. Not bassy.

Nov 15, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 89
Since your dad already has some experience with Sennheiser, maybe you should stay with that brand. So are the headphones also going to be used for the surround setup? If so, I'd say go with the HD580s ($140 from Amazon). Out of the box, they sound great on a surround reciever (they're the bomb for movies).

The only thing is they can sound a bit dark for music, unamped. For cheaper headphone amps, the little dot micro seems to be getting a nod around the forums here. If you're looking for a begining headphone for music, then the HD595 is more versatile. Its soundstage isn't as big, but it doesn't sound dark when its unamped. Amped it gets more detailed and "audiophile" sounding. The 580s will sound like loudspeakers on a good amped source.

Nov 15, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose
The 580s will sound like loudspeakers on a good amped source.

blink.gif

I politely have to disgree with both this and the statment that they sound great out of a surround receiver/processor. The have neither the soundstage, nor the crispness of a well put together stereo rig. Out of almost all the receivers I've auditioned, these problems just get further compounded. Soundstaging is narrowed, imaging is smeared, and there is a noticeable mid range veil present without proper amping. Properly amped I admit they do sound very good for the money but still can't compare if your father is used to a high quality, clean & crisp stereo set-up.

Judging by the sound signature you said your father loves, I would look into a pair of Grado SR225s. They provide music that meets all your prerequisites, airy highs, unmatched clarity for the price, and tight clean bass. The only area where the 225s exhibit some faults is in it's soundstaging. It is quite a bit more forward than normal headphones and speakers so I don't know if your father would like that.

I have not had much experience with electrostatic headphones however they too are known for their clean highs and tight bass so I would look into a used pair on eBay like an SR-X, SR-5, or a Gamma.

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 89
I was about to recommend the 2003 Beyerdynamic DT880 ($149 at B&H), but the sound is marginal without an amp.

So, how about the Alessandro MS-1? It's $99 and is well-loved here.

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 89
Since your father has a surround sound unit; I presume he has some type of surround sound receiver? With any luck at all that receiver may make a reasonably good headphone amp.

Then a simple question of whether a warmer or cooler sound is what he is after may lead you to either....for example...a warmer pair of HD580s or a cooler, say, MS-1s or a used pair of MS2is.

My ears have a few more miles on them than your father, so I find the MS2i to be a good general pair of cans for ears that may have lost a bit of the highs over time.

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 89
Well if we're getting specific, no headphone set-up in the $200 range is going to compete with a high end stereo set-up!

This gets back to what your father is looking for, and that's why I suggested the 580. If he's more used to a surround rig now, IMHO, the 580s sound signature is very complimentary to the cinematic effects that most recievers now employ (ones like Denon and Onkyo especially). Using Dolby Headphone, I frankly can't see how the 580's soundstage would be considered small by any means?? The 595s are brighter and more upfront then the 580s.....so they're nicer for many genres of music. These are also headphones that are very comfortable and can be worn for a long time.

But yes, if you're looking for something with a brighter, uncolored signature....then maybe something else like the Grado. The problem with the Grado is that there's no soundstage at all. Maybe Beyers......or maybe the AKG 501 (that one has a very large soundstage and doesn't have much bass at all).

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Properly amped I admit they do sound very good for the money but still can't compare if your father is used to a high quality, clean & crisp stereo set-up.

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #11 of 89
Am I the only one who hears K501's screaming for attention in this thread?

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #12 of 89
hey, I just mentioned that in my post!
eggosmile.gif
Though granted I didn't scream it. Actually, through a reciever they might sound OK for movies.....my main problem is that when they get really amped, they get a huge soundstage.

Here again, it depends on what your father is going to use them for.....it's always hard to gauge what someone's preferences might be!

Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162
Am I the only one who hears K501's screaming for attention in this thread?

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #13 of 89
Beyers would be a good bit better for movies IMO, even considering the price... but I'm afraid they might sound hot to some. K501s probably fit the original query better (or at least the bass-shy version would).
I don't know how hot the Alessandros sound. The Senns don't sound like what the fellow wants at all but at least they aren't hot.

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #14 of 89
I guess this is the main problem....comfortable headphone thats bright sounding.....Grados can be very uncomfortable for some.....Beyers are probably more comfortable, but they still get hot....

I think the HD595s might be a good comprimise between them.....they're not as bright as Grados, but they are very comfortable. They have a soundstage and they're not as dark as the 580s. Only things that would be better would be electrostats....

Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat
Beyers would be a good bit better for movies IMO, even considering the price... but I'm afraid they might sound hot to some. K501s probably fit the original query better (or at least the bass-shy version would).
I don't know how hot the Alessandros sound. The Senns don't sound like what the fellow wants at all but at least they aren't hot.

Nov 15, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #15 of 89
Anybody that listens to and enjoys music should only need to listen to something that is as close to music as what they deem or dream music to sound like. As to old-timer, I am not sure what the hell that is unless it means a petrified brain, in which case it won't matter what is listened to. Old timer is a state of mind that can be anywhere from a young person to an ancient one (whatever that is). Music is music and it doesn't have to cost anyone's arm and extra leg to get there just some evaluative listening time but this will be up to the person listening. I would get a nice portable amp and some Portapros and let it take off from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back